Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

12

Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

Rutvij Kotecha
Hi team,

I am a new user of Slicer and I am pretty pumped by how amazing the software is. It's so cool that it is an OpenSource software.

I am convinced that such a powerful medical imaging software should be accessible to people all around the world, I would love to help the community.

One of the ways I can help the community is by starting a Q&A community on StackExchange.

This site hosts a variety of other sites like - Stackoverflow (for asking computer programming related questions), 3D printing (for asking 3D printing related questions), etc etc.

One of the biggest advantage is that newbies like me can leverage the previously asked questions and experts can save time from answering the same question repeatedly.

So if I have your support, I would like to propose that we form a community on StackExchange. This will enable us to answer questions and browse through the archive of previously asked questions very easily.

At the moment we need to gather enough votes / followership in order to launch the site. So I would really appreciate if you can kindly visit: http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/105354/slicer?referrer=ieJcS0QkECNo5-QYLCplIw2 and click the "Follow It!"

If we gather enough votes, Stackexchange will allow us to launch our site.

I promise to add other experts as moderators and make it very democratic.

So what do you think?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Rutvij Kotecha

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

Andras Lasso-2

I think it's very good idea. Probably it would work much better than the FAQ section on the wiki.

Andras

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

Steve Pieper-2
+1 and thanks

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 7:56 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think it's very good idea. Probably it would work much better than the FAQ section on the wiki.

Andras

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

Csaba Pinter-2

Great idea! We should have thought of this long ago. This way users and new developers won’t ask the same questions.

csaba

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 7:56 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think it's very good idea. Probably it would work much better than the FAQ section on the wiki.

Andras

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

Andrey Fedorov-2
Rutvij,

In the past ideas like yours were approached with caution, since platforms like stack overflow don't replace email list. Concerns were voiced that developers would need to watch multiple sources of support, responses will need to be duplicated, and people who don't use the alternative platform will not be getting the updates.

It will be interesting to see how this will work out. I support your experiment!

AF

On Dec 22, 2016 20:32, "Csaba Pinter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Great idea! We should have thought of this long ago. This way users and new developers won’t ask the same questions.

csaba

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 7:56 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think it's very good idea. Probably it would work much better than the FAQ section on the wiki.

Andras

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

It's an interesting idea, but I think "3D Slicer" is too specific a topic to get sufficient traction. I've been involved in a few of these, and the activation barriers on Area51 are quite high: 200 committed users for the first stage, then even higher daily activity requirements. As a point of comparison, slicer-users has about 2000 subscribers, but probably only a few dozen regular participants. There were attempts to do this for neuroimaging/informatics, medical imaging, and several similar topics a few years ago -- none of them got nearly enough support or activity. (but the first one did eventually lead to http://neurostars.org -- privately hosted).

I would suggest a much more general scope: for example even as broad as: "Medical Image Processing and Surgical Navigation".

(one thing I really don't like about the process is that they *delete* expired proposals, so all of the effort to make good questions/answers goes away if the proposal fails)

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 6:12 PM, Rutvij Kotecha <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

I think it would be a nice experiment to try. Hopefully, if it works, more users will be able to ask questions and get better at using the software; while developers will be able to interact and develop powerful tools.

Considering the policy regarding the number of users/followers, I just sent an email to Jeff Atwood and Joel Spolsky (founders of Stack Exchange) asking if they can grant us an exception to the rule for an year. If we can build up the community by then, awesome! If not, they can shut it down.

Let's see what they say. :)

If it does not pan out, we can figure out some other alternatives.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Rutvij

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 6:44 AM, Isaiah Norton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

brhoom
It would be nice if the current mailing-lists exported to a similar forum (there are many free open-sources forums available). Topics will be more organized e.g. in sub-forums, and the search will be much easier.

Best regards and have a nice day!
===================================
Ibraheem
=================================

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

There are searchable archives available on Nabble (also linked from here: https://www.slicer.org/wiki/Help)

http://slicer-users.65878.n3.nabble.com/

Note the "disable popups" button at the bottom...

On Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 7:17 AM, ibraheem aldhamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
It would be nice if the current mailing-lists exported to a similar forum (there are many free open-sources forums available). Topics will be more organized e.g. in sub-forums, and the search will be much easier.

Best regards and have a nice day!
===================================
Ibraheem
=================================

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

Rutvij Kotecha
Great job Isaiah. Thank you for forwarding like to Nabble.

@Team: BTW... I got a response from Jeff Atwood (founder to Stack Exchange).

He has started a new service like Stack Exchange called discourse. Check out : http://www.discourse.org/ .

Jeff has asked us to contact Jay: https://www.literatecomputing.com/ to import all the post to discourse.org .

I leave it to senior moderators to decide whether they would like to use Discourse. In my personal opinion, Nabble is great, but nothing beats interactive UI of Stackexcahnge or Discourse... My 2 cents! :)

Happy New Year and Happy Holidays!

Rutvij

chir.set@free.fr
Le vendredi 23 décembre 2016 03:01:32 CET Andrey Fedorov a écrit :
> stack overflow don't replace email list

1. The discussions are already exported to nabble, isn't it sufficient ?
2. It there are 200 committed users now, it might be less if we must go
downtown to see what's written on the wall, rather that opening a mail box.
3. From StackExchange to discourse.org... last minute changes... not very
pleasing.
4. There are no advertisement in current email list forum.
5. Reading web pages on a mobile phone is not as straight forward as reading
messages in an email client.

My 2c.

Happy new year !

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

Andras Lasso-2
I've played a bit with discource.org and checked StackExchange sites.

StackExchange doesn't seem to be the best fit:
* It would be ideal for replacing frequently-asked-questions, but would not be ideal for general-purpose discussion (sorting based on up/downvoting, etc.).
* Medical image computing community is quite small (probably not more than a few ten thousand people) and they already have their existing discussion forums, mailing lists, etc. It would be difficult to convince enough groups to pack up their contents and move to stack exchange.
* We wouldn't have much control over the data and infrastructure.

A modern forum, such as discourse.org, would be a nice upgrade over mailing list+nabble. Mailing lists doesn't seem to have any significant advantages over good forum engines (you can post new topics by email, get notification and respond in email), but forums can do much more, just a few examples:
* Structured discussion: Currently we have two rigidly separated categories (user/developer) and topic names are reverse-engineered from email subject lines (quite limited and fragile). On a forum, we could have much more refined categories (announcements, segmentation, registration, interventional, ...), tags, etc. so people could find much easier what they are interested in or all previous discussions related to a topic.
* Refined subscription: Currently we only have individual or digest mode. On discourse.org you can follow specific categories, topics, your name mentions, etc. so people who are not interested in reading all posts could still remain connected to the community.
* Login with github: no need to register yet another username to use Slicer infrastructure
* Better quality posts: there are several real-time checks performed when you are posting (minimum requirements for subject and content, easy to specify category, similar topics are automatically suggested, ...)

Fully hosted discourse.org is available at $100/month. The engine is open-source and can be self-hosted, too. I would support moving slicer-users/devel discussions there. Full archive of the two mailing lists could be moved there, too, so everything would be available at one place.

Le vendredi 23 décembre 2016 03:01:32 CET Andrey Fedorov a écrit :
> stack overflow don't replace email list

1. The discussions are already exported to nabble, isn't it sufficient ?
2. It there are 200 committed users now, it might be less if we must go downtown to see what's written on the wall, rather that opening a mail box.
3. From StackExchange to discourse.org... last minute changes... not very pleasing.
4. There are no advertisement in current email list forum.
5. Reading web pages on a mobile phone is not as straight forward as reading messages in an email client.

My 2c.

Happy new year !

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

brhoom
+1 for self hosted discource
Happy new year

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Le vendredi 23 décembre 2016 03:01:32 CET Andrey Fedorov a écrit :
> stack overflow don't replace email list

1. The discussions are already exported to nabble, isn't it sufficient ?
2. It there are 200 committed users now, it might be less if we must go downtown to see what's written on the wall, rather that opening a mail box.
3. From StackExchange to discourse.org... last minute changes... not very pleasing.
4. There are no advertisement in current email list forum.
5. Reading web pages on a mobile phone is not as straight forward as reading messages in an email client.

My 2c.

Happy new year !

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

I would support moving slicer-users/devel discussions there.

+1. I have used Discourse with another open source project, where we made a hard switch to Discourse from google groups-hosted mailing lists for the main community (user, dev) lists, plus several topical sub-project lists, with over 5k total subscribers.

It's only been about six weeks since the switch, but my impressions are:

* It is a major improvement over mailing lists: better search, conversation flow, formatting, quoting, highlighting, proper inline images, etc.
* For traditionalists, the mailing list mode is excellent -- best I've ever seen/used for a forum -- so people can still interact strictly via email if they want.
* It is fully open source (GPL) and offers DB dump; these features should satisfy continuity concerns.
* As you mentioned: users can subscribe to specific sub-topics (even email-only users). This works in concert with moderation...
* The moderation tools are good, and the "trust" system is well thought-out. The idea that new users have a "Trust Level", and Discourse can be configured to allow new user posts only in certain places at first. The moderation team can then bump good/topical questions into the appropriate area. This helps to scale the community to handle a wider range of conversation, from beginner to expert, while allowing experts to participate only at the level they choose. Hopefully this offsets the problem with many large lists where the noise level is so high that many people rarely read it at all -- which then leads to lack of useful responses -> lack of users -> lack of interesting questions -> lower SNR -> lack of users ....

