3D Slicer capability ?

frederic
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: 3D Slicer capability ?

Sylvain Jaume-4
Hello Fred,

You might need to use the Extract Subvolume module by Andriy Fedorov to crop your data set before applying the Grayscale Model Maker. Alternatively you can segment your data set using the Editor module and apply the Model Maker module (see mesh icon in the right panel of the GUI of the Editor module).

Best,
Sylvain

On Feb 6, 2010, at 4:23 PM, "Fred" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I my study, I have to open a DICOM data set of a shoulder. I have to extract and get a 3D model of the humerus and the scapula separetly. From now, I am ony able to get the entire 3D model of the sholder. Is it possible to make a model of one bone only ?

Your help would be appreciated

Fred

Re: 3D Slicer capability ?

Kikinis, Ron,M.D.
http://www.slicer.org/slicerWiki/images/8/80/OrbitSegmentationTutorial.pdf

A link to a tutorial on how to use the editor.

On 2/6/10 4:50 PM, Sylvain Jaume wrote:

> Hello Fred,
>
> You might need to use the Extract Subvolume module by Andriy Fedorov to
> crop your data set before applying the Grayscale Model Maker.
> Alternatively you can segment your data set using the Editor module and
> apply the Model Maker module (see mesh icon in the right panel of the
> GUI of the Editor module).
>
> Best,
> Sylvain
>
> On Feb 6, 2010, at 4:23 PM, "Fred" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I my study, I have to open a DICOM data set of a shoulder. I have to
>> extract and get a 3D model of the humerus and the scapula separetly.
>> From now, I am ony able to get the entire 3D model of the sholder. Is
>> it possible to make a model of one bone only ?
>> Your help would be appreciated
>> Fred

Ron Kikinis, M.D.,
Professor of Radiology, Harvard Medical School
Director, Surgical Planning Laboratory
http://www.spl.harvard.edu/~kikinis

Re: Finite element analysis from .stl ?

Sylvain Jaume-2
Hi Fred,

I'm forwarding your question to Professor Magnotta and Professor
Grosland, who have developed a Finite Element package interacting with
Slicer:

http://www.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/NA-MIC_NCBC_Collaboration:Automated_FE_Mesh_Development

Best,
Sylvain

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Fred <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sylvain,
> I finally got a very nice 3D surface with the method you proposed to me. I
> export it as .stl file and open it in pro/e to make finite element analysis.
> I don't have the reverse engineer package so I have to fin another way to
> make finite element analysis.
>
> Is there a way to do finite element analysis from a .stl with open source
> software ?
>
> Actuelly, I am not capable to create a mesh in 3Dslicer with my laptop. If I
> was able, the exporting would  be .stl ? So I would have the same problem in
> pro/e ?

Curtis Lisle
Hi Fred,
I work with the Iowa team on the Slicer FE Meshing module. This module
provides an easy way to create hexahedral meshes from STL surface
boundary files.  There is a tutorial on using the module available on
the Slicer 3.2 training page.  Also, I'll be glad to help with your
application of our module. Please contact me directly with your usage
questions. Thanks.

Curtis

On Feb 20, 2010, at 12:08 PM, Sylvain Jaume <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> I'm forwarding your question to Professor Magnotta and Professor
> Grosland, who have developed a Finite Element package interacting with
> Slicer:
>
> http://www.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/NA-MIC_NCBC_Collaboration:Automated_FE_Mesh_Development
>
> Best,
> Sylvain
>
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Fred <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sylvain,
>> I finally got a very nice 3D surface with the method you proposed
>> to me. I
>> export it as .stl file and open it in pro/e to make finite element
>> analysis.
>> I don't have the reverse engineer package so I have to fin another
>> way to
>> make finite element analysis.
>>
>> Is there a way to do finite element analysis from a .stl with open
>> source
>> software ?
>>
>> Actuelly, I am not capable to create a mesh in 3Dslicer with my
>> laptop. If I
>> was able, the exporting would  be .stl ? So I would have the same
>> problem in
>> pro/e ?

Magnotta, Vincent A
Re: Finite element analysis from .stl ?
Fred,

There is a module in 3DSlicer called "IA_FEMesh" that is available from the Modules menu. A turorial showing how to generate a FE mesh from an STL file can be found at here:

This module can output the mesh in VTK format or as an Abaqus input file. If you have specific questions, feel free to let us know.

Sincerely,
Vince

Associate Professor
Department of Radiology