Import 3d shapes into Slicer

Mathew Guilfoyle
Hi,

I'm hoping to use Slicer for what is a fairly straightforward bit of research.  Essentially, I want to see the volume of brain and anatomical regions  that I can reach with an intracranial monitor from any given point on the skull.  The idea would be to look at a large number of scans from different patients to see how reliable different surface landmarks (e.g. coronal suture) are for inserting the probes/monitors and accessing the desired area of the brain.

The volume accessible is a simple spherical sector with the depth/radius determined by the length of the probe and the angulation limited by the thickness of the skull, diameter of the hole drilled, and thickness of the probe itself.

My idea was to somehow import a spherical sector model (or even just a cone to begin with) into a CT or MRI volume, move the model to various points on the skull and then reslice to see on the axials which parts of the brain are covered by the volume.

Is it possible to import 3d models into Slicer?  In what sort of format/software could I build or construct the model?  Can non-cuboidal ROIs be used for this purpose?  Or is there an entirely different way of manually labelling a volume of the correct dimensions?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers,
MG

Re: Import 3d shapes into Slicer

inorton
Hi Mathew,

Is it possible to import 3d models into Slicer?  In what sort of format/software could I build or construct the model?

Yes, Slicer supports importing 3d models in (at least) vtk and stl format.

Can non-cuboidal ROIs be used for this purpose?  Or is there an entirely different way of manually labelling a volume of the correct dimensions?

The most common way is to use the Editor and segmentation tools to
markup 2D slices on a "LabelMap" volume with same dimensions as the reference volume. A model may be generated from the marked areas using the ModelMaker module (uses marching cubes).

There are some additional, advanced tools for dealing with models, in particular the IA-FEMesh module.

My idea was to somehow import a spherical sector model (or even just a cone to begin with) into a CT or MRI volume, move the model to various points on the skull and then reslice to see on the axials which parts of the brain are covered by the volume.

Here's a way to approximate this:

1) create a spherical model (Paraview is the easiest way, or Python script)
2) load model into slicer, and put model inside transform
3) using transform control, move model to desired position
4) use ModelIntoLabelVolume module to label the pixels intersected by the sphere.
5)  use the reorient widget to get resliced planes along the desired trajectory into the volume, and view. It may be helpful to set "Show label volume outlines" from the slice options menu (three dots next to the eye visibility controller)

The infrastructure to do this in a nicer/semi-automated way is available, ie with two fiducials placed for trajectory selection, but would require some programming.

Hope this helps,
-Isaiah

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Mathew Guilfoyle <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

madanrao
Hello Mathew,

Command line programs on automatic segmentation help you segment the structures you want while preserving their 3D orientation. These models also help you in finding angular distances between these structures.

I am attaching a slide here.

Hope this helps.

AM Mohan Rao

Hi Mathew,

slide2.png (158K) Download Attachment

Re: Import 3d shapes into Slicer

Mathew Guilfoyle
Hi Isaiah

Thanks for your email.

Using Paraview I've created a cone model VTK file and imported this into Slicer.  It  shows the intersection of the cone with my CT/MRI volume on the axial images, which is exactly what I wanted.  I can rotate and translate the cone as necessary.  So far so good.

One remaining problem is I cannot seem to get Slicer to import a VTK of a proper Spherical Sector/Spherical Cone (i.e. a Cone with a spherical cap instead of a flat bottom).  I've created this model in Paraview by aligning a cone with a clipped sphere.  It exports and reimports just fine in Paraview but Slicer says it can't find a valid model file.  I have tried using the 'Unstructured Grid VTK' (.vtu extension) format but this doesn't work either.

Do you know of a workaround for this?

Thanks again,
Mathew

On 14/02/2011 15:20, Isaiah Norton wrote:
Hi Mathew,

[...]

Magnotta, Vincent A
Matthew,

Isn't this a surface? If yes, it should be loaded as a "model" in Slicer?

Vince

--
Associate Professor
Department of Radiology
[...]

Notice: This UI Health Care e-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is confidential and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error, then delete it.  Thank you.

Re: Import 3d shapes into Slicer

Mathew Guilfoyle
Vince,

Yes indeed - I have been loading it as a model.  Slicer will load a simple cone created in Paraview and will show the intersections with the CT images.  However, if I create a spherical cone Slicer throws an error saying the VTK file output from Paraview is not valid.  With a bit more experimenting I've managed to export the cone and spherical cap separately as STL files and loaded them individually into Slicer.  If I make both child nodes of a transform I can manipulate them as one so for the moment it is working as though I had a single model.  Still, would be nice to know how to create a single VTK or STL model of a spherical cone (or more complex shape) that Slicer will load.

Cheers
Mathew

On 15/02/2011 18:04, Magnotta, Vincent A wrote:
Matthew,

Isn't this a surface? If yes, it should be loaded as a "model" in Slicer?

Vince

--
Associate Professor
Department of Radiology
0453-D JCP
200 Hawkins Drive
Iowa City, IA 52242
E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Import 3d shapes into Slicer

inorton
Hi Matthew,

The problem is that Paraview does clipping with a filter on a different datatype (unstructured grid) that Slicer doesn't support for a model... Slicer wants vtkPolyData. There's a filter to get polydata back but.. the easy way around this is to import the full sphere and do your clipping in Slicer with the ClipModel module.

-Isaiah