Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

12

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

Steve Pieper-2
Adding Greg and Mike to the cc' list to get their thoughts...

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 9:45 AM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

Could Greg (Slicer wiki admin) clarify with discourse.org about how integration would work (domain name, common authentication options) and how much a suitable package would cost?

I guess ideally the forum would be available at discuss.slicer.org or community.slicer.org with some common authentication (github or any other method that would allow a single account to be used for all Slicer-related infrastructure).

Andras

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
Given that we don’t have dedicated staff to maintain this kind of infrastructure (Greg is contract work + maintenance, so any project supported by him is a line item for us), looking at the discourse.org hosted rate as a pricing guide makes sense no matter how we implement it.

Basic discourse.org hosting is $100/month.

At this point we don’t have any long-term grants to assure continuous funding for such a project.  If someone wants to write it into a grant, that would certainly give longer legs to the idea.

—Mike

On Jan 5, 2017, at 9:45 AM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

Could Greg (Slicer wiki admin) clarify with discourse.org about how integration would work (domain name, common authentication options) and how much a suitable package would cost?

I guess ideally the forum would be available at discuss.slicer.org or community.slicer.org with some common authentication (github or any other method that would allow a single account to be used for all Slicer-related infrastructure).

Andras
Is anyone ready to start setting it up?  Or maybe we should discuss more (perhaps in person at project week?)

I suspect we don't want to host it ourselves.  I think we could find money for a paid account.  Or we could start a "please star us on github" campaign to get the free hosting.

-Steve

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:53 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>you can post new topics by email, get notification and respond in email

It it's as simple as that, my concerns become irrelevant.
You know what's best for Slicer.

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

Andrey Fedorov-2
Note that basic plan does not include the migration option, and the
migration option in the advanced $200/mo plan does not explicitly
mention mailing list as a source.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Given that we don’t have dedicated staff to maintain this kind of
> infrastructure (Greg is contract work + maintenance, so any project
> supported by him is a line item for us), looking at the discourse.org hosted
> rate as a pricing guide makes sense no matter how we implement it.
>
> Basic discourse.org hosting is $100/month.
>
> At this point we don’t have any long-term grants to assure continuous
> funding for such a project.  If someone wants to write it into a grant, that
> would certainly give longer legs to the idea.
>
> —Mike
>

> On Jan 5, 2017, at 9:45 AM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Could Greg (Slicer wiki admin) clarify with discourse.org about how
> integration would work (domain name, common authentication options) and how
> much a suitable package would cost?
>
> I guess ideally the forum would be available at discuss.slicer.org or
> community.slicer.org with some common authentication (github or any other
> method that would allow a single account to be used for all Slicer-related
> infrastructure).
>
> Andras

Thread describing experience of someone migrating from a mailing list
- looks like a must read for whoever is going to do the migration!

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Andrey Fedorov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Note that basic plan does not include the migration option, and the
> migration option in the advanced $200/mo plan does not explicitly
> mention mailing list as a source.
>
> On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Given that we don’t have dedicated staff to maintain this kind of
>> infrastructure (Greg is contract work + maintenance, so any project
>> supported by him is a line item for us), looking at the discourse.org hosted
>> rate as a pricing guide makes sense no matter how we implement it.
>>
>> Basic discourse.org hosting is $100/month.
>>
>> At this point we don’t have any long-term grants to assure continuous
>> funding for such a project.  If someone wants to write it into a grant, that
>> would certainly give longer legs to the idea.
>>
>> —Mike
>>

>> On Jan 5, 2017, at 9:45 AM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Could Greg (Slicer wiki admin) clarify with discourse.org about how
>> integration would work (domain name, common authentication options) and how
>> much a suitable package would cost?
>>
>> I guess ideally the forum would be available at discuss.slicer.org or
>> community.slicer.org with some common authentication (github or any other
>> method that would allow a single account to be used for all Slicer-related
>> infrastructure).
>>
>> Andras

As a point of reference, I checked the admin stats for another community that uses Discourse. Over 30 days, it has about 30,000 total page views comprised of ~50% registered users and ~50% anonymous visits; the registered visits were from about 750 active users in that time.

Based on the above, the "standard" $100/month hosted package (https://payments.discourse.org/buy/) would be much more than enough. A small Digital Ocean instance for $12-24/month, including backup, would also be enough, with somewhat more maintenance than fully-hosted (but much less than running real boxes).

