LOGIQ E9 Volume Slices Processing

Chris
  Hi Everyone,

For a student project I was assigned the Task to prototype an Ultrasound
Learning App based on
Ultrasound Volumes obtained by a GE LOGIQ E9.

The assignment is: Create a standalone App that allows you to swipe
through the Volume Image Slices.

We have access to a LOGIQ E9 and I got a Volume Scan done and exported a
directory to my USB drive of about 570 MB.

I have Slicer installed and tried to load the Dicom Directory but it
gives me an error:
"Could not load: 1: Unnamed Series as a Scalar Volume"

Does anyone have experience on how to open or use the LOGIQ E9 Data or
know what I am doing wrong?

If it helps I am willing to upload such Directory to e.g. dropbox if it
helps - the Dataset contains no Private Information, is anonymized and I
am allowed to share it.

Best Regards,

Chris Hansen

Student of Medical Information Technology at the University of Applied
Sciences Bremerhaven

Re: LOGIQ E9 Volume Slices Processing

Chris
Hi,

this is the link to a zip on dropbox containing the the Exported Directory:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezxwpj2li3qnilk/DICOM_EXPORT.zip?dl=0

The data is anonymized with Dicom Anonym 1.1.6.1

I can import it to the DICOM Browser but cannot load and get this error
message:

Could not load: 1: Unnamed Series as a Scalar Volume"

This is the error Log of 3DSlicer

______

Session start time .......: 2017-03-30 14:12:36
Slicer version ...........: 4.6.2 (revision 25516) macosx-amd64 - installed
Operating system .........: Mac OS X / 10.11.6 / 15G1421 - 64-bit
Memory ...................: 8192 MB physical, 0 MB virtual
CPU ......................: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
T9550  @ 2.66GHz, 2 cores, 2 logical processors
Developer mode enabled ...: no
Prefer executable CLI ....: yes
Additional module paths ..: (none)
Number of registered modules: 133
Number of instantiated modules: 133
When loading module  "CLIEventTest" , the dependency "CLI4Test" failed
to be loaded.
Initializing terminology mapping for map file
/Applications/Slicer.app/Contents/share/Slicer-4.6/ColorFiles/Terminology//GenericAnatomyColors-SNOMED.csv
288 terms were read for Slicer LUT GenericAnatomyColors
When loading module  "TwoCLIsInARowTest" , the dependency "CLI4Test"
failed to be loaded.
When loading module  "TwoCLIsInParallelTest" , the dependency "CLI4Test"
failed to be loaded.
Number of loaded modules: 130
Switch to module:  "Welcome"
Switch to module:  "DICOM"
MultiVolumeImportPlugin::examine
DICOMMultiVolumePlugin found 1 multivolumes!
MultiVolumeImportPlugin:examineMultiseries
DICOMMultiVolumePlugin found 0 multivolumes!
MultiVolumeImportPlugin::examine
DICOMMultiVolumePlugin found 1 multivolumes!
MultiVolumeImportPlugin:examineMultiseries
DICOMMultiVolumePlugin found 0 multivolumes!
MultiVolumeImportPlugin::examine
DICOMMultiVolumePlugin found 1 multivolumes!
MultiVolumeImportPlugin:examineMultiseries
DICOMMultiVolumePlugin found 0 multivolumes!
MultiVolumeImportPlugin::examine
DICOMMultiVolumePlugin found 1 multivolumes!
MultiVolumeImportPlugin:examineMultiseries
DICOMMultiVolumePlugin found 0 multivolumes!
UpdateFromSeries: Unsupported number of components: 1 != 3

ReadData: Not a scalar volume file:
/Users/ole/Desktop/logiq/DICOM_EXPORT/GEMS_IMG/2017_MAR/28/TT121224/H3SCD68C

2017-03-30 14:13:18.315 Slicer[2756:115813] IMKClient Stall detected,
*please Report* your user scenario attaching a spindump (or sysdiagnose)
that captures the problem - (imkxpc_attributesForCharacterIndex:reply:)
block performed very slowly (4.07 secs).
2017-03-30 14:13:18.315 Slicer[2756:115813] IMKClient Stall detected,
*please Report* your user scenario attaching a spindump (or sysdiagnose)
that captures the problem - (imkxpc_windowLevelWithReply:) block
performed very slowly (2.07 secs).

