Export RGB dicom

Julien Finet
Hi Slicers,

Is there a way to export to DICOM an unsigned char RGB volume ?
If it is not possible, what would it take to support it ?

Thanks,
Julien.

Re: Export RGB dicom

Steve Pieper-2
Hi Julien -

There are probably several ways to export RGB DICOM but I'm not any is ready to go right out of the box.  One approach is to use the dcmtk utilities that we bundle with Slicer to make a dicom Secondary Capture image from a QPixmap.  The basic steps are here [1].

If you want to make a legitimate modality image, like color doppler US, you might be best to use pydicom and set the flags.

The ITK-based CLI for making DICOMs may or may not handle RGB, I haven't looked.  But it's somewhat limited in terms of what you can do with the header.

HTH,
Steve