Slicer mailing list

arumiat
Out of curiosity, why does the Slicer community use a mailing list rather
than a forum? I know it's just been migrated but I was wondering whether
using something like a Google groups might be a better thing. I love Slicer
but the regular emails on areas I have no ability to contribute on I can
imagine might be cause for people who might otherwise stick around and give
help to others (by dropping into a forum on a regular basis) to unsubscribe
from the mailing list. In my humble opinion the look of the mailing list
doesn't do the quality of the actual program justice either.

You must all be in Barca, hope you're enjoying yourselves,

Re: Slicer mailing list

Steve Pieper-2
We're just old-fashioned and stuck in our ways, I guess!

A forum makes sense but I haven't really thought about it.  It would make sense to modernize.  Maybe something like stack overflow should be our first line of support for users.

-Steve

p.s. yes, Barcelona is wonderful...

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 4:33 PM, arumiat <[hidden email]> wrote:
Out of curiosity, why does the Slicer community use a mailing list rather
than a forum? I know it's just been migrated but I was wondering whether
using something like a Google groups might be a better thing. I love Slicer
but the regular emails on areas I have no ability to contribute on I can
imagine might be cause for people who might otherwise stick around and give
help to others (by dropping into a forum on a regular basis) to unsubscribe
from the mailing list. In my humble opinion the look of the mailing list
doesn't do the quality of the actual program justice either.

You must all be in Barca, hope you're enjoying yourselves,

Re: Slicer mailing list

James J Cook

Even in our modern age, mailing lists are useful. They require very little maintenance.

James Cook
CIVM, DUHS

Re: Slicer mailing list

arumiat
James J Cook wrote
> Even in our modern age, mailing lists are useful. They require very little
> maintenance.

Sure, it's functional. But I think a forum holds a number of benefits
1. it allows better organisation of content, sub-forums etc
2. they have more powerful search functions for finding related issues
3. you could have stickied threads for beginners for getting started with
text tutorials and links to the Youtube tutorials you have. I don't think
there's a clear progression for beginners to get started
4. the Slicer community is constantly producing awesome stuff, which isn't
really getting showcased, unless users themselves make the effort to update
the visual blog. The visual blog could get integrated into a sort of slider/
gallery function at the top of forums. A big part of Slicer is its
visualisation capabilities, which are often beautiful, and even if not
necessarily 'beautiful', imaginative. Why not show all these use cases off?
If people see others doing the same thing it might encourage them to post
their work too.
5. it would be a better place to make announcements. I wouldn't have heard
about the Barca slicer meetup unless Ron had specifically mentioned this to
me(really wish I could have afforded the trip!). Where was this advertised?
I don't remember getting an email about it on the mailing list? The team is
always bringing out cool tools and I'll often spend ages trawling through
old pages of threads trying to find out about them when they suddenly become
relevant
6. I have a feeling the community loses subscribers it might not otherwise
due to constant emails. Often I'll end up in private email threads with
people related to the software, but whereby I've no doubt that people would
otherwise get bored of the back and forth if each and every response was
getting delivered to the entire list
7. email threads become pretty uncomfortable to read after a few replies as
they copy everything inline from every previous response
8. the mailing list looks dated and doesn't do the software justice

As an open-source software that I imagine relies heavily on community
engagement to grow and improve, and with the times we're in where
visualisation is becoming an  ever more important medical field
<http://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/medicalvisualisation/>  I really
think it would be sensible to at least think about a new method that would
foster this. There are many forum softwares out there that would do 95% of
the maintenance work for you, and with the skillset and calibre of people
making the software(!) I really don't think maintaining the forum would be
much more difficult that the mailing list.

Steve Pieper wrote
>  Maybe something like stack overflow should be our first line of support
> for users.

Steve IMHO a lot of answers on Slicer don't seem clear cut enough for the
rigid Q&A format StackOverflow encourages, and it's also pretty daunting for
people who aren't familiar with it, but yes it would be an improvement for
sure.

Interested to hear your thoughts

Re: Slicer mailing list

arumiat
James J Cook wrote
[...]

As an open-source software that I imagine relies heavily on community engagement to grow and improve, and with the times we're in where visualisation is becoming an ever more important medical field I really think it would be sensible to at least think about a new method that would foster this. There are many forum softwares out there that would do 95% of the maintenance work for you, and with the skillset and calibre of people making the software(!) I really don't think maintaining the forum would be much more difficult that the mailing list.

Steve Pieper wrote
 Maybe something like stack overflow should be our first line of support for users.
Steve IMHO a lot of answers on Slicer don't seem clear cut enough for the rigid Q&A format StackOverflow encourages, and it's also pretty daunting for people who aren't familiar with it, but yes it would be an improvement for sure.

Interested to hear your thoughts

Re: Slicer mailing list

Andrey Fedorov-2

All good points.

Can you give couple of examples of specific forum platforms and specific projects that you think are effective in supporting the capabilities you listed?