Could not load: 1: Unnamed Series as a Scalar Volume

Could not load: 1: Unnamed Series as a Scalar Volume
2017-03-30 14:13:19.868 Slicer[2756:115813] modalSession has been exited
prematurely - check for a reentrant call to endModalSession:

-----

On 30/03/17 11:33, Chris wrote:

>    Hi Everyone,
>
> For a student project I was assigned the Task to prototype an Ultrasound
> Learning App based on
> Ultrasound Volumes obtained by a GE LOGIQ E9.
>
> The assignment is: Create a standalone App that allows you to swipe
> through the Volume Image Slices.
>
> We have access to a LOGIQ E9 and I got a Volume Scan done and exported a
> directory to my USB drive of about 570 MB.
>
> I have Slicer installed and tried to load the Dicom Directory but it
> gives me an error:
> "Could not load: 1: Unnamed Series as a Scalar Volume"
>
> Does anyone have experience on how to open or use the LOGIQ E9 Data or
> know what I am doing wrong?
>
> If it helps I am willing to upload such Directory to e.g. dropbox if it
> helps - the Dataset contains no Private Information, is anonymized and I
> am allowed to share it.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Chris Hansen
>
> Student of Medical Information Technology at the University of Applied
> Sciences Bremerhaven

Re: LOGIQ E9 Volume Slices Processing

Csaba Pinter-2
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the data!

Importing seemed fine (except for a python error about offering extensions, for developers: [1]).

When loading, DWI seemed to take over (seems to happen now more often, also it's slow to examine - now that the processing classes are out in an extension, maybe the DICOM plugin could be in the extension too, like for other special DICOM formats), and maybe scalar volume was invoked next when DWI failed. When I explicitly selected the scalar volume loadable in the advanced option (the loadable had a warning about geometry [2] which is sometimes harmless) however, there was an actual VTK error:
"UpdateFromSeries: Unsupported number of components: 1 != 3
ReadData: Not a scalar volume file: C:/Users/Csaba/Downloads/Temp/20170330_DICOM_EXPORT/DICOM_EXPORT/GEMS_IMG/2017_MAR/28/TT121224/H3SCD68C"

Is this some kind of multiparametric ultrasound image? The reader expects simple grayscale image.

csaba

[1]
>>> Imported a DICOM directory, checking for extensions
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/d/S4R/Slicer-build/lib/Slicer-4.7/qt-scripted-modules\DICOMLib\DICOMWidgets.py", line 408, in timerCallback
    self.promptForExtensions()
  File "C:/d/S4R/Slicer-build/lib/Slicer-4.7/qt-scripted-modules\DICOMLib\DICOMWidgets.py", line 413, in promptForExtensions
    extensionsToOffer = self.checkForExtensions()
  File "C:/d/S4R/Slicer-build/lib/Slicer-4.7/qt-scripted-modules\DICOMLib\DICOMWidgets.py", line 478, in checkForExtensions
    sopClassUID = slicer.dicomDatabase.fileValue(instance0, sopClassUIDTag)
RuntimeError: std::logic_error: Calling methods on uninitialized ctkDICOMItem

[2] Warning in DICOM plugin Scalar Volume when examining loadable 1: Unnamed Series: Reference image in series does not contain geometry information.  Please use caution.

[...]

2017-03-30 14:13:18.315 Slicer[2756:115813] IMKClient Stall detected, *please Report* your user scenario attaching a spindump (or sysdiagnose) that captures the problem - (imkxpc_windowLevelWithReply:) block performed very slowly (2.07 secs).

