Neighborhood of dilation and erosion (Editor module)

Neighborhood of dilation and erosion (Editor module)

Eero Salli
Hi,

I have a question regarding the dilation and erosion operations of the
Editor module.
There is an option to select either "Eight Neighbors" or "Four Neighbors".
However these are the 2D neighborhoods and the Editor works in 3D if I
understand correctly. Is it so that the '"Eight neighbors" is actually
"26 neighbors" and 'Four neighbors' is actually 'Six neighbors"?

- Eero

Re: Neighborhood of dilation and erosion (Editor module)

Steve Pieper-2
Hi Eero -

Very good question - that functionality has been essentially unchanged in Slicer for over a decade and to be honest I don't know who wrote it originally (except that it wasn't me).  You can have a look at the way the mask is created [1] and it is a creating an xy mask in a 3D filter kernel and it is using the mask when applying the kernel [2].

I've always felt that since this is an interactive tool the exact definition isn't as critical since the value of the result is subjective.  However we have all the resources available to expose the much more powerful and well defined morphology operations available through ITK and SimpleITK so it would be great if someone wanted to take on the task of integrating those in the Editor (or actually in the new Segmentations module [3]).

Hope that helps,
Steve

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 5:39 AM, Eero Salli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I have a question regarding the dilation and erosion operations of the
Editor module.
There is an option to select either "Eight Neighbors" or "Four Neighbors".
However these are the 2D neighborhoods and the Editor works in 3D if I
understand correctly. Is it so that the '"Eight neighbors" is actually
"26 neighbors" and 'Four neighbors' is actually 'Six neighbors"?

- Eero

Re: Neighborhood of dilation and erosion (Editor module)

Kikinis, Ron,M.D.
I am pretty sure that is correct

Sent from my mobile phone.

> On May 20, 2016, at 11:39 AM, Eero Salli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding the dilation and erosion operations of the
> Editor module.
> There is an option to select either "Eight Neighbors" or "Four Neighbors".
> However these are the 2D neighborhoods and the Editor works in 3D if I
> understand correctly. Is it so that the '"Eight neighbors" is actually
> "26 neighbors" and 'Four neighbors' is actually 'Six neighbors"?
>
> - Eero

Re: Neighborhood of dilation and erosion (Editor module)

Murat Maga
I thought it was in 2D and four neighbor means cardinal pixels (no corner ones), and 8 neighbor means all pixels adjacent.

> On May 20, 2016, at 11:39 AM, Eero Salli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding the dilation and erosion operations of the
> Editor module.
> There is an option to select either "Eight Neighbors" or "Four Neighbors".
> However these are the 2D neighborhoods and the Editor works in 3D if I
> understand correctly. Is it so that the '"Eight neighbors" is actually
> "26 neighbors" and 'Four neighbors' is actually 'Six neighbors"?
>
> - Eero

Re: Neighborhood of dilation and erosion (Editor module)

Kikinis, Ron,M.D.
Sorry for being cryptic in my response. The four and 8 neighbors refers to 2D and describes whether the algorithm includes the diagonals or not. In the volume 8 neighbor type algorithm includes both in plane and space diagonal. Below screenshots of the effect of 4 and 8 neighbor dilation on a single voxel. The editor applies the algorithm in 3d, not 2 D

It might make sense to improve the description.

I tried volume rendering but there are rasterization artifacts, but you see the effect of 8 neighbor dilation on a single voxel on the three cross sections.

Best

Ron

On May 21, 2016, at 2:44 AM, Murat Maga <[hidden email]> wrote:

I thought it was in 2D and four neighbor means cardinal pixels (no corner ones), and 8 neighbor means all pixels adjacent.

On May 20, 2016, at 11:39 AM, Eero Salli <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I have a question regarding the dilation and erosion operations of the
Editor module.
There is an option to select either "Eight Neighbors" or "Four Neighbors".
However these are the 2D neighborhoods and the Editor works in 3D if I
understand correctly. Is it so that the '"Eight neighbors" is actually
"26 neighbors" and 'Four neighbors' is actually 'Six neighbors"?

- Eero

Ron Kikinis, M.D.,
Robert Greenes Distinguished Director of Biomedical Informatics
Professor of Radiology, Harvard Medical School
Director, Surgical Planning Laboratory
http://www.spl.harvard.edu/~kikinis

Re: Neighborhood of dilation and erosion (Editor module)

Min Pu
Dear all

I have an assistant who is interested in joining 3D slicer group. Can we add him in the email group? Thanks

Min Pu, MD, PhD
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Baptist Medical Center
Tel: 336-716-9862

Re: Neighborhood of dilation and erosion (Editor module)

inorton
The subscription process is self-managed, see: https://www.slicer.org/pages/Mailinglist

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Min Pu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all

I have an assistant who is interested in joining 3D slicer group. Can we add him in the email group? Thanks

Min Pu, MD, PhD
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Baptist Medical Center
Tel: <a href="tel:336-716-9862" value="&#43;13367169862">336-716-9862