If the site becomes popular enough that one of those options is taxed at all,  at that point I think we could easily qualify for the free hosting.

Isaiah

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
Given that we don’t have dedicated staff to maintain this kind of infrastructure (Greg is contract work + maintenance, so any project supported by him is a line item for us), looking at the discourse.org hosted rate as a pricing guide makes sense no matter how we implement it.

Basic discourse.org hosting is $100/month.

At this point we don’t have any long-term grants to assure continuous funding for such a project.  If someone wants to write it into a grant, that would certainly give longer legs to the idea.

—Mike

On Jan 5, 2017, at 9:45 AM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

Could Greg (Slicer wiki admin) clarify with discourse.org about how integration would work (domain name, common authentication options) and how much a suitable package would cost?

I guess ideally the forum would be available at discuss.slicer.org or community.slicer.org with some common authentication (github or any other method that would allow a single account to be used for all Slicer-related infrastructure).

Andras
Is anyone ready to start setting it up?  Or maybe we should discuss more (perhaps in person at project week?)

I suspect we don't want to host it ourselves.  I think we could find money for a paid account.  Or we could start a "please star us on github" campaign to get the free hosting.

-Steve

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:53 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>you can post new topics by email, get notification and respond in email

It it's as simple as that, my concerns become irrelevant.
You know what's best for Slicer.

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
If we go this route, migration would be a major point of discussion. It is by definition a one-off, imperfect, and not fully automatic process. The other option

We should weigh the cost and value of it, especially before we as a community  have committed to conversion rather than evaluation.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Given that we don’t have dedicated staff to maintain this kind of
> infrastructure (Greg is contract work + maintenance, so any project
> supported by him is a line item for us), looking at the discourse.org hosted
> rate as a pricing guide makes sense no matter how we implement it.
>
> Basic discourse.org hosting is $100/month.
>
> At this point we don’t have any long-term grants to assure continuous
> funding for such a project.  If someone wants to write it into a grant, that
> would certainly give longer legs to the idea.
>
> —Mike
>

> On Jan 5, 2017, at 9:45 AM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Could Greg (Slicer wiki admin) clarify with discourse.org about how
> integration would work (domain name, common authentication options) and how
> much a suitable package would cost?
>
> I guess ideally the forum would be available at discuss.slicer.org or
> community.slicer.org with some common authentication (github or any other
> method that would allow a single account to be used for all Slicer-related
> infrastructure).
>
> Andras

[Continued...]
If we go this route, migration would be a major point of discussion. It is by definition a one-off, imperfect, and not fully automatic process. The other option is to just transition to discourse without migration.

We should weigh the cost and value of it, especially before we as a community  have committed to conversion rather than evaluation.

-Mike

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Given that we don’t have dedicated staff to maintain this kind of
> infrastructure (Greg is contract work + maintenance, so any project
> supported by him is a line item for us), looking at the discourse.org hosted
> rate as a pricing guide makes sense no matter how we implement it.
>
> Basic discourse.org hosting is $100/month.
>
> At this point we don’t have any long-term grants to assure continuous
> funding for such a project.  If someone wants to write it into a grant, that
> would certainly give longer legs to the idea.
>
> —Mike
>

> On Jan 5, 2017, at 9:45 AM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Could Greg (Slicer wiki admin) clarify with discourse.org about how
> integration would work (domain name, common authentication options) and how
> much a suitable package would cost?
>
> I guess ideally the forum would be available at discuss.slicer.org or
> community.slicer.org with some common authentication (github or any other
> method that would allow a single account to be used for all Slicer-related
> infrastructure).
>
> Andras

FWIW, I don't think this consideration should hold up such a move, or add complication/effort/cost that makes the move less likely due to significantly increasing the activation energy (ref: GitHub move...). If we find we are *really* missing out, it could also be done at a later time. A large fraction of content is transient (outages, etc.) or outdated, and the Nabble archive can still be searchable/linkable.

(I've also seen it attempted, and the result was really ugly -- so ugly and disconnected that it was abandoned and site was restarted clean. Mailing list formatting is nearly impossible to parse properly, between top/bottom posting, HTML vs txt, attachments, disconnected users, etc.)

