Re: CI4CC Workshop: The Role of Academic Technology Development in Cancer Research

Re: CI4CC Workshop: The Role of Academic Technology Development in Cancer Research

Andrey Fedorov-2
For those of you who were interested in this workshop, but did not
attend, the slides and minutes are now available at this web site:

http://qiicr.org/CI4CC-Spring2016-ASW

Enjoy!

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Andrey Fedorov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> The goal of the workshop is to discuss the role of academic
> informatics technology in cancer research, with an emphasis on
> technology developed through the Informatics Technology for Cancer
> Research program (ITCR). ITCR is a relatively young program at NCI
> that aims to sustainably support development, maintenance and
> dissemination of investigator-initiated, research-driven informatics
> technology. As part of NCI, ITCR is interested in integration of
> informatics technology development with hypothesis-driven cancer
> research and translational/clinical investigations. ITCR promotes
> public-private partnership in technology development and distribution.
> Both commercial and academic technology play an important role in
> biomedical research, including clinical research. In this workshop we
> will provide a discussion forum to better understand the approaches,
> strengths, and limitations of academic technology development
> processes as well as the interfaces between the commercial and
> academic technology development communities.
>
> The workshop will be held on the first day of Spring 2015 CI4CC
> symposium (http://www.ci4cc.org/events/spring2016) on March 13 in
> Napa, California. Details, agenda (under development, not yet
> finalized) and the list of confirmed speakers and sessions are
> available in this document: https://goo.gl/EUKIZ3.
>
> A variety of perspectives will be represented, including those of
> funding and regulatory agencies, academic investigators, industry
> partners as well as user communities. Through short talks and panels,
> we aim to discuss:
>
>  - The factors that affect how academic researchers construct,
> maintain and support software
>
>  - The current state of academic informatics technology supporting a
> range of cancer research areas
>
>  - The potential advantages and difficulties in adopting academic technology
>
>  - Who is adopting which technologies and why
>
>  - How decisions about software infrastructure made within the cancer centers
>
>  - The balance, synergy and interoperability between academic and
> commercial tools, including open source development
>
>  - What models are being used to financially support academic
> technologies, including commercialization and funding opportunities,
> and how these models ultimately affect the cancer research community
>
> We understand this is a very short notice, and we apologize for this.
> But we still hope those interested will be able to put this in their
> calendars to attend. We look forward to seeing you and to your
> participation in the discussions!
>
> Please feel free to extend this invitation to the groups and people
> who you think might be interested in attending.
>
> --
> Co-chairs of the workshop
> Mary Goldman, UC Santa Cruz Genomics Institute
> Andrey Fedorov, Brigham and Women’s Hospital

Re: CI4CC Workshop: The Role of Academic Technology Development in Cancer Research

Steve Pieper-2
Confirmed.