Re: [slicer-users] 3D Slicer in VirtualBox

Re: [slicer-users] 3D Slicer in VirtualBox

devakumar-3

Hi Daniel

Hope my experience will help you in running 3D Slicer in a VirtualBox environment.

Method 1.

I have installed 3D Slicer in a remote cluster which has good CPU power but not good GPU. I access the 3D Slicer which is in the cluster from my local Windows XP machine. I installed Cygwin/X which installs the X server in the local Windows XP machine. The OpenGL extensions are loaded in the X server by default. I selected “All” options during the installation of Cygwin/X, which would have installed all the OpenGL extensions. I usually start a Cygwin terminal, then start the X server by the command “startx”, login to the cluster by “ssh –Y cluster_ip_address” and “cd” to the Slicer directory and start the slicer with the command “./Slicer”. I am able to work on the Slicer without any problem. The display crashes once in a week, that too if I open many application windows in the local machine. 3D acceleration is performed in the local machine using the X server. A good graphics card in the local machine would be useful.

Method 2.

I am planning to test the following option also and I hope this method also will work for running 3D Slicer in VirtualBox. This will be the VirtualBox in the same local machine.

Step 1. I am planning to install Red Hat Linux with dedicated graphics card

Step 2. Install a Virtualization software and create a Virtual machine

Step 3. Install Windows XP on the Virtual machine with dedicated graphics card

I assume I will be able to install 3D Slicer on the Linux and Windows XP on the same machine and I can run both of them simultaneously on the same machine.

Method 1 is tested and I am using for few months without any problem. I will test Method 2 by the end of this month.

Good Luck with your work.

Kumar

Devakumar Devadhas Ph.D

Post Doctoral Fellow

Department of Radiology and Molecular Biology

Thomas Jefferson University

Philadelphia, PA-19107

Message: 4

Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 19:35:23 +0100

From: Daniel Haehn <[hidden email]>

Subject: [slicer-users] 3D Slicer in VirtualBox

To: slicer-users <[hidden email]>

Hi all,

does anyone have experience in running 3D Slicer in a VirtualBox environment? Supposedly OpenGL and 3D acceleration should be supported but my Slicer does not start up. Nothing happens after the first small splash screen.

Bye,

Daniel

Re: [slicer-users] 3D Slicer in VirtualBox

Daniel Haehn
Hi Kumar,

thank you for your reply.

So Method 2 sounds exactly what I want to do. I am running Ubuntu on my
machine and set up VirtualBox including the Guest Additions with a guest
Windows XP system. Direct3D and graphics acceleration works fine after
installing the guest additions but 3D Slicer does not start up. I have
to test the OpenGL bindings on the guest system.

Bye,
Daniel

On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 10:55 -0500, Devakumar wrote:

> Hi Daniel
>

> Hope my experience will help you in running 3D Slicer in a VirtualBox
> environment.
>

> Method 1.
>
> I have installed 3D Slicer in a remote cluster which has good CPU
> power but not good GPU. I access the 3D Slicer which is in the cluster
> from my local Windows XP machine. I installed Cygwin/X which installs
> the X server in the local Windows XP machine. The OpenGL extensions
> are loaded in the X server by default. I selected “All” options during
> the installation of Cygwin/X, which would have installed all the
> OpenGL extensions. I usually start a Cygwin terminal, then start the X
> server by the command “startx”, login to the cluster by “ssh –Y
> cluster_ip_address” and “cd” to the Slicer directory and start the
> slicer with the command “./Slicer”. I am able to work on the Slicer
> without any problem. The display crashes once in a week, that too if I
> open many application windows in the local machine. 3D acceleration is
> performed in the local machine using the X server. A good graphics
> card in the local machine would be useful.
>

> Method 2.
>
> I am planning to test the following option also and I hope this method
> also will work for running 3D Slicer in VirtualBox. This will be the
> VirtualBox in the same local machine.
>
> Step 1. I am planning to install Red Hat Linux with dedicated graphics
> card
>
> Step 2. Install a Virtualization software and create a Virtual machine
>
> Step 3. Install Windows XP on the Virtual machine with dedicated
> graphics card
>
> I assume I will be able to install 3D Slicer on the Linux and Windows
> XP on the same machine and I can run both of them simultaneously on
> the same machine.
>

> Method 1 is tested and I am using for few months without any problem.
> I will test Method 2 by the end of this month.
>

> Good Luck with your work.
>

> Kumar
>

> Devakumar Devadhas Ph.D
>
> Post Doctoral Fellow
>
> Department of Radiology and Molecular Biology
>
> Thomas Jefferson University
>
> Philadelphia, PA-19107
>

> Message: 4
>
> Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 19:35:23 +0100
>
> From: Daniel Haehn <[hidden email]>
>
> Subject: [slicer-users] 3D Slicer in VirtualBox
>
> To: slicer-users <[hidden email]>

