3D Volume question (Slicer 4.1.1)

Shannon G. Kroeker

Hello.

I have been trying to create a 3D reconstruction of a skull from a single set of axial CT images.

Can I create a 3D volume using only the axial images? For some reason I was able to create a 3D volume with the exemplar MRHead file (comes with Slicer 4.1.1) but not with my own set of DICOM images that only has the axial slices. Is there a way to do it?

Thank you for your assistance.

Shannon Kroeker, PhD

Engineer in Training

MEA Forensic Engineers & Scientists

www.meaforensic.com

778 724 1629

Re: 3D Volume question (Slicer 4.1.1)

Sharp, Gregory C.

Hi Shannon,

> I have been trying to create a 3D reconstruction of a skull from a single
> set of axial CT images.
>
> Can I create a 3D volume using only the axial images? For some reason I was
> able to create a 3D volume with the exemplar MRHead file (comes with Slicer
> 4.1.1) but not with my own set of DICOM images that only has the axial
> slices. Is there a way to do it?

I'm assuming you mean multi-planar reconstruction.  Yes, it is possible!

In slicer, there is a different workflow for DICOM and non-DICOM.
Probably you got caught using the non-DICOM workflow.  Try this:

File -> DICOM
Then navigate to the directory with the dicom files and click "Choose"
This brings up the DICOM browser
Click "Import"
Again, navigate to the directory with the dicom files and click "Import"
You should see a "tree view"
Expand the tree view to see the DICOM series you want, and then highlight it
Click "Load selection to Slicer"

Greg
--
Greg Sharp, PhD