On 30/03/17 11:33, Chris wrote:

>    Hi Everyone,
>
> For a student project I was assigned the Task to prototype an Ultrasound
> Learning App based on
> Ultrasound Volumes obtained by a GE LOGIQ E9.
>
> The assignment is: Create a standalone App that allows you to swipe
> through the Volume Image Slices.
>
> We have access to a LOGIQ E9 and I got a Volume Scan done and exported a
> directory to my USB drive of about 570 MB.
>
> I have Slicer installed and tried to load the Dicom Directory but it
> gives me an error:
> "Could not load: 1: Unnamed Series as a Scalar Volume"
>
> Does anyone have experience on how to open or use the LOGIQ E9 Data or
> know what I am doing wrong?
>
> If it helps I am willing to upload such Directory to e.g. dropbox if it
> helps - the Dataset contains no Private Information, is anonymized and I
> am allowed to share it.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Chris Hansen
>
> Student of Medical Information Technology at the University of Applied
> Sciences Bremerhaven

Re: LOGIQ E9 Volume Slices Processing

Chris
Hi Csabe,

thank you for your response. The Ultrasound data  is a greyscale Volume
Scan from LOGIQ E9.

This Volume Scan can be saved and then could be overlay/sync with a live
ultrasound scan.  I do not have any other information about the data
format - but will try to get as much as possible.

best regards,

Chris

On 30/03/17 15:20, Csaba Pinter wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for the data!
>
> Importing seemed fine (except for a python error about offering extensions, for developers: [1]).
>
> When loading, DWI seemed to take over (seems to happen now more often, also it's slow to examine - now that the processing classes are out in an extension, maybe the DICOM plugin could be in the extension too, like for other special DICOM formats), and maybe scalar volume was invoked next when DWI failed. When I explicitly selected the scalar volume loadable in the advanced option (the loadable had a warning about geometry [2] which is sometimes harmless) however, there was an actual VTK error:
> "UpdateFromSeries: Unsupported number of components: 1 != 3
> ReadData: Not a scalar volume file: C:/Users/Csaba/Downloads/Temp/20170330_DICOM_EXPORT/DICOM_EXPORT/GEMS_IMG/2017_MAR/28/TT121224/H3SCD68C"
>
> Is this some kind of multiparametric ultrasound image? The reader expects simple grayscale image.
>
> csaba
>
> [1]
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "C:/d/S4R/Slicer-build/lib/Slicer-4.7/qt-scripted-modules\DICOMLib\DICOMWidgets.py", line 408, in timerCallback
>      self.promptForExtensions()
>    File "C:/d/S4R/Slicer-build/lib/Slicer-4.7/qt-scripted-modules\DICOMLib\DICOMWidgets.py", line 413, in promptForExtensions
>      extensionsToOffer = self.checkForExtensions()
>    File "C:/d/S4R/Slicer-build/lib/Slicer-4.7/qt-scripted-modules\DICOMLib\DICOMWidgets.py", line 478, in checkForExtensions
>      sopClassUID = slicer.dicomDatabase.fileValue(instance0, sopClassUIDTag)
> RuntimeError: std::logic_error: Calling methods on uninitialized ctkDICOMItem
>
> [2] Warning in DICOM plugin Scalar Volume when examining loadable 1: Unnamed Series: Reference image in series does not contain geometry information.  Please use caution.

Andras Lasso-2

The 3-component color image that is stored in standard DICOM fields is just a thumbnail. The files also contain ultrasound image sequences in private fields, which only GE software knows how to interpret. The image data is uncompressed and the rest of the fields should not be too difficult to reverse-engineer (and specification may be found on the web), but it would still take several days of work to figure out all the details and implement an importer plugin. If you have time to implement this then I can give you a few pointers how to get started. If you don't, then try to find a software that can read these files and write to non-proprietary format.

Andras