GEANT4 & Slicer

Delvan Neville
Howdy all,

I'm working on an application so I can segment in Slicer, make surface meshes and use those to define the geometry for radiation transport in GEANT4.  Since there is a Python wrapper for GEANT4 I believe I could build this as a publishable extension to Slicer rather than a separate executable that's able to read Slicer's output files.  Anyone have an interest in this? If so, how would you plan to use it?  (If there is interest such that I build it as an extension, I'd like to build it to be of use outside of our special use case, so knowing your intended use will help inform me on other features to either build in or leave me easy access in the structure of the code to build them in later).

FYI, I'll be using it for doing dose calculations for wildlife for environmental health physics, so features like calculating doses from a given concentration of a radionuclide in a given organ, specifying density & composition of tissues, or adding in planar or immersion external sources will be in already.

Sincerely,
Delvan Neville

Re: GEANT4 & Slicer

Steve Pieper-2
Hi Delvan -

That sounds very cool, and from a quick look it seems the GEANT4 code is certainly powerful.  Sometimes getting multiple python packages to work well together presents build issues, but I hope it would go smoothly.

Let us know if you run into any issues or questions.

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 7:41 PM, Delvan Neville <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Csaba Pinter-2

Hi Delvan,

I am working with a researcher who uses GEANT4 for his research, and we have been planning to integrate it with Slicer in some way. The plan so far was to export files from the External Beam Planning module’s dose engine plugin and run GEANT4 using those files, but it would be much nicer if it had a python interface!

Looking forward to any progress!

csaba

Re: GEANT4 & Slicer

Sharp, Gregory C.

If I understand, Delvan, your plan is only for support mesh-type geometry,
and not voxel-based geometry?

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 16:53:11 +0000
Csaba Pinter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Delvan,
>
> I am working with a researcher who uses GEANT4 for his research, and we
> have been planning to integrate it with Slicer in some way. The plan so far
> was to export files from the External Beam Planning module’s dose engine
> plugin and run GEANT4 using those files, but it would be much nicer if it
> had a python interface!
>
> Looking forward to any progress!
>
> csaba
>
> From: slicer-users [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf
> Of Steve Pieper Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 18:32
> To: Delvan Neville <[hidden email]>
> Cc: SPL Slicer Users <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [slicer-users] GEANT4 & Slicer
>
> Hi Delvan -
>
> That sounds very cool, and from a quick look it seems the GEANT4 code is
> certainly powerful.  Sometimes getting multiple python packages to work
> well together presents build issues, but I hope it would go smoothly.
>
> Let us know if you run into any issues or questions.
>
> Best,
> Steve
>
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 7:41 PM, Delvan Neville
> <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote: Howdy all,
>
> I'm working on an application so I can segment in Slicer, make surface
> meshes and use those to define the geometry for radiation transport in
> GEANT4.  Since there is a Python wrapper for GEANT4 I believe I could build
> this as a publishable extension to Slicer rather than a separate executable
> that's able to read Slicer's output files.  Anyone have an interest in
> this? If so, how would you plan to use it?  (If there is interest such that
> I build it as an extension, I'd like to build it to be of use outside of
> our special use case, so knowing your intended use will help inform me on
> other features to either build in or leave me easy access in the structure
> of the code to build them in later).
>
> FYI, I'll be using it for doing dose calculations for wildlife for
> environmental health physics, so features like calculating doses from a
> given concentration of a radionuclide in a given organ, specifying density
> & composition of tissues, or adding in planar or immersion external sources
> will be in already.
>
> Sincerely,
> Delvan Neville

Re: GEANT4 & Slicer

Delvan Neville
The plan was for our purposes, yes, to load the segments in as surface meshes, but this is exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for. I'll add support for voxel based geometry to my list.  I assume you mainly want voxels so you can see the dose distribution within a given tissue/tumor, right? Would you still use the same tissue density & elemental composition  throughout a given segmented tissue in GEANT4?

Sincerely,
Delvan Neville

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 11:11 AM, Sharp, Gregory C. <[hidden email]> wrote:

If I understand, Delvan, your plan is only for support mesh-type geometry,
and not voxel-based geometry?