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Given that we don’t have dedicated staff to maintain this kind of
> infrastructure (Greg is contract work + maintenance, so any project
> supported by him is a line item for us), looking at the discourse.org hosted
> rate as a pricing guide makes sense no matter how we implement it.
>
> Basic discourse.org hosting is $100/month.
>
> At this point we don’t have any long-term grants to assure continuous
> funding for such a project.  If someone wants to write it into a grant, that
> would certainly give longer legs to the idea.
>
> —Mike

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

Andrey Fedorov-2
Isaiah, I completely agree. I just somehow had the impression that
migration was part of the plan.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Isaiah Norton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Andrey Fedorov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Note that basic plan does not include the migration option, and the
>> migration option in the advanced $200/mo plan does not explicitly
>> mention mailing list as a source.
>

> FWIW, I don't think this consideration should hold up such a move, or add
> complication/effort/cost that makes the move less likely due to
> significantly increasing the activation energy (ref: GitHub move...). If we
> find we are *really* missing out, it could also be done at a later time. A
> large fraction of content is transient (outages, etc.) or outdated, and the
> Nabble archive can still be searchable/linkable.
>
> (I've also seen it attempted, and the result was really ugly -- so ugly and
> disconnected that it was abandoned and site was restarted clean. Mailing
> list formatting is nearly impossible to parse properly, between top/bottom
> posting, HTML vs txt, attachments, disconnected users, etc.)
>
>> On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Given that we don’t have dedicated staff to maintain this kind of
>> > infrastructure (Greg is contract work + maintenance, so any project
>> > supported by him is a line item for us), looking at the discourse.org
>> > hosted
>> > rate as a pricing guide makes sense no matter how we implement it.
>> >
>> > Basic discourse.org hosting is $100/month.
>> >
>> > At this point we don’t have any long-term grants to assure continuous
>> > funding for such a project.  If someone wants to write it into a grant,
>> > that
>> > would certainly give longer legs to the idea.
>> >
>> > —Mike

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

I agree with not migrating old content. First it sounded trivial for me that we would migrate all old posts, but starting from scratch would have several advantages:

·         We would keep the new forum clean and structured (mailing list posts would not be categorized, would be formatted randomly, would be difficult to read due to signatures, quotations, etc.)

·         We would get rid of lots of duplicate questions and obsolete information that has been accumulated in the past 15 years (people could still search mailing list archives to find relevant answers there and copy-paste verified contents to the forum)

·         We would not need to spend time with content migration, content verification, cleanup, etc.

I would still migrate the users though, to make the transition smooth.

$100/month cost is negligible compared to other labor and infrastructure costs that is spent on Slicer every month. I think mostly SPL has been paying for Slicer’s IT infrastructure, but if paying for discourse would be problematic for any reason then I’m sure there are several other groups who would be happy to contribute (including our PerkLab).

Andras

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Given that we don’t have dedicated staff to maintain this kind of
> infrastructure (Greg is contract work + maintenance, so any project
> supported by him is a line item for us), looking at the discourse.org hosted
> rate as a pricing guide makes sense no matter how we implement it.
>
> Basic discourse.org hosting is $100/month.
>
> At this point we don’t have any long-term grants to assure continuous
> funding for such a project.  If someone wants to write it into a grant, that
> would certainly give longer legs to the idea.
>
> —Mike

Re: Starting Q&A Community on StackExchange

Andrey Fedorov-2
Andras,

I completely agree with all your points on not migrating the old
content, on using external hosting, and on your assessment of the
costs. As long as the content is not "locked in" within the platform,
I think advantages are tremendous in comparison with the risks.

Given this expense is allowable, I am willing to contribute to
supporting this from the QIICR budget as well. Going forward, if this
experiment is successful, we should explicitly budget for this expense
while planning Slicer-related grant submissions.

What bothers me is that very few people (on the relative scale)
contributed to this discussion so far, and we have not heard from Ron.

I suggest we create a project for the NA-MIC Project week to raise the
visibility of this discussion and get more opinions. I would also like
to discuss the use of gitter community as a potential communication
mechanism to augment forum and/or to support other sub-communities
(such as NA-MIC project week community).