> Hi all,
>

> does anyone have experience in running 3D Slicer in a VirtualBox
> environment? Supposedly OpenGL and 3D acceleration should be supported
> but my Slicer does not start up. Nothing happens after the first small
> splash screen.
>

> Bye,
>
> Daniel

Re: [slicer-users] 3D Slicer in VirtualBox

Sylvain Jaume-2
Hi Daniel,

I am curious to know if you have found a solution. I might be running
into the same problem. My configuration is:

- MacBook Pro
- VMWare
- Windows XP
- Slicer nightly build

The splash screen appears for a second and crashes immediately. Please
share the knowledge.
Sylvain

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:40 AM, Daniel Haehn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>

>> Good Luck with your work.
>>

>> Kumar
>>

>> Devakumar Devadhas Ph.D
>>
>> Post Doctoral Fellow
>>
>> Department of Radiology and Molecular Biology
>>
>> Thomas Jefferson University
>>
>> Philadelphia, PA-19107
>>

>> Message: 4
>>
>> Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 19:35:23 +0100
>>
>> From: Daniel Haehn <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Subject: [slicer-users] 3D Slicer in VirtualBox
>>
>> To: slicer-users <[hidden email]>

>> Hi all,
>>

>> does anyone have experience in running 3D Slicer in a VirtualBox
>> environment? Supposedly OpenGL and 3D acceleration should be supported
>> but my Slicer does not start up. Nothing happens after the first small
>> splash screen.
>>

>> Bye,
>>
>> Daniel

Re: [slicer-users] 3D Slicer in VirtualBox

Hey Sylvain,

this is odd. I did not find a solution yet but I tried
QtGears (http://lab.bachem-it.com/opengl/qtgears/) which is similar to
glxgears and it seems that OpenGL and 3D acceleration work fine..

Bye,
Daniel

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 22:37 -0500, Sylvain Jaume wrote:

> [...]
> >>

> >> Good Luck with your work.
> >>

> >> Kumar
> >>

> >> Devakumar Devadhas Ph.D
> >>
> >> Post Doctoral Fellow
> >>
> >> Department of Radiology and Molecular Biology
> >>
> >> Thomas Jefferson University
> >>
> >> Philadelphia, PA-19107
> >>

> >> Message: 4
> >>
> >> Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 19:35:23 +0100
> >>
> >> From: Daniel Haehn <[hidden email]>
> >>
> >> Subject: [slicer-users] 3D Slicer in VirtualBox
> >>
> >> To: slicer-users <[hidden email]>

> >> Hi all,
> >>

> >> does anyone have experience in running 3D Slicer in a VirtualBox
> >> environment? Supposedly OpenGL and 3D acceleration should be supported
> >> but my Slicer does not start up. Nothing happens after the first small
> >> splash screen.
> >>

> >> Bye,
> >>
> >> Daniel

Re: [slicer-users] 3D Slicer in VirtualBox

Wendy Plesniak
Hi Sylvain,
I have a similar setup:

-Macbook Pro
-Parallels
-WinXP 64-bit
-co from Slicer trunk

Things are now working well, but I did have to
modify the Cygwin components I chose to install
before I did get Slicer to successfully run -- prior
to that I also got a spash screen, then quit
with error.

So maybe there's a clue in there...
-wen

On Jan 27, 2010, at 2:38 PM, Daniel Haehn wrote:

> Hey Sylvain,
>
> this is odd. I did not find a solution yet but I tried
> QtGears (http://lab.bachem-it.com/opengl/qtgears/) which is similar to
> glxgears and it seems that OpenGL and 3D acceleration work fine..
>
> Bye,
> Daniel
>
> On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 22:37 -0500, Sylvain Jaume wrote:
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> I am curious to know if you have found a solution. I might be running
>> into the same problem. My configuration is:
>>
>> - MacBook Pro
>> - VMWare
>> - Windows XP
>> - Slicer nightly build
>>
>> The splash screen appears for a second and crashes immediately. Please
>> share the knowledge.
>> Sylvain
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 3:40 AM, Daniel Haehn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Kumar,
>>>
>>> thank you for your reply.
>>>
>>> So Method 2 sounds exactly what I want to do. I am running Ubuntu on my
>>> machine and set up VirtualBox including the Guest Additions with a guest
>>> Windows XP system. Direct3D and graphics acceleration works fine after
>>> installing the guest additions but 3D Slicer does not start up. I have
>>> to test the OpenGL bindings on the guest system.
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Daniel

Re: 3D Slicer in VirtualBox

Daniel Haehn
Hi Wendy,

oh, I was trying a compiled nightly build directly without cygwin.

Thank you,
Daniel