Random dots in STL file

Rutvij Kotecha
Hi,

I was following the tutorial on YouTube for creating a 3D model from DICOM: "Tutorial: Preparing Data for 3D Printing Using 3D Slicer" (link: https://youtu.be/MKLWzD0PiIc) and I have some issues.

I realized that the model used in the tutorial is same as the Sample Data: CT scan of PreDentalSurgery. Therefore I had the exact same file as the one in tutorial. FYI... I was modeling the TMJ by following the tutorial.

However, when I created the 3D model (STL file), I got a lot of random dots, like the one shown in the attached screenshot. How do I get rid of them and make a clean model like the one shown in the tutorial?

Also, my model is a bit rough towards the top. I can't figure out why?

Can someone please help me with these two questions?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Rutvij Kotecha

TMJ-issue.jpeg (237K) Download Attachment

Re: Random dots in STL file

Steve Pieper-2
Hi Rutvij -

Those are artifacts you can expect due to noise in the CT scan.

There is some good tutorial material at the embodi3d site that should help you:

Best of luck,
Steve

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Rutvij Kotecha <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Csaba Pinter-2

You can remove the dots with the Scissor tool in Segment Editor by rotating the 3D view so that you have a clear separation of the object and the dots, and do the cutting a few times.

I’d suggest using the new Segment Editor module instead of the legacy Editor module that is used in the referred tutorial. It offers more features, and does the conversion to surface automatically.

csaba

Re: Random dots in STL file

Andras Lasso-2

You can also use the “Identify islands” effect to remove small artifacts and move  non-connected pieces into separate segments.

Andras