New module for create videos for presentations and websites

12

New module for create videos for presentations and websites

Screen Capture module has been added to 3D Slicer that can create videos from your scenes. Different file formats and compression levels are supported: H.264 and MPEG-2 are optimized added to presentations and uploading to youtube, while high-quality animated GIF files can be shown on wikis and web pages without requiring any special video player.

Sample animated GIFs: http://wiki.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Documentation/Nightly/Modules/ScreenCapture

Sample video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/LG5H66ikF1w

There are multiple animation modes: you can rotate the 3D view, slice through a volume, fade between volumes, or replay a sequence (time series of changing volumes, transforms, models, etc). Length and speed of videos can be set arbitrarily, which allows using slow, high-quality rendering to create a fast and smooth video. You can add watermark image (such as your lab’s logo) and have many other options in the Advanced section, see details in the module’s documentation (http://wiki.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Documentation/Nightly/Modules/ScreenCapture).

The module is available in the latest nightly version, in Utilities category.

Any feedbacks and suggestions are welcome.

Re: New module for create videos for presentations and websites

Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
Sounds great. Thanks.

I would like to discourage animated gifs on the wiki pages. They cause havoc with the wiki internals (especially thumbnailing, which we have had to disable). They also can bloat the wiki.

I understand they fill a niche, but everything we can do to minimize or eliminate that niche we should do. Luckily, we now live in a world of html5 video, letting us reach more platforms than flash plugins allowed us.

Thanks again for the much needed module!

-Mike

Re: New module for create videos for presentations and websites

Thanks Mike, that’s a very good point. You can now include youtube videos on the Slicer wiki (and many other services) – I’ve added an example on the documentation page (http://wiki.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Documentation/Nightly/Modules/ScreenCapture).

Mike, do the video files have to be on an external server (youtube, vimeo, etc) or we can show videos that are stored in the Slicer wiki? (these video files are not big, usually 4-5MB)

Note that the animated GIFs that are shown on the module documentation page are really small (200-300KB) and still quite high quality, thanks to the nice palette and compression optimization by ffmpeg (and of course due to the small image dimensions). I guess GIFs that are this small should not cause problems anywhere.

Andras

Re: New module for create videos for presentations and websites

Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
Let's discuss at some point what makes the most sense. Just for a data point, almost every time the slicer wiki server has gone down in the last five years has been because the batch thumbnailer has choked on  large animated gifs, dumping core and restarting in a loop, filling up /tmp and the process table.

That is true even with the latest versions of the software.

The culprits are likely not these smaller gifs (though one would have to test), but where's the line? I don't know.

 If we could have local mp4 files for what you describe, perhaps that would solve at least some of the problems (not bloat, but we could possible cap the video size easier). And it would be forward looking , and offer better performance (some platforms actually convert gifs to mp4 under the covers for performance reasons).

-Mike

Re: [slicer-devel] New module for create videos for presentations and websites

This is great!

Regarding the note on licensing in the documentation [1]:

FFmpeg library is not packaged with 3D Slicer due to licensing restrictions.

As far as I can tell, this implementation uses the ffmpeg binary. (?) If accurate, there would be no license issue with distributing ffmpeg directly, because shelling-out without linking the ffmpeg shared library falls under the "Mere Aggregation" clause of the GPL and LGPL [2]. There are a number of commercial projects using ffmpeg this way (including at least one commercial VTK/ITK user).

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks Mike, that’s a very good point. You can now include youtube videos on the Slicer wiki (and many other services) – I’ve added an example on the documentation page (http://wiki.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Documentation/Nightly/Modules/ScreenCapture).

Mike, do the video files have to be on an external server (youtube, vimeo, etc) or we can show videos that are stored in the Slicer wiki? (these video files are not big, usually 4-5MB)

Note that the animated GIFs that are shown on the module documentation page are really small (200-300KB) and still quite high quality, thanks to the nice palette and compression optimization by ffmpeg (and of course due to the small image dimensions). I guess GIFs that are this small should not cause problems anywhere.

Andras

Re: New module for create videos for presentations and websites

Fernando Pérez-García
Hi Andras,

I tried the module this morning, right before receiving your message. I
really like it! A couple of points:
 - The range of the start and end rotations angles is 0-180. How can one
take a video of 360 degrees?
 - I can't see the watermark option. I installed the nightly this morning.
 - I think the choice of the quality of the output could be more user
friendly.

Best,

Fernando

Fernando

Re: [slicer-devel] New module for create videos for presentations and websites

Andrey Fedorov-2
> Mike, do the video files have to be on an external server (youtube, vimeo,
> etc) or we can show videos that are stored in the Slicer wiki? (these video
> files are not big, usually 4-5MB)

On our side, we plan to continue using external hosting solutions like
YouTube and Vimeo for tutorial videos. This the the choice I made for
the projects I am involved in based on my analysis of pros and cons
with respect to Slicer wiki, and other considerations related to the
nature of funding mechanisms and community involvement.

I could start listing my motivation here, but I don't think it is needed.

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Mike, that’s a very good point. You can now include youtube videos on
> the Slicer wiki (and many other services) – I’ve added an example on the
> documentation page
> (http://wiki.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Documentation/Nightly/Modules/ScreenCapture).
>

> Mike, do the video files have to be on an external server (youtube, vimeo,
> etc) or we can show videos that are stored in the Slicer wiki? (these video
> files are not big, usually 4-5MB)
>

> Note that the animated GIFs that are shown on the module documentation page
> are really small (200-300KB) and still quite high quality, thanks to the
> nice palette and compression optimization by ffmpeg (and of course due to
> the small image dimensions). I guess GIFs that are this small should not
> cause problems anywhere.
>

> Andras

Dzenan Zukic
This will definitely come in handy for publishing results. Thanks Andras!

