Problem loading images

Michele
I have a DVD of a CT scan that contains a directory called IMAGES which contains files named IMG000001 through IMG001513.  I installed Slicer 4.0.0 on my PC.  I clicked on "Add data into the scene" -> "Choose directory to add".  I pointed it to my image directory and clicked OK.  Several minutes later, the Load window went away and I was left with the 3D viewing window but it is empty.

Am I missing some critical step here?  How do I get one of these nice 3D volume representations of my images?  I've looked all over for an answer to this (including the "loading images" tutorial) but came up empty.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Problem loading images

Michele
This post was updated on .
Well I found an excellent tutorial on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKLWzD0PiIc&html5=1) that walks you through the steps needed to load data and produce an STL file for 3D printing.  I managed to get some images to load and did in fact make a real 3D print from that.  It all worked quite nicely and I'm very impressed with 3D Slicer.

But I'm left with one question and hopefully someone can help me.  The DVD I have has two scans and 19 studies on it for a total of 1513 .dcm images, and all the images are lumped together into a single directory with the uninformative names of IMnnnnn.  Turns out that's way too many for my limited computing horsepower.  If I try to load the entire directory, it never finishes.  It took 15 hours just to load 40% before I gave up.  And there's something non-polynomial going on as each image was taking longer to load than the one before.

I ended up copying the first 71 images to a new directory and loading that.  From that I was able to see one study but it's not the one I really wanted.

So my question is, is there some way in Slicer to select a particular study without loading the entire directory first?  Or is there some other way to do this?  The DVD comes with a viewer called ETIAM Viewer Lite and it seems to be able to make a table of contents of the various studies pretty quickly (but it doesn't tell you the image names in them).

Re: Problem loading images

Fernando Pérez-García
Hi Michele,

Have you tried importing your images using the DICOM module?

Best,

Fernando

Fernando

Re: Problem loading images

Michele
"Have you tried importing your images using the DICOM module? "

DING!  Thank you so much for that suggestion.  That was *exactly* the
problem.  When I did that, the directory loaded in a matter of seconds and I
was able to go directly to just the study I wanted.  In retrospect, I chose
"Load data" instead of "Load DICOM" because my DVD had a directory called
IMAGES but none called DICOM.  And that led me exactly down the wrong path.
Bottom line, I now have a 3D print of the region I wanted.  Yay!

Re: Problem loading images

Michele
"Have you tried importing your images using the DICOM module? "

DING!  Thank you so much for that suggestion.  That was *exactly* the problem.  When I did that, the directory loaded in a matter of seconds and I was able to go directly to just the study I wanted.  In retrospect, I chose "Load data" instead of "Load DICOM" because my DVD had a directory called IMAGES but none called DICOM.  And that led me exactly down the wrong path.  Bottom line, I now have a 3D print of the region I wanted.  Yay!

Re: Problem loading images

Sonia Pujol
Hi Michele,

You can also drag and drop the directory that contains the DICOM images directly into Slicer.

Best,

Sonia

On 05 Oct 2016, at 08:07 pm, Michele <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Have you tried importing your images using the DICOM module? "
>
> DING!  Thank you so much for that suggestion.  That was *exactly* the
> problem.  When I did that, the directory loaded in a matter of seconds and I
> was able to go directly to just the study I wanted.  In retrospect, I chose
> "Load data" instead of "Load DICOM" because my DVD had a directory called
> IMAGES but none called DICOM.  And that led me exactly down the wrong path.
> Bottom line, I now have a 3D print of the region I wanted.  Yay!

----
Sonia Pujol, Ph.D.
Surgical Planning Laboratory
Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School
Boston, MA 02115