Exporting 3D model in .stl format

Viraj Belekar
Hello everyone,

I followed this YouTube tutorial to create a 3D model from a DICOM file by exporting it in .stl format. The rectangular box which is created to crop the volume gets also exported as a part of the .stl file. I don't want this box to be a part of the .stl file. Can you help?

Thank you.

Best Regards

Viraj Vilas Belekar
B.Tech(Mechanical Engineering)
Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee, India

vein.stl (8M) Download Attachment

Re: Exporting 3D model in .stl format

Steve Pieper-2
Hi -

From a quick look at your stl file it seems you are exporting the wrong model.

You should try the new segment editor and follow the tutorial provided for exporting stl files:

HTH,
Steve

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 7:51 AM, Viraj Belekar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I followed this YouTube tutorial to create a 3D model from a DICOM file by exporting it in .stl format. The rectangular box which is created to crop the volume gets also exported as a part of the .stl file. I don't want this box to be a part of the .stl file. Can you help?

Thank you.

Best Regards

Viraj Vilas Belekar
B.Tech(Mechanical Engineering)
Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee, India

Re: Exporting 3D model in .stl format

Viraj Belekar
Hello Mr. Steve,

Thanks for your reply. But I wasn't able to follow the steps mentioned in slides no. 16, 19 and 20. Keep selected island doesn't appear in my version of slicer(4.6.2). And scissor is also not working. I will tell you what I did in my previous attempt before I dropped an email to you:

1) Downloaded CTA abdomen (panoramix) dicom files(from the sample files) and tried to follow the steps here

2) I am trying to create an .stl file for the veins present in the abdomen area in this file.

Can you help sir?

Thanks

Regards
Viraj Belekar

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 11:11 PM, Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi -

From a quick look at your stl file it seems you are exporting the wrong model.

You should try the new segment editor and follow the tutorial provided for exporting stl files:

HTH,
Steve

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 7:51 AM, Viraj Belekar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I followed this YouTube tutorial to create a 3D model from a DICOM file by exporting it in .stl format. The rectangular box which is created to crop the volume gets also exported as a part of the .stl file. I don't want this box to be a part of the .stl file. Can you help?

Thank you.

Best Regards

Viraj Vilas Belekar
B.Tech(Mechanical Engineering)
Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee, India

Re: Exporting 3D model in .stl format

Andras Lasso-2

User latest nightly version, segment editor has been improved a lot since the latest stable version.

Andras

Re: Exporting 3D model in .stl format

Use latest nightly version.

Andras

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

User latest nightly version, segment editor has been improved a lot since the latest stable version.

Andras

Re: Exporting 3D model in .stl format

Viraj Belekar
Mr. Andras,

The one I am using(4.6.2) is the latest one I suppose.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 5:31 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

Use latest nightly version.

Andras

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

User latest nightly version, segment editor has been improved a lot since the latest stable version.

Andras

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

User latest nightly version, segment editor has been improved a lot since the latest stable version.

Andras

Re: Exporting 3D model in .stl format

Viraj Belekar
Hello everyone,

I have installed the latest nightly version, still the problem persists. I have attached my new .stl file. Can anyone please help? And what do we keep the threshold range for arteries and veins?

PFA: stl file

Thank you.

Best Regards
Viraj Belekar

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 6:22 PM, Viraj Belekar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok I have installed the nightly version now. I will see how it works. Thanks a lot!

Regards
Viraj

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 6:20 PM, Viraj Belekar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mr. Andras,

The one I am using(4.6.2) is the latest one I suppose.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 5:31 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

Use latest nightly version.

Andras

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

User latest nightly version, segment editor has been improved a lot since the latest stable version.

Andras

vein.stl (1M) Download Attachment

Re: Exporting 3D model in .stl format

A screenshot does not tell much. Please save your scene and share it using dropbox/onedrive/google drive so that I can have a look.

Andras

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

User latest nightly version, segment editor has been improved a lot since the latest stable version.

Andras

Re: Exporting 3D model in .stl format

Viraj Belekar
Hello Mr. Andras,

Please use the following link to view the scene:

Thanks and Regards
Viraj

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 8:05 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

A screenshot does not tell much. Please save your scene and share it using dropbox/onedrive/google drive so that I can have a look.

Andras

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

User latest nightly version, segment editor has been improved a lot since the latest stable version.

Andras

Re: Exporting 3D model in .stl format

Thank you, the video was useful.

1.       Use Segment editor module instead of the old Editor module.

2.       In the threshold effect, adjust the lower threshold using the slider until you see only the vessel highlighted.