---
Sent from my mobile device

On Jun 25, 2015 2:00 PM, "arumiat" <[hidden email]> wrote:
James J Cook wrote
> [...]

visualisation is becoming an  ever more important medical field
<http://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/medicalvisualisation/>  I really
think it would be sensible to at least think about a new method that would
foster this. There are many forum softwares out there that would do 95% of
the maintenance work for you, and with the skillset and calibre of people
making the software(!) I really don't think maintaining the forum would be
much more difficult that the mailing list.

Steve Pieper wrote
>  Maybe something like stack overflow should be our first line of support
> for users.

Steve IMHO a lot of answers on Slicer don't seem clear cut enough for the
rigid Q&A format StackOverflow encourages, and it's also pretty daunting for
people who aren't familiar with it, but yes it would be an improvement for

This post was updated on .
The  3Dcoat forums <http://3d-coat.com/forum/>   use Invision Power
Here would be their pricing plans for a cloud based forum, starts at
$20/month
https://www.invisionpower.com/buy
-benefits are that you can have the Q&A format that you get with
StackOverflow, with upvoting of the best answers

vBulletin has a similar offering,  Blender artists
<http://blenderartists.org/forum/>   uses this
http://www.vbulletin.com/en/vbulletin-cloud/

https://nodebb.org/ looks like its free if you host it yourself.  Really
clean interface and basic functionality, upvotes etc
<https://community.nodebb.org/

https://www.proboards.com/ Completely free for basic forums, with great
features, although I can't see ability to upvote a comment
Eg http://nsgapplicants.boards.net/

http://www.simplemachines.org/ Tasharen entertainment uses this http://www.tasharen.com/forum

Happy to keep looking if you have more criteria

Re: Slicer mailing list

arumiat
The 3Dcoat forums use Invision Power
Here would be their pricing plans for a cloud based forum, starts at $20/month
https://www.invisionpower.com/buy
-benefits are that you can have the Q&A format that you get with StackOverflow, with upvoting of the best answers

vBulletin has a similar offering, Blender artists uses this
http://www.vbulletin.com/en/vbulletin-cloud/

https://nodebb.org/ looks like its free if you host it yourself. Really clean interface and basic functionality, upvotes etc

https://www.proboards.com/ Completely free for basic forums, with great features, although I can't see ability to upvote a comment
Eg http://nsgapplicants.boards.net/

Happy to keep looking if you have more criteria

Re: Slicer mailing list

Attila Nagy
A big +1!
(Imagine this mail as a single-click +1 vote on a forum... :D )

OTOH I think forum maintenance may cost more manpower than maintaining a mailing list...
 Címzett:: "arumiat" <[hidden email]>
 Másolat: "SPL Slicer Users" <[hidden email]>
 Dátum: 2015. június. 25., Csütörtök, 20:19

 All good points.
 Can you give couple of examples of specific
 forum platforms and specific projects that you think are
 effective in supporting the capabilities you listed?
 ---

 Sent from my mobile device
 On Jun 25, 2015 2:00
 PM, "arumiat" <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

 James J Cook wrote

> [...]

 I really

 think it would be sensible to at least think about a new
 method that would

 foster this. There are many forum softwares out there that
 would do 95% of

 the maintenance work for you, and with the skillset and
 calibre of people

 making the software(!) I really don't think maintaining
 the forum would be

 much more difficult that the mailing list.

 Steve Pieper wrote

 >  Maybe something like stack overflow should be our
 first line of support

 > for users.

 Steve IMHO a lot of answers on Slicer don't seem clear
 cut enough for the

 rigid Q&A format StackOverflow encourages, and it's
 also pretty daunting for

 people who aren't familiar with it, but yes it would be

 Nabble.com.

 [hidden email] with unsubscribe as
 the subject

 The information in this e-mail is intended only for the
 person to whom it is

 addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in
 error and the e-mail

 contains patient information, please contact the Partners
 Compliance HelpLine at

 http://www.partners.org/complianceline
 . If the e-mail was sent to you in error

 but does not contain patient information, please contact the
 sender and properly

 dispose of the e-mail.

 -----Beillesztett melléklet következik-----

 The
 information in this e-mail is intended only for the person
 to whom it is
 addressed. If you believe this
 e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail
 contains patient information, please contact
 the Partners Compliance HelpLine at
 http://www.partners.org/complianceline .
 If the e-mail was sent to you in error
 but
 does not contain patient information, please contact the
 sender and properly
 dispose of the
 e-mail.

Re: Slicer mailing list

Carmine Pagliaro
I'm agree with arumiiat, too

[...]

Life is for sharing.

Re: Slicer mailing list

Strugari, Matthew SCA

Hi everyone,

I agree that moving the mailing list to a forum would be useful. Has any consideration been put into using Google Groups? It’s simple to use and quite elegant. Finding past discussions and information is a breeze.