AF

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 12:44 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with not migrating old content. First it sounded trivial for me that
> we would migrate all old posts, but starting from scratch would have several
> advantages:
>
> ·         We would keep the new forum clean and structured (mailing list
> posts would not be categorized, would be formatted randomly, would be
> difficult to read due to signatures, quotations, etc.)
>
> ·         We would get rid of lots of duplicate questions and obsolete
> information that has been accumulated in the past 15 years (people could
> still search mailing list archives to find relevant answers there and
> copy-paste verified contents to the forum)
>
> ·         We would not need to spend time with content migration, content
> verification, cleanup, etc.
>

> I would still migrate the users though, to make the transition smooth.
>

> $100/month cost is negligible compared to other labor and infrastructure
> costs that is spent on Slicer every month. I think mostly SPL has been
> paying for Slicer’s IT infrastructure, but if paying for discourse would be
> problematic for any reason then I’m sure there are several other groups who
> would be happy to contribute (including our PerkLab).
>

> Andras

And just to be clear, the cost isn't a huge issue at this moment. However, with the NAC grant cycle coming up now and the shape, size, and certainty of a renewal up for grabs, we can't count on the existing funding sources to continue.

We appreciate the offers of those willing to step up to the plate.

-Mike

I completely agree with all your points on not migrating the old
content, on using external hosting, and on your assessment of the
costs. As long as the content is not "locked in" within the platform,
I think advantages are tremendous in comparison with the risks.

Given this expense is allowable, I am willing to contribute to
supporting this from the QIICR budget as well. Going forward, if this
experiment is successful, we should explicitly budget for this expense
while planning Slicer-related grant submissions.

What bothers me is that very few people (on the relative scale)
contributed to this discussion so far, and we have not heard from Ron.

I suggest we create a project for the NA-MIC Project week to raise the
visibility of this discussion and get more opinions. I would also like
to discuss the use of gitter community as a potential communication
mechanism to augment forum and/or to support other sub-communities
(such as NA-MIC project week community).

AF

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 12:44 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I agree with not migrating old content. First it sounded trivial for me that
> we would migrate all old posts, but starting from scratch would have several
> advantages:
>
> ·         We would keep the new forum clean and structured (mailing list
> posts would not be categorized, would be formatted randomly, would be
> difficult to read due to signatures, quotations, etc.)
>
> ·         We would get rid of lots of duplicate questions and obsolete
> information that has been accumulated in the past 15 years (people could
> still search mailing list archives to find relevant answers there and
> copy-paste verified contents to the forum)
>
> ·         We would not need to spend time with content migration, content
> verification, cleanup, etc.
>

> I would still migrate the users though, to make the transition smooth.
>

> $100/month cost is negligible compared to other labor and infrastructure
> costs that is spent on Slicer every month. I think mostly SPL has been
> paying for Slicer’s IT infrastructure, but if paying for discourse would be
> problematic for any reason then I’m sure there are several other groups who
> would be happy to contribute (including our PerkLab).
>

> Andras

I agree. At the project week we should have a breakout session about how decisions like this should be made. Earlier, when there was one big center grant, things were simpler. Now Slicer-related activities are funded from different sources, so it is not clear what is the best way of making decisions in a fair yet effective way.

I completely agree with all your points on not migrating the old content, on using external hosting, and on your assessment of the costs. As long as the content is not "locked in" within the platform, I think advantages are tremendous in comparison with the risks.

Given this expense is allowable, I am willing to contribute to supporting this from the QIICR budget as well. Going forward, if this experiment is successful, we should explicitly budget for this expense while planning Slicer-related grant submissions.

What bothers me is that very few people (on the relative scale) contributed to this discussion so far, and we have not heard from Ron.

I suggest we create a project for the NA-MIC Project week to raise the visibility of this discussion and get more opinions. I would also like to discuss the use of gitter community as a potential communication mechanism to augment forum and/or to support other sub-communities (such as NA-MIC project week community).