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 16:53:11 +0000
Csaba Pinter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Delvan,
>
> I am working with a researcher who uses GEANT4 for his research, and we
> have been planning to integrate it with Slicer in some way. The plan so far
> was to export files from the External Beam Planning module’s dose engine
> plugin and run GEANT4 using those files, but it would be much nicer if it
> had a python interface!
>
> Looking forward to any progress!
>
> csaba
>
> From: slicer-users [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf
> Of Steve Pieper Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 18:32
> To: Delvan Neville <[hidden email]>
> Cc: SPL Slicer Users <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [slicer-users] GEANT4 & Slicer
>
> Hi Delvan -
>
> That sounds very cool, and from a quick look it seems the GEANT4 code is
> certainly powerful.  Sometimes getting multiple python packages to work
> well together presents build issues, but I hope it would go smoothly.
>
> Let us know if you run into any issues or questions.
>
> Best,
> Steve
>
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 7:41 PM, Delvan Neville
> <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote: Howdy all,
>
> I'm working on an application so I can segment in Slicer, make surface
> meshes and use those to define the geometry for radiation transport in
> GEANT4.  Since there is a Python wrapper for GEANT4 I believe I could build
> this as a publishable extension to Slicer rather than a separate executable
> that's able to read Slicer's output files.  Anyone have an interest in
> this? If so, how would you plan to use it?  (If there is interest such that
> I build it as an extension, I'd like to build it to be of use outside of
> our special use case, so knowing your intended use will help inform me on
> other features to either build in or leave me easy access in the structure
> of the code to build them in later).
>
> FYI, I'll be using it for doing dose calculations for wildlife for
> environmental health physics, so features like calculating doses from a
> given concentration of a radionuclide in a given organ, specifying density
> & composition of tissues, or adding in planar or immersion external sources
> will be in already.
>
> Sincerely,
> Delvan Neville

Re: GEANT4 & Slicer

Sharp, Gregory C.

Hi Delvan,

For patient dose calculations, there is a conversion table
which maps voxel intensity (HU) to (blends of density-scaled) materials.
The material mapping and radiation transport through voxels are natively
supported by GEANT4.  Segmented tissues are not needed.

Also, IIRC GEANT4 displays an OpenGL window showing radiation track
information.  Maybe the tracks could be imported into Slicer.
I think you already know how awesome that would be.  ;)

Very exciting project.

Cheers,
Greg

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 19:23:42 +0000
> [...]

> > GEANT4.  Since there is a Python wrapper for GEANT4 I believe I could
> > build this as a publishable extension to Slicer rather than a separate
> > executable that's able to read Slicer's output files.  Anyone have an
> > interest in this? If so, how would you plan to use it?  (If there is
> > interest such that I build it as an extension, I'd like to build it to be
> > of use outside of our special use case, so knowing your intended use will
> > help inform me on other features to either build in or leave me easy
> > access in the structure of the code to build them in later).
> >
> > FYI, I'll be using it for doing dose calculations for wildlife for
> > environmental health physics, so features like calculating doses from a
> > given concentration of a radionuclide in a given organ, specifying density
> > & composition of tissues, or adding in planar or immersion external

Re: GEANT4 & Slicer

Delvan Neville
Sounds good to me, I was already pondering looking at voxel intensity for a different side-project down the road.  As to rendering tracks inside Slicer's visualization window, that is high up on my list of wants if I can manage it.

Sincerely,
Delvan Neville

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Gregory Sharp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> > GEANT4.  Since there is a Python wrapper for GEANT4 I believe I could
> > build this as a publishable extension to Slicer rather than a separate
> > executable that's able to read Slicer's output files.  Anyone have an
> > interest in this? If so, how would you plan to use it?  (If there is
> > interest such that I build it as an extension, I'd like to build it to be
> > of use outside of our special use case, so knowing your intended use will
> > help inform me on other features to either build in or leave me easy
> > access in the structure of the code to build them in later).
> >
> > FYI, I'll be using it for doing dose calculations for wildlife for
> > environmental health physics, so features like calculating doses from a
> > given concentration of a radionuclide in a given organ, specifying density
> > & composition of tissues, or adding in planar or immersion external

Re: GEANT4 & Slicer

Steve Pieper-2
Wow, you all are amazing - keep it up!