About Import DICOM dataset with anonymized DICOM data

About Import DICOM dataset with anonymized DICOM data

Tian
I tried to search for the answer in the forum, but didn't see the corresponding topic.

I was importing anonymized DICOM data into 3D Slicer. The DICOM data was anonymized using MATLAB's anon function. When I imported them, 3D Slicer gave me 91 new patients (since there were 91 dcm files for this case.) I wonder how the 3D Slicer sorts the DICOM file sets and organizes them into one patient. So I can keep the info in the dcm hearder, not to be anonymized.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Tian

Re: About Import DICOM dataset with anonymized DICOM data

Andras Lasso-2
Proper DICOM anonymization is extremely difficult to implement. You cannot just wipe values that may identify a patient but you need to consistently replace the values with something else, for example the same ID has to be replaced by the same modified ID across many information objects, date&time values have to be shifted randomly but with the same offset, you have to make sure you remove burnt-in annotations (typical in secondary captures), etc.

If you use a low-level tool, such as Matlab's dicomanon then you need to know the DICOM standard very well and know exactly what your data sets contain and what to do with each field.

If you don't really care about metadata at all then just write the DICOM files into a research format (for example nrrd, https://subversion.assembla.com/svn/slicerrt/trunk/MatlabBridge/src/MatlabCommander/commandserver/nrrdwrite.m).

If you need images in DICOM format then either learn about DICOM standard and your data sets and determine a proper dicomanon configuration; or use a high-level DICOM anonymization tool that guides you through the anonymization process and at the end produces valid images.

Re: About Import DICOM dataset with anonymized DICOM data

Andrey Fedorov-2
This page includes pointers to various DICOM de-identification tools:
http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fninf.2014.00082/full

I suggest you take a look at
http://mircwiki.rsna.org/index.php?title=The_CTP_DICOM_Anonymizer