Internet etiquette [was Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange]

Internet etiquette [was Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange]

inorton
 I just sent an email to Jeff Atwood and Joel Spolsky (founders of Stack Exchange) asking if they can grant us an exception to the rule for an year. If we can build up the community by then, awesome! If not, they can shut it down.

Why do you think this as an appropriate thing to do? Please go read the FAQ (http://area51.stackexchange.com/faq). They are giving away a free service to millions of users, and they have an established, documented process for doing so, that has been refined over years.

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 5:21 PM, Rutvij Kotecha <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi team,

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

I think it would be a nice experiment to try. Hopefully, if it works, more users will be able to ask questions and get better at using the software; while developers will be able to interact and develop powerful tools.

Considering the policy regarding the number of users/followers, I just sent an email to Jeff Atwood and Joel Spolsky (founders of Stack Exchange) asking if they can grant us an exception to the rule for an year. If we can build up the community by then, awesome! If not, they can shut it down.

Let's see what they say. :)

If it does not pan out, we can figure out some other alternatives.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Rutvij

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 6:44 AM, Isaiah Norton <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's an interesting idea, but I think "3D Slicer" is too specific a topic to get sufficient traction. I've been involved in a few of these, and the activation barriers on Area51 are quite high: 200 committed users for the first stage, then even higher daily activity requirements. As a point of comparison, slicer-users has about 2000 subscribers, but probably only a few dozen regular participants. There were attempts to do this for neuroimaging/informatics, medical imaging, and several similar topics a few years ago -- none of them got nearly enough support or activity. (but the first one did eventually lead to http://neurostars.org -- privately hosted).

I would suggest a much more general scope: for example even as broad as: "Medical Image Processing and Surgical Navigation".

(one thing I really don't like about the process is that they *delete* expired proposals, so all of the effort to make good questions/answers goes away if the proposal fails)

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 6:12 PM, Rutvij Kotecha <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi team,

I am a new user of Slicer and I am pretty pumped by how amazing the software is. It's so cool that it is an OpenSource software.

I am convinced that such a powerful medical imaging software should be accessible to people all around the world, I would love to help the community.

One of the ways I can help the community is by starting a Q&A community on StackExchange.

This site hosts a variety of other sites like - Stackoverflow (for asking computer programming related questions), 3D printing (for asking 3D printing related questions), etc etc.

One of the biggest advantage is that newbies like me can leverage the previously asked questions and experts can save time from answering the same question repeatedly.

So if I have your support, I would like to propose that we form a community on StackExchange. This will enable us to answer questions and browse through the archive of previously asked questions very easily.

At the moment we need to gather enough votes / followership in order to launch the site. So I would really appreciate if you can kindly visit: http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/105354/slicer?referrer=ieJcS0QkECNo5-QYLCplIw2 and click the "Follow It!"

If we gather enough votes, Stackexchange will allow us to launch our site.

I promise to add other experts as moderators and make it very democratic.

So what do you think?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Rutvij Kotecha