Matthew

Re: Slicer mailing list

arumiat
Google groups would definitely be step up, but if the community can stretch
to something more sophisticated I think this would be good. Just found  this
<http://www.slicer.org/pages/Slicer_Community>   page, what fantastic work
is going on! Yet another aspect of Slicer work that could have a dedicated
area on the forums (I don't think sub-forums are possible in Ggroups). I
really do think medical visualisation is going to become just a huge field,
and a community space for Slicer could grow to be something more, - there
doen't seem to be a go-to resource on medical visualisation yet out there
that I've seen, although there are niches that seem to be doing well, like
3D printing http://www.embodi3d.com/. I should say I am happy to lend
assistance as necessary to maintenance, where my skillset will allow

Re: Slicer mailing list

arumiat
Google groups would definitely be step up, but if the community can stretch to something more sophisticated I think this would be good. Just found this page, what fantastic work is going on! Yet another aspect of Slicer work that could have a dedicated area on the forums (I don't think sub-forums are possible in Ggroups). I really do think medical visualisation is going to become just a huge field, and a community space for Slicer could grow to be something more, - there doen't seem to be a go-to resource on medical visualisation yet out there that I've seen, although there are niches that seem to be doing well, like 3D printing http://www.embodi3d.com/. I should say I am happy to lend assistance as necessary to maintenance, where my skillset will allow

Re: Slicer mailing list

chir.set@free.fr
Le mardi 23 juin 2015 20:33:38 arumiat a écrit :
> why does the Slicer community use a mailing list rather
> than a forum?

The problem of a forum is that we have to open a specific web page every day
and this is not necessarily a routine natural task. Opening a mail user agent
is done many times a day and posts are more prone to be viewed. I may be the
single one preferring the mailing list, just saying my 2c.

Re: Slicer mailing list

Steve Pieper-2
This is a very helpful discussion - I'd love to hear more people's opinions.  I can say that for myself I have never participated in a forum (or at least not much) but I'm fairly active on certain mailing lists and it's an easy habit for me.

-Steve

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 4:21 AM, SET <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le mardi 23 juin 2015 20:33:38 arumiat a écrit :
> why does the Slicer community use a mailing list rather
> than a forum?

The problem of a forum is that we have to open a specific web page every day
and this is not necessarily a routine natural task. Opening a mail user agent
is done many times a day and posts are more prone to be viewed. I may be the
single one preferring the mailing list, just saying my 2c.

Re: Slicer mailing list

Andras Lasso-2

I think most forums can be used through email the same way as mailing lists (you can get notification in email and reply in email).

The extra features of forums are nice, but if we change something then I would really like to see a better integration of our tools (use the same accounts, search globally, add cross-references, etc. between mailing list/forum, wiki, source code, bugtracker, …).

For example, there are forum extensions for MediaWiki, we might consider using one of them.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WikiForum

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Flow

It could also make sense to move to an integrated hosted solution, such as Assembla or Atlassian to minimize the setup and maintenance work.

Andras

This is a very helpful discussion - I'd love to hear more people's opinions.  I can say that for myself I have never participated in a forum (or at least not much) but I'm fairly active on certain mailing lists and it's an easy habit for me.

-Steve

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 4:21 AM, SET <[hidden email]> wrote:

Le mardi 23 juin 2015 20:33:38 arumiat a écrit :
> why does the Slicer community use a mailing list rather
> than a forum?

The problem of a forum is that we have to open a specific web page every day
and this is not necessarily a routine natural task. Opening a mail user agent
is done many times a day and posts are more prone to be viewed. I may be the
single one preferring the mailing list, just saying my 2c.

Re: Slicer mailing list

Andrey Fedorov-2
I would prefer a solution that does not require maintenance. From my
past experience, adding functional features to Slicer wiki platform is
not trivial.

Google groups provide only incremental improvement over what we have
at the moment (although zero maintenance is a good one).

I personally would love a solution that integrates with github.

This page compares capabilities of different code hosting platforms,
may be useful, but no clear winner unfortunately, just a reference
point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_source_code_hosting_facilities

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 9:05 AM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think most forums can be used through email the same way as mailing lists
> (you can get notification in email and reply in email).
>

> The extra features of forums are nice, but if we change something then I
> would really like to see a better integration of our tools (use the same
> accounts, search globally, add cross-references, etc. between mailing
> list/forum, wiki, source code, bugtracker, …).
>

> For example, there are forum extensions for MediaWiki, we might consider
> using one of them.
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WikiForum
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Flow
>

> It could also make sense to move to an integrated hosted solution, such as
> Assembla or Atlassian to minimize the setup and maintenance work.
>

> Andras

Re: Slicer mailing list

arumiat
The breadth of Atlassian's offerings is impressive.
Bitbucket for code hosting
JIRA for issue tracking and management
Confluence for project management and you can also host a great public
facing wiki
Plus really tight integration between all of the above. I don't see or
haven't found a traditional Atlassian forum solution though,  - they seem to
power this side of their offering using Confluence questions
<http://blogs.atlassian.com/2014/09/answers-meet-questions/>  , which goes
back to the Q&A style that Steve suggested. I also am not sure of if their
pricing structure would be effective for you

Re: Slicer mailing list

arumiat
The breadth of Atlassian's offerings is impressive.
Bitbucket for code hosting
JIRA for issue tracking and management
Confluence for project management and you can also host a great public facing wiki
Plus really tight integration between all of the above. I don't see or haven't found a traditional Atlassian forum solution though, - they seem to power this side of their offering using Confluence questions, which goes back to the Q&A style that Steve suggested. I also am not sure of if their pricing structure would be effective for you