Is there any plan to support a 64bit version Slicer on Windows

Is there any plan to support a 64bit version Slicer on Windows

Haiyong Xu-2
Hi slicer-users,

On a project that I am working on currently we really need a 64bit
Slicer on Windows 7. I know that most of efforts of 3DSlicer
developers are focusing on Qt migration right now. I just wonder will
Slicer 4.0 support 64bit on Windows 7. Or is there any plan to support
64bit on Windows? I guess the major difficulties in building 64bit on
Windows is third-party libraries, e.g., Tcl as in this thread
http://massmail.spl.harvard.edu/public-archives/slicer-devel/2010/004654.html.
Would you like to inform me other difficulties so that I can estimate
the effort to build a private 64bit Slicer on Windows 7? Thanks.

--Haiyong

Re: Is there any plan to support a 64bit version Slicer on Windows

Hi Haiyong -

Yes - our plan is to support win64 from the start with slicer4 -- we
hope to have some early binary versions before the January NA-MIC
meeting.  If it looks feasible, we might try to backport changes to slicer3.

Regarding the possible difficulties, well, it's not clear yet - nothing
should be problematic in theory, but there are probably some practical
issues to sort through.  If you try a win64 slicer3 do let us know how
it goes - if you run into any issues, try posting them to the
slicer-devel mailing list.