AF

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 12:44 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with not migrating old content. First it sounded trivial for
> me that we would migrate all old posts, but starting from scratch
> would have several
> advantages:
>
> ·         We would keep the new forum clean and structured (mailing list
> posts would not be categorized, would be formatted randomly, would be
> difficult to read due to signatures, quotations, etc.)
>
> ·         We would get rid of lots of duplicate questions and obsolete
> information that has been accumulated in the past 15 years (people
> could still search mailing list archives to find relevant answers
> there and copy-paste verified contents to the forum)
>
> ·         We would not need to spend time with content migration, content
> verification, cleanup, etc.
>

> I would still migrate the users though, to make the transition smooth.
>

> $100/month cost is negligible compared to other labor and
> infrastructure costs that is spent on Slicer every month. I think
> mostly SPL has been paying for Slicer’s IT infrastructure, but if
> paying for discourse would be problematic for any reason then I’m sure
> there are several other groups who would be happy to contribute (including our PerkLab).
>

> Andras

I will set up a trial instance so we have something concrete to look at. I think I still have Digital Ocean credit, otherwise will use their 14-day trial. (backup/migration is simple, so we don't lose anything by trying: https://meta.discourse.org/t/move-your-discourse-instance-to-a-different-server/15721)

Best,
Isaiah

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What bothers me is that very few people (on the relative scale) contributed to this discussion so far, and we have not heard from Ron.

I agree. At the project week we should have a breakout session about how decisions like this should be made. Earlier, when there was one big center grant, things were simpler. Now Slicer-related activities are funded from different sources, so it is not clear what is the best way of making decisions in a fair yet effective way.

I completely agree with all your points on not migrating the old content, on using external hosting, and on your assessment of the costs. As long as the content is not "locked in" within the platform, I think advantages are tremendous in comparison with the risks.

Given this expense is allowable, I am willing to contribute to supporting this from the QIICR budget as well. Going forward, if this experiment is successful, we should explicitly budget for this expense while planning Slicer-related grant submissions.

What bothers me is that very few people (on the relative scale) contributed to this discussion so far, and we have not heard from Ron.

I suggest we create a project for the NA-MIC Project week to raise the visibility of this discussion and get more opinions. I would also like to discuss the use of gitter community as a potential communication mechanism to augment forum and/or to support other sub-communities (such as NA-MIC project week community).

AF

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 12:44 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I agree with not migrating old content. First it sounded trivial for
> me that we would migrate all old posts, but starting from scratch
> would have several
> advantages:
>
> ·         We would keep the new forum clean and structured (mailing list
> posts would not be categorized, would be formatted randomly, would be
> difficult to read due to signatures, quotations, etc.)
>
> ·         We would get rid of lots of duplicate questions and obsolete
> information that has been accumulated in the past 15 years (people
> could still search mailing list archives to find relevant answers
> there and copy-paste verified contents to the forum)
>
> ·         We would not need to spend time with content migration, content
> verification, cleanup, etc.
>

> I would still migrate the users though, to make the transition smooth.
>

> $100/month cost is negligible compared to other labor and
> infrastructure costs that is spent on Slicer every month. I think
> mostly SPL has been paying for Slicer’s IT infrastructure, but if
> paying for discourse would be problematic for any reason then I’m sure
> there are several other groups who would be happy to contribute (including our PerkLab).
>

> Andras

Rutvij Kotecha
Hi everyone,

Software development is not my forte, but I just wanted to reiterate what I had mentioned in earlier email. Not sure if it helps.

Jeff Atwood (founder to Stack Exchange) said that we can contact Jay: https://www.literatecomputing.com/ to get help with importing all the post to discourse.org . May be he might be able to guide us on how to migrate from Discoure to any other server.

Hope that helps. :)

Rutvij

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Isaiah Norton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> difficult to read due to signatures, quotations, etc.)
>
> ·         We would get rid of lots of duplicate questions and obsolete
> information that has been accumulated in the past 15 years (people
> could still search mailing list archives to find relevant answers
> there and copy-paste verified contents to the forum)
>
> ·         We would not need to spend time with content migration, content
> verification, cleanup, etc.
>

> I would still migrate the users though, to make the transition smooth.
>

> $100/month cost is negligible compared to other labor and
> infrastructure costs that is spent on Slicer every month. I think
> mostly SPL has been paying for Slicer’s IT infrastructure, but if
> paying for discourse would be problematic for any reason then I’m sure
> there are several other groups who would be happy to contribute (including our PerkLab).

I went through the process: install via Docker is trivial, as is GitHub integration config.

Several other pieces are required for a fully functioning site: sub-domain config, and for self-hosting additionally an SSL certificate and SMTP provider. I've added on the project page for discussion. The options there depend on slicer.org domain ownership/hosting/config.

12