Controlling W/L of Foreground volume with mouse

Controlling W/L of Foreground volume with mouse

Fernando Pérez-García
Hi all,

Is there a shortcut to quickly toggle between Background and Foreground
volumes? It's a button I usually include in my modules, since I find it
annoying to have to toggle to be able to change the Window/Level of my
Foreground image.

Could this be easily implemented? For example using Ctrl + Right-click?

Fernando

Re: Controlling W/L of Foreground volume with mouse

Andras Lasso-2
Would Alt + Left button drag-and-drop work? It would be easy to implement.

Is there a shortcut to quickly toggle between Background and Foreground volumes? It's a button I usually include in my modules, since I find it annoying to have to toggle to be able to change the Window/Level of my Foreground image.

Could this be easily implemented? For example using Ctrl + Right-click?

Fernando

Re: Controlling W/L of Foreground volume with mouse

Fernando Pérez-García
I just tried Alt + Left button on my computer (running Ubuntu 14.04) and it
unmaximized and dragged my Slicer window. Maybe you might want to avoid
overlapping shortcuts between Slicer and the OS.

I'm not sure what you mean by drag-and-drop though (in this specific
scenario).

Fernando

Fernando

Re: Controlling W/L of Foreground volume with mouse

I meant doing the same with the mouse, but holding down the Alt key would change window/level of the foreground volume.

I just tried Alt + Left button on my computer (running Ubuntu 14.04) and it unmaximized and dragged my Slicer window. Maybe you might want to avoid overlapping shortcuts between Slicer and the OS.

I'm not sure what you mean by drag-and-drop though (in this specific scenario).

Fernando

I just tried Alt + Left button on my computer (running Ubuntu 14.04) and it unmaximized and dragged my Slicer window. Maybe you might want to avoid overlapping shortcuts between Slicer and the OS.

I'm not sure what you mean by drag-and-drop though (in this specific scenario).

Fernando

Re: Controlling W/L of Foreground volume with mouse

Ubuntu stealing Alt + mouse by default seems odd (major application use this shortcut extensively), but Slicer has not used the Alt modifier for anything else, so we could try to find another way to indicate background W/L change.

Ctrl + Mouse-click-and-drag is already used for fade between foreground/background.

Some options:

·         Use Ctrl + Shift + Mouse-click-and-drag for foreground W/L change.

·         Automatically select foreground/background based on which layer is more visible: if foreground visibility > 50% then Mouse-click-and-drag could change foreground.

Andras

[...]

Sharp, Gregory C.

Fernando, you are not alone.  Happiness might be found through Unity preferences.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+alt+mouse

Andras, if Slicer is to be changed, could it be user-configurable?

Ok so that's what I tried and the "unmaximize" happened. Must be default for this OS.

Fernando

I meant doing the same with the mouse, but holding down the Alt key would change window/level of the foreground volume.

I just tried Alt + Left button on my computer (running Ubuntu 14.04) and it unmaximized and dragged my Slicer window. Maybe you might want to avoid overlapping shortcuts between Slicer and the OS.

I'm not sure what you mean by drag-and-drop though (in this specific scenario).

Fernando

Re: Controlling W/L of Foreground volume with mouse

Steve Pieper-2
We do need to be very careful with key bindings since control-left-mousebutton on macs is the way you get a right-mousebutton context menu, so control-alt-left-mousebutton also triggers that.

Be sure to consider the existing shortcuts when designing new ones:

-Steve

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Sharp, Gregory C. <[hidden email]> wrote:

Fernando, you are not alone.  Happiness might be found through Unity preferences.

Andras, if Slicer is to be changed, could it be user-configurable?

Ok so that's what I tried and the "unmaximize" happened. Must be default for this OS.

Fernando

I meant doing the same with the mouse, but holding down the Alt key would change window/level of the foreground volume.

