3D Modelling of the Thoracic Aorta

Thiran
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: 3D Modelling of the Thoracic Aorta

Kikinis, Ron,M.D.
Hi Thiran,
Have you checked out TCIA? They have CT from lung cancer patients. Might have the thoracic aortas that you are looking for.

Best

Ron
On Jan 21, 2016, at 6:37 PM, Thiran <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear Slicer community,

As part of my dissertation I've been asked to conduct a CFD study of the
blood flow through the thoracic aorta. In order to do this I need to create
a 3D model of the aorta in either a CAD program or ICEM which is part of the
ANSYS package.

I've done some research and it seems the best way to model the aorta is to
extract images of the aorta from CT or MRI scans. Am I correct in thinking
this?

Poking around on here and the internet I have acquired a free set of data
slices from:

http://www.osirix-viewer.com/datasets/

Although I don't know how good the quality of them will be. Does anyone know
of any data sets that they would recommend for the thoracic aorta? Free or
not.

Thank you in advance,

Thiran

-----
Thiran Dhinakaran
Mechanical Engineering Student
Brunel University London

Ron Kikinis, M.D.,
Robert Greenes Distinguished Director of Biomedical Informatics,
Professor of Radiology, Harvard Medical School,
Director, Surgical Planning Laboratory
[hidden email]
http://www.spl.harvard.edu/~kikinis

Re: 3D Modelling of the Thoracic Aorta

Greg Tarr

Hey Thiran - I think that CT aortogram would give you the best spatial resolution.

Try these:

http://www.osirix-viewer.com/datasets/DATA/MECANIX.zip

http://www.osirix-viewer.com/datasets/DATA/OBELIX.zip

Cheers,

Greg

CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: 3D Modelling of the Thoracic Aorta

arumiat
My understanding is the VMTK Slicer extension unfortunately doesn't work. The native VMTK toolkit works nice though (vmtk.org), happy to help you get up & running with it

------------------------------------
V A L A design
+ 4 4 (0) 2 0 3 6 3 7 0 0 6 2
IVALA LTD.   REG NO.7931234

On 27 January 2016 at 18:17, Thiran <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you Greg and Ron. I was able to download a range of samples for the
thoracic aorta.

What I'm having trouble with at the moment is segmenting the aorta. I've
looked around but I can't seem to fine any tutorials to do it. The best
method seems to be using the VMTK slicer extension. However, I can't seem to
find it in the 3DSlicer4.5 Extension Manager. Is it available to install
anywhere?

Regards,

Thiran

-----

CONTENTS DELETED

chir.set@free.fr
Le mercredi 27 janvier 2016 18:17:15 CET Thiran a écrit :
> What I'm having trouble with at the moment is segmenting the aorta.

You may use Simple Region Growing on a fiducial point placed in the aorta. It
usually gives good segmentation results.

Re: 3D Modelling of the Thoracic Aorta

Greg Tarr
Hi Thiran,

Check out this tutorial: