Use of Slicer through VNC

Luca Clemente
Dear Sirs,
    we are a software company working in the medical field using Linux as a OS to develop our programs.
We had the problem of viewing and managing 3D objects and Slicer3 is the right tools to do it and we are very happy to have choosen it.
But we have the following problem: we are using our system on a network with PC connected to it with different OS installed on them (many times Windows) so to use our procedure we use for it VNC or sometimes the Xming X-Server. In both of the cases even if we are able to open and use Slicer3 in the Client connected with RDP the quality of the image on the screen (I mean colors as weel definition) are not the same if we use Slicer3 directly on the Linux Server.
Do you have any explanation for this or may be suggest us a possible solution to avoid this problem?
Thank you in advance to everybody will take care of our request
Luca Clemente

Dr. Clemente Luca - T.I.M. Srl
Via Ilaria Alpi, 3 int. 4 I-33082 Azzano Decimo (PN) - Italia
Tel +39-0434-621900
Fax +39-0434-423854
HTTP: www.zerobase.it
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Use of Slicer through VNC

Paolo Zaffino
Have you tried to use ssh and X forwarding?
On GNU/Linux and Mac OS works out of the box, on Microsoft OS you could use Putty and Xming X-Server.
It's only a my idea...I have never tried it on Windows.
Is the network linked by internet?

Il 11/08/2010 16:12, Luca Clemente wrote:
[...]

_______________________________________________ slicer-users mailing list [hidden email] http://massmail.spl.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/slicer-users To unsubscribe: send email to [hidden email] with unsubscribe as the subject

Re: Use of Slicer through VNC

Isaiah Norton
Luca,

Slicer is available for - and runs well on - Windows; if you haven't tried that yet, please do. The Slicer build system is cross platform so any development should be portable between systems.

I have used VNC and cygwin X server for remote viewing of Slicer. With VNC I've seen similar issues; setting the color depth the same as host may improve things, but it could still look different because rdp is essentially pushing jpegs of the screen and this is not really designed for proof-quality consistency. X server should provide more consistent color quality and considerably better performance with a good network, but neither solution will give native render speeds. The reason is that even a gigabit network connection has magnitudes slower throughput than the local bus, so there is no way to efficiently push all of the render data. For 2d and light 3d viewing this may be fine, but for more complex 3d scenes and volume rendering I don't know of any way around this network bottleneck.

To run linux on existing windows machines there are some virtualization options which might be useful. Parallels is available for mac (version 5) or windows (version 4); it supports opengl, and is reported to give only 2-3% performance penalty vs. native. VirtualBox and VMware are two other solutions - reportedly slightly slower than parallels - and each with own +/-. They all support the Intel VT extensions on capable processors which may (or not) improve speed depending on the setup. Of course, there are lots of detailed comparisons and benchmarks available online. VirtualBox is the only one I've used, simply because it's free. I've run Slicer on linux/virtualbox/linux and linux/virtualbox/mac, and the performance is pretty good - certainly better than network display.

Hope this helps,

-Isaiah

On 08/11/2010 10:12 AM, Luca Clemente wrote:
[...]

swallace
Hi Luca,

I dont have any advice re: VNC, but wanted to add to what Isaiah said
about virtual machines.

I use VMWare Fusion, and have nothing but good things to say about it. It
will cost you (about $80), but it has worked flawlessly on my mac for all
Slicer supported OS's. I haven't ran into any speed issues, aside from the
expected slowing down due to running multiple virtual machines all at
once.

Installation of the other OS's (for me, ubuntu32 and 64, Win7 and XP) was
very easy, and fairly hands off.

Hope that helps--

Stuart

> [...]
>> network with PC connected to it with different OS installed on them
>> (many times Windows) so to use our procedure we use for it VNC or
>> sometimes the Xming X-Server. In both of the cases even if we are able
>> to open and use Slicer3 in the Client connected with RDP the quality
>> of the image on the screen (I mean colors as weel definition) are not
>> the same if we use Slicer3 directly on the Linux Server.
>> Do you have any explanation for this or may be suggest us a possible
>> solution to avoid this problem?
>> Thank you in advance to everybody will take care of our request
>> Luca Clemente
>> Dr. Clemente Luca - T.I.M. Srl
>> Via Ilaria Alpi, 3 int. 4 I-33082 Azzano Decimo (PN) - Italia
>> Tel +39-0434-621900
>> Fax +39-0434-423854
>> HTTP: www.zerobase.it <http://www.zerobase.it>
>> e-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Use of Slicer through VNC

Luca Clemente
Yes I have tried VNC as well as Xming X-Server,  and in the second case (I have to correct my previous e-mail ..) the Slicer program starts, but crashes immediatley as soon as it starts to show the windows containing the image to open. I underline that I have tried to use Slicer with a single dicom image in order to not overload the network an the progra,m speed but the quality of the image is really ppor (in VNC) while crashes with Xming.
The network is not trough Internet, but is a local one with 1GB connection.
Thank you for your suggestions.
Luca

Re: Use of Slicer through VNC

Hi Luca -

I've used vnc for remote access to linux machines - I've found that
using Xvfb (X virtual frame buffer) and x11vnc tunneled through ssh
works quite well.  The color quality is adjustable via command line
options - I typically use 16bits per pixel as a nice compromise.

There are some notes here:

http://www.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/User:Pieper