I just tried Alt + Left button on my computer (running Ubuntu 14.04) and it unmaximized and dragged my Slicer window. Maybe you might want to avoid overlapping shortcuts between Slicer and the OS.

I'm not sure what you mean by drag-and-drop though (in this specific scenario).

Fernando

Re: Controlling W/L of Foreground volume with mouse

OK, it’s probably better to not complicate things with more modifiers. I’ve implemented automatic selection of foreground/background based on opacity and position (adjust foreground if it is visible at the mouse click position) and the behavior feels very intuitive to me.

Should I integrate this so you can try it in tomorrow’s nightly?

Andras

[...]

I mean mouse position inside/outside the volume (it would not be difficult to look into voxel values but the behavior would not be very predictable).

In case of fMRI (structural image is background, functional image is foreground), to change structural intensity you could:

A.      Click-and-drag starting anywhere outside foreground volume (e.g., clicking in the black background); or

B.      Set foreground opacity to 0, click-and-drag, restore foreground opacity

Andras

[...]

I agree that proper centralized mouse mode handling would be great – it would help here and also allow controlling many things with the mouse (browsing slices, change opacity, ROI-based auto W/L, …).

However, until then auto-select of volume for W/L adjustment is already an improvement. Currently users often accidentally adjust W/L of the invisible background volume and have no idea how to change W/L of the foreground volume.

I commit the change to give a chance for people to try it and we can tune the behavior based on feedbacks.

Andras

Ok so that's what I tried and the "unmaximize" happened. Must be default for this OS.

Fernando

I meant doing the same with the mouse, but holding down the Alt key would change window/level of the foreground volume.

I just tried Alt + Left button on my computer (running Ubuntu 14.04) and it unmaximized and dragged my Slicer window. Maybe you might want to avoid overlapping shortcuts between Slicer and the OS.

I'm not sure what you mean by drag-and-drop though (in this specific scenario).

Fernando

Re: Controlling W/L of Foreground volume with mouse

Andrey Fedorov-2

> However, until then auto-select of volume for W/L adjustment is already an
> improvement. Currently users often accidentally adjust W/L of the invisible
> background volume and have no idea how to change W/L of the foreground
> volume.

I agree. We've been doing this for quite some time in SliceTracker.

Will be great to have this available in the main application.

Definitely would be even better to have context menu and mouse mode icons!

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree that proper centralized mouse mode handling would be great – it
> would help here and also allow controlling many things with the mouse
> (browsing slices, change opacity, ROI-based auto W/L, …).
>

> However, until then auto-select of volume for W/L adjustment is already an
> improvement. Currently users often accidentally adjust W/L of the invisible
> background volume and have no idea how to change W/L of the foreground
> volume.
>

> I commit the change to give a chance for people to try it and we can tune
> the behavior based on feedbacks.
>

> Andras

By the way, a context menu should be pretty easy to add.  Maybe we should start a labs page with a wishlist.

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Andrey Fedorov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> However, until then auto-select of volume for W/L adjustment is already an
> improvement. Currently users often accidentally adjust W/L of the invisible
> background volume and have no idea how to change W/L of the foreground
> volume.

I agree. We've been doing this for quite some time in SliceTracker.

Will be great to have this available in the main application.

Definitely would be even better to have context menu and mouse mode icons!

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I agree that proper centralized mouse mode handling would be great – it
> would help here and also allow controlling many things with the mouse
> (browsing slices, change opacity, ROI-based auto W/L, …).
>

> However, until then auto-select of volume for W/L adjustment is already an
> improvement. Currently users often accidentally adjust W/L of the invisible
> background volume and have no idea how to change W/L of the foreground
> volume.
>

> I commit the change to give a chance for people to try it and we can tune
> the behavior based on feedbacks.
>

> Andras

Csaba Pinter-2

Here’s the project page about the context menu and mouse modes

http://www.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/2013_Project_Week:SimplifyRendererMouseInteraction

This could be a starting point for future discussions, and can be added to the labs page.

csaba