Is it possible to extract the 3 orthogonal/isometric images from a 3D model?

Is it possible to extract the 3 orthogonal/isometric images from a 3D model?

Ramon F Herrera

Hello all:

I recently discovered Slicer, a wonderful tool. Thanks and congratulations to all involved.

Newbie Alert.

Before I go through the tutorials, etc. I would like to know whether Slicer provides the following specific feature. I have the model of a cranium (surface only), in OBJ format. It was acquired here, BTW:

    https://www.cgstud.io/3d-model/human-skull-anatomy-38487

I noticed that for a similar model that I found in your repository it begins by displaying the Axial, Sagital and Coronal views. After clicking on a couple button, a 3D rotable image is generated. I need to do the reverse operation.

Is this possible? If positive, how?

Thanks again,

-Ramon F Herrera
Houston, Texas

Skull-Screenshot.png (107K) Download Attachment

Re: Is it possible to extract the 3 orthogonal/isometric images from a 3D model?

Steve Pieper-2
Hi Ramon -

You should be able to read the OBJ format skull geometry directly into Slicer.  Probably not the texture or bump map though.  Once loaded you can rotate the skull.

Not sure what you mean by doing the reverse operation.  Do you mean making image slices of the surface model?  Yes, that's doable but it won't be like a full CT scan since the internal structure of the bone won't be there.

You may find the SPL head and neck atlas useful:

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 01:06:29PM -0400, Steve Pieper wrote:
> Hi Ramon -
>
> You should be able to read the OBJ format skull geometry directly into
> Slicer.  Probably not the texture or bump map though.  Once loaded you can
> rotate the skull.

I have been able to do that without any problem. It is very straightforward.

> You may find the SPL head and neck atlas useful:
>
> http://www.spl.harvard.edu/publications/item/view/2271

I downloaded it. Thanks.

> Not sure what you mean by doing the reverse operation.  Do you mean making
> image slices of the surface model?  Yes, that's doable but it won't be like
> a full CT scan since the internal structure of the bone won't be there.

That is precisely what I need. I am aware of the limitations, since what I have is not a real CT/MRI scan.

How common is this operation? Does it require much expertise? Are there any tutorials or instructions?

TIA,

-Ramon

Making-Image-Slices.png (82K) Download Attachment

Re: Is it possible to extract the 3 orthogonal/isometric images from a 3D model?

Hi Ramon -

Okay, I think I see now.  No, this isn't a very common operation, but I think what you want is just to enable slice intersections, which you can do in the Models module (select your model and then pick the check the checkbox in Display->Visibility).

If you want to export these as images/movies then you could try the Screen Capture module.

HTH,
Steve

Inline image 1

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Ramon F Herrera <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 01:06:29PM -0400, Steve Pieper wrote:
> Hi Ramon -
>
> You should be able to read the OBJ format skull geometry directly into
> Slicer.  Probably not the texture or bump map though.  Once loaded you can
> rotate the skull.

I have been able to do that without any problem. It is very straightforward.

> You may find the SPL head and neck atlas useful:
>
> http://www.spl.harvard.edu/publications/item/view/2271

I downloaded it. Thanks.

> Not sure what you mean by doing the reverse operation.  Do you mean making
> image slices of the surface model?  Yes, that's doable but it won't be like
> a full CT scan since the internal structure of the bone won't be there.

That is precisely what I need. I am aware of the limitations, since what I have is not a real CT/MRI scan.

How common is this operation? Does it require much expertise? Are there any tutorials or instructions?

TIA,

-Ramon

> Best,
> Steve

Re: Is it possible to extract the 3 orthogonal/isometric images from a 3D model?

inorton
See also the Segmentations module, which has tools to convert from model->labelmap: