Slicer to 3d file format

Rab Scott
Hi all,

I am trying to find a way of exporting slicer files to a 3d format (STL,
wrl, etc).

Alternatively has any work been done on the stereo viewing option - I
have looked in the documentation, but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks for responses

Rab Scott

--
Dr Rab Scott

Re: Slicer to 3d file format

Magnotta, Vincent A
Rab,

In 3.6 you should be able to directly save an STL file from the File->Save
Menu by selecting STL format for the model that you want to save.

Vince

On 6/3/10 9:54 AM, "Rab Scott" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to find a way of exporting slicer files to a 3d format (STL,
> wrl, etc).
>
> Alternatively has any work been done on the stereo viewing option - I
> have looked in the documentation, but can't seem to find anything.
>
> Thanks for responses
>
> Rab Scott

----------------------
Associate Professor
Department of Radiology
0453-D JCP
200 Hawkins Drive
Iowa City, IA 52242
E-mail: [hidden email]
Phone: 319-356-8255 Fax: 319-353-6275
Website: http://www.radiology.uiowa.edu

Re: Slicer to 3d file format

Wendy Plesniak
Hi Rab,
There's a way to save slicer models to STL, VTP, and VTK
formats through the File->Save interface.

And you can use the StereoViewing menubutton in the lower
portion of the gui panel to specify what kind of stereo you
would like. Please start slicer with --stereo flag on the command line.

-wen

On Jun 3, 2010, at 10:54 AM, Rab Scott wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to find a way of exporting slicer files to a 3d format (STL,
> wrl, etc).
>
> Alternatively has any work been done on the stereo viewing option - I
> have looked in the documentation, but can't seem to find anything.
>
> Thanks for responses
>
> Rab Scott
>
> --
> Dr Rab Scott

Screen shot 2010-06-03 at 11.58.51 AM.png (66K) Download Attachment
Screen shot 2010-06-03 at 11.35.20 AM.png (19K) Download Attachment

Slicer3 Stereo mode description - updated on wiki page, also

Curtis Lisle
Dear Rab,

Stereo is still something that often takes machine-specific configuration, but here is a quick overview of the stereo options.  If you are having trouble getting stereo to work in your configuration, please let us know and we'll try to help. Stereo configuration can be tricky since it is out of the mainstream of most users are doing, but the results can be worth it, depending on your application.

Please excuse me if some of these definitions are too obvious.  I am  just trying to be complete:

The first two algorithms require only 3D glasses, not any special computer hardware configurations.  The last two algorithms require special stereo-ready display systems:

Red/Blue - For use with red/blue glasses commonly available in magazines or on the internet (see http://www.3dglassesdirect.com)  The scene is drawn twice (once in each color from the location of each eye).  Using the glasses separates the views and recreates perspective.  There is some "bleedthrough" of the images to the opposite eye, but users can generally see depth using this algortihm.  The drawback to this algorithm is the natural color of objects is lost due to the red & blue rendering.

Analglyph - This algorithm uses the same glasses as the red/blue algorithm but preserves the natural color of objects.

Interlaced - In this algorithm the pixel lines from each eye are intermixed as the picture is rendered from top to bottom. With an ordinary monitor the lines will seem "jaggy" because we are observing the left and right eye's version of the scene superimposed. However, a stereo image results when interlaced signals are fed to a specially-configured stereo monitor or stereo display panel. The Hyundai S465D is one example of a panel with a vertical interlaced rendering mode. The iZ3d monitor

CrystalEyes - This stereo mode is named after the famous, legacy glasses now sold by RealD (please see the products at the following website: http://www.reald.com/Content/Crystal-Eyes-5.aspx ).  This mode is also sometimes called "active stereo" or "frame sequential stereo".   In this mode, successive video frames alternate between the left and right eyes as time progresses.  A pair of special goggles or a special display route the signals to one eye or the other in quick succession.  As long as the framerate is fast enough so the user doesn't see excessive flicker, this is a convincing rendering approach.  However, this algorithm makes the most demands on the computing and display systems of all stereo options.   Only some GPUs can produce active stereo, as support for OpenGL quad-buffered stereo mode is required.   The display device (panel, projector, CRT, etc.) attached to the workstation must also be able to handle frame sequential stereo modes as well.  Not all display devices support this rendering mode.

CrystalEyes rendering with 3D Slicer has been tested successfully on NVIDIA FX 1500, FX 4600, and FX 5600 GPUs, though these are not the only GPUs which also capable of frame sequential stereo.

Invoking Slicer3 from the command line and using the --stereo option is only required for CrystalEyes mode.   This option instructs 3D Slicer to configure a window using OpenGL Quad-buffered stereo. If you have troubles with this mode, be sure you are using current drivers for the GPU .

Good luck!

Curtis Lisle