Mouse for window/level

Andrey Fedorov
Hi,

It looks like with today's checkout of 3-6 branch, Slicer does not
allow to change window/level with the mouse, unless window/level mode
is set to "Manual" in Volumes module.

In a way, this makes sense, but it does look like a new behavior. Is
this a feature, or a bug?

AF

Re: Mouse for window/level

Hi Andriy -

Thanks for the report, but I couldn't replicate this - dragging the
window/level should switch you from Auto to Manual.  Let me know if you
still see it and how to replicate.

But while I played with this I did notice that updating the Volumes
Module GUI on ever mouse move was slowing things down.  So I just made
change so that the GUI is only updated on button release.  The current
window/level numerical value is displayed in the status bar while
dragging.  I committed this to both the trunk and the Slicer-3-6 branch.

-Steve

On 10/21/2010 04:00 PM, Andriy Fedorov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It looks like with today's checkout of 3-6 branch, Slicer does not
> allow to change window/level with the mouse, unless window/level mode
> is set to "Manual" in Volumes module.
>
> In a way, this makes sense, but it does look like a new behavior. Is
> this a feature, or a bug?
>
> AF

Re: Mouse for window/level

Andrey Fedorov
Steve,

Thanks for fixing this! I guess this was an intermittent problem -- it
works fine now.

I was able to reproduce the other problem I reported to you yestarday.

1) load volume from Testing/Data/Input/DCE_single_serie (this is in
Slicer3 trunk)
2) link slice views
3) rotate "green" slice to volume plane
4) at this point, all slices are in axial view, rotated to volume
plane (is this a bug? to me as a user, it is a problem, so I am trying
to fix my views next)
5) unlink slice views
6) change orientation of "green" slice to sagittal
7) slices appear to be linked -- mouse over any other slice view, and
it becomes sagittal (this is a bug)

AF

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 08:09, Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andriy -
>
> Thanks for the report, but I couldn't replicate this - dragging the
> window/level should switch you from Auto to Manual.  Let me know if you
> still see it and how to replicate.
>
> But while I played with this I did notice that updating the Volumes Module
> GUI on ever mouse move was slowing things down.  So I just made change so
> that the GUI is only updated on button release.  The current window/level
> numerical value is displayed in the status bar while dragging.  I committed
> this to both the trunk and the Slicer-3-6 branch.
>
> -Steve
>
> On 10/21/2010 04:00 PM, Andriy Fedorov wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It looks like with today's checkout of 3-6 branch, Slicer does not
>> allow to change window/level with the mouse, unless window/level mode
>> is set to "Manual" in Volumes module.
>>
>> In a way, this makes sense, but it does look like a new behavior. Is
>> this a feature, or a bug?
>>
>> AF
>> subject

Re: Mouse for window/level

Andras Lasso
Since "Rotate to volume plane" was implemented, several people have been asking if 4) is a bug. I think we have the current behaviour because it was the simplest to implement, but it doesn't reflect what the users would expect (see Andriy's mail and also http://slicer-users.65878.n3.nabble.com/cutting-planes-not-orthogonal-td886549.html) and need (see http://www.na-mic.org/Mantis/view.php?id=325).

I think the following implementation would be ideal: If slice views are linked then changing orientation of any slice should change the orientation of all slices (so that the relative orientation of the slices to each other remain the same). This could work the same way for all orientation setting methods (using the reformat widget, axial/sagittal/coronal options, or rotate to volume planes).

Thanks for fixing this! I guess this was an intermittent problem -- it
works fine now.

I was able to reproduce the other problem I reported to you yestarday.

1) load volume from Testing/Data/Input/DCE_single_serie (this is in
Slicer3 trunk)
2) link slice views
3) rotate "green" slice to volume plane
4) at this point, all slices are in axial view, rotated to volume
plane (is this a bug? to me as a user, it is a problem, so I am trying
to fix my views next)
5) unlink slice views
6) change orientation of "green" slice to sagittal
7) slices appear to be linked -- mouse over any other slice view, and
it becomes sagittal (this is a bug)

AF

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 08:09, Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andriy -
>
> Thanks for the report, but I couldn't replicate this - dragging the
> window/level should switch you from Auto to Manual.  Let me know if you
> still see it and how to replicate.
>
> But while I played with this I did notice that updating the Volumes Module
> GUI on ever mouse move was slowing things down.  So I just made change so
> that the GUI is only updated on button release.  The current window/level
> numerical value is displayed in the status bar while dragging.  I committed
> this to both the trunk and the Slicer-3-6 branch.
>
> -Steve
>
> On 10/21/2010 04:00 PM, Andriy Fedorov wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It looks like with today's checkout of 3-6 branch, Slicer does not
>> allow to change window/level with the mouse, unless window/level mode
>> is set to "Manual" in Volumes module.
>>
>> In a way, this makes sense, but it does look like a new behavior. Is
>> this a feature, or a bug?
>>
>> AF
>> subject

Re: Mouse for window/level

Andrey Fedorov
Andras -- thanks a lot for summarizing this, and for supporting the push :)

I could not agree more!

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 09:08, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since "Rotate to volume plane" was implemented, several people have been asking if 4) is a bug. I think we have the current behaviour because it was the simplest to implement, but it doesn't reflect what the users would expect (see Andriy's mail and also http://slicer-users.65878.n3.nabble.com/cutting-planes-not-orthogonal-td886549.html) and need (see http://www.na-mic.org/Mantis/view.php?id=325).
>
> I think the following implementation would be ideal: If slice views are linked then changing orientation of any slice should change the orientation of all slices (so that the relative orientation of the slices to each other remain the same). This could work the same way for all orientation setting methods (using the reformat widget, axial/sagittal/coronal options, or rotate to volume planes).
>
> Andras

Re: Mouse for window/level

Andrey Fedorov
I logged this bug here: http://www.na-mic.org/Bug/view.php?id=1017, in
case someone on slicer-users would like to monitor the status of this
issue.