Overlapping segmentations labels overlay visualization

Overlapping segmentations labels overlay visualization

Andrey Fedorov-2
Csaba,

I am trying to understand the behavior, which I think is related to the introduction of Segmentations.

I load two label volumes, that are identical, except that they are assigned different color (pink and blue).

First issue: After I load both, I see this (strange? interesting? definitely unexpected!) result:

Inline image 1

I am not sure how to interpret this display.

Second issue: with the traditional way segmentations were handled, it was always very clear what segmentation is being displayed, by means of either label selector, or by looking at the DataProbe panel.

Right now, I can have label selector empty, and I will still see label overlay, but I have no way to know what that overlay is (DataProbe is silent).

Inline image 2

I am not sure what is the best solution to handle this, but it is very confusing, and potentially dangerous in some situations.

I cc the user list to see what other folks think about this, and maybe come up with some suggestions how this should be remedied.

AF

Re: Overlapping segmentations labels overlay visualization

Andras Lasso-2

Can you check what kind of nodes do you have in your scene? From the image it seems that you have a labelmap node and a segmentation node.

DataProbe support has not been added yet (we had to integrate Segmentations into Slicer core first). I would not consider it dangerous to show segmentations (or model slice intersections, markups, etc) in the slice viewer without showing info about them in the DataProbe, but it is certainly useful and we plan to implement this feature.

Andras

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

Can you check what kind of nodes do you have in your scene? From the image it seems that you have a labelmap node and a segmentation node.

Indeed, I have one Segmentation node (imported by DICOM SEG plugin) and one label node (loaded using Add data).

Is this how it is supposed to work? Shouldn't loading be consistently done into Label nodes, or Segmentation nodes?

DataProbe support has not been added yet (we had to integrate Segmentations into Slicer core first). I would not consider it dangerous to show segmentations (or model slice intersections, markups, etc) in the slice viewer without showing info about them in the DataProbe, but it is certainly useful and we plan to implement this feature.

I disagree. I think it is error-prone and can be dangerous in some situations to look at the overlay of segmentation without knowing what that segmentation is. Operator will need to guess, or rely on memory, or on color conventions, or on location of the segmentation.

It is definitely not dangerous and not error prone when all you have is one segmentation, and this does not change over the course of time.

Andras