Fwd: Inversion of cropped volume rendered image

Fwd: Inversion of cropped volume rendered image

Moiz Qureshi
Hi there,
I am a doctor with an interest in Temporomandibular joint dysfunction from Imperial College London. I am currently trying to see if it is possible to create a custom fit dental splint from CT images of a patient.

I have managed to crop the area I need from CBCT images to create a view of just the teeth. I now simply need to invert the 3d image within the cropped area to create a negative (like a mould) which I would then print.

I am very new to all of this and would greatly appreciate any help on how to do this/ any constructive criticism?

Many thanks

Moiz Qureshi

Re: Inversion of cropped volume rendered image

Andras Lasso-2

Use the “Segment editor” module’s “Logical operators” effect. Choose “Invert” operation.

To create a mould you need to cut the inverted (hollow) part into two. This is typically the easiest to do in 3D, using the “Scissors” effect. Choose Operation = fill inside. In masking section: Editable area = inside all segments. Click Add segment to create a new segment. Click “Create surface” to show your model in the 3D viewer. In the 3D viewer draw a contour with your mouse that separates the two parts of your mold.

Export the two segments to 3D-printable models in the Segmentations module, Export/import segments section, Output type = Models, click Export.

Andras