Volume rendering fluidity and allocated memory

Volume rendering fluidity and allocated memory

chir.set@free.fr
Hello,

I just want to report an unexpected behavior with Volume Rendering models.

I am using a new video adapter with 8GB RAM. If I select up to 4 GB in
Settings/Volume Rendering, a 3D model can be moved around and zoomed quite
fluidly, though a signification pixel/voxel effect happens if I stop a rotation
without releasing the mouse.

Allocating 6GB and above to Volume Rendering results in very slow rotation/
zooming reactivity. There's about 1 sec to wait after releasing the mouse
button. Nothing happens before the button is released. No pixel/voxel effect
is seen. Capturing a video with the Screen Capture module is very slow also.

I can't know if it's Slicer or the driver in cause (amdgpu.pro on Linux).

In case Slicer can take into account the newly added greater than 4GB memory
allocation.

Regards.

Re: Volume rendering fluidity and allocated memory

chir.set@free.fr

Re: Volume rendering fluidity and allocated memory

chir.set@free.fr
>What is the model and version information for your GPU, driver, and OS?

Sorry for the previous blank message.

The card : XFX RX-480P8LFB6
Driver : amdgpu-pro 16.30.3.315407
OS : Archlinux with kernel 4.8.4

It 's an AMD Radeon RX-480 Polaris10 (Ellesmere) card.

Re: Volume rendering fluidity and allocated memory

inorton
Allocating 6GB and above to Volume Rendering results in very slow rotation/
zooming reactivity.

How are you allocating >= 6GB? The Volume Rendering module selector only allows 4GB max. If you forced a higher number than this (with Python?), then I believe the logic in [1] is defaulting to 128MB, which may be the reason it is slow.

In fact, the logic in [1] seems to be imposing a hard cap of 2GB VRAM, even when 3-4GB is requested. (this may be vestigial from older versions of VTK where IDs were int32 by default?)

Please file an issue at: http://www.na-mic.org/Bug

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 2:39 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>What is the model and version information for your GPU, driver, and OS?

Sorry for the previous blank message.

The card : XFX RX-480P8LFB6
Driver : amdgpu-pro <a href="tel:16.30.3.315407" value="&#43;16303315407">16.30.3.315407
OS : Archlinux with kernel 4.8.4

It 's an AMD Radeon RX-480 Polaris10 (Ellesmere) card.

Re: Volume rendering fluidity and allocated memory

Please file an issue at: http://www.na-mic.org/Bug

Actually, I went ahead and filed an issue, so please check below for this to be fixed in the future:

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 3:52 PM, Isaiah Norton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Allocating 6GB and above to Volume Rendering results in very slow rotation/
zooming reactivity.

How are you allocating >= 6GB? The Volume Rendering module selector only allows 4GB max. If you forced a higher number than this (with Python?), then I believe the logic in [1] is defaulting to 128MB, which may be the reason it is slow.

In fact, the logic in [1] seems to be imposing a hard cap of 2GB VRAM, even when 3-4GB is requested. (this may be vestigial from older versions of VTK where IDs were int32 by default?)

Please file an issue at: http://www.na-mic.org/Bug

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 2:39 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>What is the model and version information for your GPU, driver, and OS?

Sorry for the previous blank message.

The card : XFX RX-480P8LFB6
Driver : amdgpu-pro <a href="tel:16.30.3.315407" value="&#43;16303315407" target="_blank"> 16.30.3.315407
OS : Archlinux with kernel 4.8.4

It 's an AMD Radeon RX-480 Polaris10 (Ellesmere) card.

Re: Volume rendering fluidity and allocated memory

chir.set@free.fr
>Steve pointed out in the issue that the GUI was recently updated, my local build was out-of-date. So now I understand the selection of 8GB. Hopefully the logic will be updated in a few days.

Thanks, I 'll follow that issue. Your comments explain the perceived performance drop.