Medical image computing community is quite small (probably not more than a few ten thousand people) and they already have their existing discussion forums, mailing lists, etc. It would be difficult to convince enough groups to pack up their contents and move to stack exchange.

Beyond just the Slicer lists, with the categorization and moderation features I think a single Discourse instance could easily handle consolidation of at least our community's (relatively) low-traffic lists. I think it is worth considering to move the mailing list/forums for: slicer-users/-dev, PLUS, OpenIGTLink, CTK, and maybe a few others. Hosting such a consolidated site and welcoming a range of beginner-to-expert discussion could drive visibility/adoption of software, and potentially get us free hosting (see below). I don't know of any such site in existence.

Fully hosted discourse.org is available at $100/month. The engine is open-source and can be self-hosted, too. I would support moving slicer-users/devel discussions there. Full archive of the two mailing lists could be moved there, too, so everything would be available at one place.

They do offer free hosting option for open source projects hosted on GitHub [1], however we don't quite qualify yet because we only have 200 "stars".

If we were willing to consolidate several community lists, perhaps they would consider giving free hosting (see  [2]). Unfortunately, since Jeff Atwood has already been contacted once, I think we should be diplomatic about this and try to increase our star count as high as possible before asking them for free hosting (if we do want/need that). Another reason to move to GitHub...

Isaiah

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 11:16 AM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Le vendredi 23 décembre 2016 03:01:32 CET Andrey Fedorov a écrit :
> stack overflow don't replace email list

1. The discussions are already exported to nabble, isn't it sufficient ?
2. It there are 200 committed users now, it might be less if we must go downtown to see what's written on the wall, rather that opening a mail box.
3. From StackExchange to discourse.org... last minute changes... not very pleasing.
4. There are no advertisement in current email list forum.
5. Reading web pages on a mobile phone is not as straight forward as reading messages in an email client.

My 2c.

Happy new year !

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

chir.set@free.fr
>you can post new topics by email, get notification and respond in email

It it's as simple as that, my concerns become irrelevant.
You know what's best for Slicer.

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

Steve Pieper-2
I took a look at discourse.org and I agree it looks quite useful for our needs.

Is anyone ready to start setting it up?  Or maybe we should discuss more (perhaps in person at project week?)

I suspect we don't want to host it ourselves.  I think we could find money for a paid account.  Or we could start a "please star us on github" campaign to get the free hosting.

-Steve

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:53 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>you can post new topics by email, get notification and respond in email

It it's as simple as that, my concerns become irrelevant.
You know what's best for Slicer.

Is anyone ready to start setting it up?  Or maybe we should discuss more (perhaps in person at project week?)

I suspect we don't want to host it ourselves.  I think we could find money for a paid account.  Or we could start a "please star us on github" campaign to get the free hosting.

-Steve

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:53 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>you can post new topics by email, get notification and respond in email

It it's as simple as that, my concerns become irrelevant.
You know what's best for Slicer.

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

Andras Lasso-2

I agree that ITK, VTK, etc. would greatly benefit from switching to discourse (I especially find ITK’s community, developer, and user lists very confusing), but it is mainly their decision. Slicer, ITK, VTK, MITK discussions are mostly complementary.

We can start small, migrating only Slicer. Later, when several medical image computing forums are already using discourse, we could decide about merging them.

Andras

Is anyone ready to start setting it up?  Or maybe we should discuss more (perhaps in person at project week?)

I suspect we don't want to host it ourselves.  I think we could find money for a paid account.  Or we could start a "please star us on github" campaign to get the free hosting.

-Steve

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:53 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

>you can post new topics by email, get notification and respond in email

It it's as simple as that, my concerns become irrelevant.
You know what's best for Slicer.

Is anyone ready to start setting it up?  Or maybe we should discuss more (perhaps in person at project week?)

I suspect we don't want to host it ourselves.  I think we could find money for a paid account.  Or we could start a "please star us on github" campaign to get the free hosting.

-Steve

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:53 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

>you can post new topics by email, get notification and respond in email

It it's as simple as that, my concerns become irrelevant.
You know what's best for Slicer.

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

Could Greg (Slicer wiki admin) clarify with discourse.org about how integration would work (domain name, common authentication options) and how much a suitable package would cost?

I guess ideally the forum would be available at discuss.slicer.org or community.slicer.org with some common authentication (github or any other method that would allow a single account to be used for all Slicer-related infrastructure).

Andras