New "scissors" effect in Segment Editor for 3D clipping

New "scissors" effect in Segment Editor for 3D clipping

We’ve just added the long-awaited “scissors” effect in Segment Editor module. The effect allows outlining a region in a viewer and clear or fill it. It can be used for removing unwanted objects, cropping to a region of interest, or splitting a segment into two separate parts. The effect is available in tomorrow’s nightly release.

Short demo: https://youtu.be/m4zTj8i4tCA

Features:

·       Outline can be drawn in any 3D or a slice viewer, using free-form curve, circle, or rectangle shape.

·       The selected region can be filled, cleared, or assigned to a different segment.

·       Standard masking options are supported - for example, filling can be constrained by image intensity range or restricted to a selected segment.

Thanks to Davide Punzo for developing the astro cloud segmenter effect, which inspired this new scissors effect (see his demo at https://youtu.be/v6x3uPuLxzM).

Re: New "scissors" effect in Segment Editor for 3D clipping

Murat Maga

Awesome! Thank you very much!

Now please consider adding an interpolated slice by slice segmentation feature.

Re: New "scissors" effect in Segment Editor for 3D clipping

Dzenan Zukic
Good job Andras!

Murat: slice interpolation is available in ITK as a remote module and has been integrated in ITK-SNAP 3.6.0-beta. Integration in this beta is a bit clumsy, preventing proper interpolation of all labels.

Regards

Dženan Zukić, PhD, Senior R&D Engineer, Kitware (Carrboro, N.C.)

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 12:39 AM, Murat Maga <[hidden email]> wrote:

Awesome! Thank you very much!

Now please consider adding an interpolated slice by slice segmentation feature.

Re: [slicer-devel] New "scissors" effect in Segment Editor for 3D clipping

Andrey Fedorov-2
Dzenan, thanks for mentioning this development!

For completeness and reference, this article contains more details
about implementation and its evaluation:
http://insight-journal.org/browse/publication/977

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Dzenan Zukic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good job Andras!
>
> Murat: slice interpolation is available in ITK as a remote module and has
> been integrated in ITK-SNAP 3.6.0-beta. Integration in this beta is a bit
> clumsy, preventing proper interpolation of all labels.
>
> Regards
>
> Dženan Zukić, PhD, Senior R&D Engineer, Kitware (Carrboro, N.C.)
>
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 12:39 AM, Murat Maga <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Awesome! Thank you very much!
>>

>> Now please consider adding an interpolated slice by slice segmentation
>> feature.

arumiat
Not working for me Andras, clear to you why?
https://vimeo.com/187856580/ab924b2160

Re: [slicer-devel] New "scissors" effect in Segment Editor for 3D clipping

Andras Lasso-2
The Scissors tool is for cutting segments in segmentation nodes. In the screen capture video you show a green model node, while trying to cut a blue segment.

You have to import the model or labelmap into a segmentation node (https://www.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Documentation/Nightly/Modules/Segmentations#How_to), hide or delete the imported model or labelmap (to make sure you actually see the segmentation), and then use the Scissors tool on the segmentation.