Dženan Zukić, PhD, Senior R&D Engineer, Kitware (Carrboro, N.C.)

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Andrey Fedorov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mike, do the video files have to be on an external server (youtube, vimeo,
> etc) or we can show videos that are stored in the Slicer wiki? (these video
> files are not big, usually 4-5MB)

On our side, we plan to continue using external hosting solutions like
YouTube and Vimeo for tutorial videos. This the the choice I made for
the projects I am involved in based on my analysis of pros and cons
with respect to Slicer wiki, and other considerations related to the
nature of funding mechanisms and community involvement.

I could start listing my motivation here, but I don't think it is needed.

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Mike, that’s a very good point. You can now include youtube videos on
> the Slicer wiki (and many other services) – I’ve added an example on the
> documentation page
> (http://wiki.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Documentation/Nightly/Modules/ScreenCapture).
>

> Mike, do the video files have to be on an external server (youtube, vimeo,
> etc) or we can show videos that are stored in the Slicer wiki? (these video
> files are not big, usually 4-5MB)
>

> Note that the animated GIFs that are shown on the module documentation page
> are really small (200-300KB) and still quite high quality, thanks to the
> nice palette and compression optimization by ffmpeg (and of course due to
> the small image dimensions). I guess GIFs that are this small should not
> cause problems anywhere.
>

> Andras

Thanks for the feedback. See answers below.

> The range of the start and end rotations angles is 0-180. How can one take a video of 360 degrees?

There are two sliders, 0-180 deg. I've changed the layout to use a single range slider to make this more clear (available in tomorrow's nightly build).

Search for "Add a watermark image" on the module documentation page for instructions (http://wiki.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Documentation/Nightly/Modules/ScreenCapture). In the future commonly asked features may get a convenient user interface.

> I think the choice of the quality of the output could be more user friendly.

Currently you can choose from a list. I'm not sure how this could be made more user-friendly.

Re: New module for create videos for presentations and websites

Fernando Pérez-García
Hi Andras,

Yesterday, when I wrote my message, these were the options:
<http://slicer-users.65878.n3.nabble.com/file/n4031045/yesterday.png>

Today I have this, which is good:
<http://slicer-users.65878.n3.nabble.com/file/n4031045/today.png>

I still see two sliders, I guess tomorrow I'll have just one.

Thanks Andras

Thanks Andras

Re: [slicer-devel] New module for create videos for presentations and websites

You might need to pay licensing fees to MPEG LA and similar groups if you use certain video compression methods in ffmpeg (https://ffmpeg.org/legal.html). But maybe this should not prevent us including ffmpeg with Slicer and it's enough to just add a link to the ffmpeg legal page.

Also, ffmpeg package is quite large (50MB, compressed 20MB), so it may be better to download it on request than increasing the package size. What do you think about uploading binary packages to github (a new project in the Slicer organization) or MIDAS and download it from there when the user requests video export?

Andras

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 7:16 AM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

You might need to pay licensing fees to MPEG LA and similar groups if you use certain video compression methods in ffmpeg (https://ffmpeg.org/legal.html). But maybe this should not prevent us including ffmpeg with Slicer and it's enough to just add a link to the ffmpeg legal page.

Good point. Better to be safe (or only build ffmpeg with unencumbered formats, but that is less convenient for users on some OS).

Also, ffmpeg package is quite large (50MB, compressed 20MB), so it may be better to download it on request than increasing the package size. What do you think about uploading binary packages to github (a new project in the Slicer organization) or MIDAS and download it from there when the user requests video export?

+1

Andras

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Dzenan Zukic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Since the test of download speed have shown GitHub is faster, let's put it
> there from the get-go.

+1

> Regards
>
> Dženan Zukić, PhD, Senior R&D Engineer, Kitware (Carrboro, N.C.)
>
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> +1
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Isaiah Norton <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Good point. Better to be safe (or only build ffmpeg with unencumbered
>>> formats, but that is less convenient for users on some OS).

>>> +1

I've added ffmpeg auto-detect and auto-download to ScreenCapture module and it'll be available in tomorrow's nightly build (https://github.com/Slicer/Slicer/commit/f5041aea18fd8942515960bcdf7913b719b50177).

There are some limitations:
* Auto-detect only checks at /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg, if anyone knows about any other common ffmpeg locations then please let me know.
* Auto-download only works on Windows, as I'm not sure if there is a linux package that could be universally used; and how installation of downloaded binaries works on MacOS. Contributions are welcome.

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Dzenan Zukic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Since the test of download speed have shown GitHub is faster, let's
> put it there from the get-go.

+1

chir.set@free.fr
Le mercredi 28 septembre 2016 16:31:53 CEST Andras Lasso a écrit :
> /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg, if anyone knows about any other common ffmpeg
> locations then please let me know.

Most distributions use /usr/bin/ffmpeg though.

Concerning a Volume Rendering model to be captured, some details about tuning
the rate of capturing would be welcome. For instance, if I ask for 30°
rotation with 60 images, the resulting video would be a still image for the
duration specified. I have to use a rough approximate of one image per degree
rotation.

Regards and congratulations for this marvelous module.

12