Vtk to stl convertion

Gonzalo Rojas Costa

Hi:

How can i convert a model in vtk to stl format ?...  And from vtk to vrml ?...

Sincerely

Gonzalo Rojas Costa

Re: Vtk to stl convertion

Brian P. Kraatz
Hello Gonzalo --

I just dealt with a similar issue. The only fix I could come up with was to export the .vtk from Slicer, then load that into the freeware, Paraviewer.

Paraviewer will export as .vrml.

If anyone else is interested, once in Paraviewer, you can export a .x3d file. Once you have that file, you can upload into MeshLab, another freeware that will allow you to export as an .stl file (or .ply). Be sure to export the .stl as a ascII file, not a binary (uncheck the binary box), because I had some problems with a binary .ply (and .stl).

The problem seems to be that not much deals with VTK other than Paraviewer, and Paraviewer uses uncommon meshes too (.x3d).

Good luck.

On Jan 26, 2012, at 8:27 AM, Gonzalo Rojas Costa wrote:

Hi:

How can i convert a model in vtk to stl format ?...  And from vtk to vrml ?...

Sincerely

Gonzalo Rojas Costa

Re: Vtk to stl convertion

Daniel Haehn
.stl export is easy: just do File->Save and switch the output format
for the model to .stl

Cheers,
Daniel

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Gonzalo Rojas Costa
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> How can i convert a model in vtk to stl format ?...  And from vtk to vrml
> ?...
>
> Sincerely
>
> Gonzalo Rojas Costa

Re: Vtk to stl convertion

Gonzalo Rojas Costa
Hi Daniel:

  In my case I only got to formats: vtk or vtp... I tested in Slicer
3.6 and 4.1 in Ubuntu...

  Sincerely,

Gonzalo Rojas Costa

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Daniel Haehn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> .stl export is easy: just do File->Save and switch the output format
> for the model to .stl
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
>
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Gonzalo Rojas Costa
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> How can i convert a model in vtk to stl format ?...  And from vtk to vrml
>> ?...
>>
>> Sincerely
>>
>> Gonzalo Rojas Costa

Re: Vtk to stl convertion

Steve Pieper
Hi Gonzalo -

Daniel's referring to the options in the save dialog like in the attached image - does STL not show up in that list for you?

-Steve

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Gonzalo Rojas Costa <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Daniel:

 In my case I only got to formats: vtk or vtp... I tested in Slicer
3.6 and 4.1 in Ubuntu...

 Sincerely,

Gonzalo Rojas Costa

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Daniel Haehn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> .stl export is easy: just do File->Save and switch the output format
> for the model to .stl
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
>
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Gonzalo Rojas Costa
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> How can i convert a model in vtk to stl format ?...  And from vtk to vrml
>> ?...
>>
>> Sincerely
>>
>> Gonzalo Rojas Costa

Screen Shot 2012-01-27 at 7.23.10 AM.png (329K) Download Attachment

Re: Vtk to stl convertion

Gonzalo Rojas Costa
Hi Steve:

 Yes... I only got vtk and vtp (as you see in the screen I send you
attached)... I tested in Windows 7 (Slicer 4.1) and Ubuntu with Slicer
3.6 and 4.1...

 Sincerely,

Gonzalo Rojas Costa

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Gonzalo -
>
> Daniel's referring to the options in the save dialog like in the attached
> image - does STL not show up in that list for you?
>
> -Steve
>

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Gonzalo Rojas Costa
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Daniel:
>>
>>  In my case I only got to formats: vtk or vtp... I tested in Slicer
>> 3.6 and 4.1 in Ubuntu...
>>
>>  Sincerely,
>>

>> Gonzalo Rojas Costa
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Daniel Haehn <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > .stl export is easy: just do File->Save and switch the output format
>> > for the model to .stl
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Daniel

>> subject

hola.png (346K) Download Attachment

Re: Vtk to stl convertion

Magnotta, Vincent A
On my version of Slicer 3.6.1 I get options to save surface (models) in 3
formats including STL. This works both under Linux and the Mac. I don't
have a windows machine available for testing.

Vince

--
Associate Professor
Department of Radiology

On 1/27/12 10:56 AM, "Gonzalo Rojas Costa" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Hi Steve:
>
> Yes... I only got vtk and vtp (as you see in the screen I send you
>attached)... I tested in Windows 7 (Slicer 4.1) and Ubuntu with Slicer
>3.6 and 4.1...
>
> Sincerely,
>

>Gonzalo Rojas Costa
>

>On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Gonzalo -
>>
>> Daniel's referring to the options in the save dialog like in the
>>attached
>> image - does STL not show up in that list for you?
>>
>> -Steve
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Gonzalo Rojas Costa
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Daniel:
>>>
>>>  In my case I only got to formats: vtk or vtp... I tested in Slicer
>>> 3.6 and 4.1 in Ubuntu...
>>>
>>>  Sincerely,
>>>

>>> Gonzalo Rojas Costa

>>> subject

>subject

________________________________
Notice: This UI Health Care e-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is confidential and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error, then delete it.  Thank you.

Re: Vtk to stl convertion

Julien Finet
My guess is that it's because the model is a freesurfer model, and its storage node doesn't support stl:
see: vtkMRMLFreeSurferModelStorageNode::InitializeSupportedWriteFileTypes

Nicole, do you know what is the motivation behind a special storage node ?

Julien.

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Magnotta, Vincent A <[hidden email]> wrote:
On my version of Slicer 3.6.1 I get options to save surface (models) in 3
formats including STL. This works both under Linux and the Mac. I don't
have a windows machine available for testing.

Vince

--
Associate Professor
Department of Radiology
0453-D JCP
200 Hawkins Drive
Iowa City, IA 52242
E-mail: [hidden email]
Phone: <a href="tel:319-356-8255" value="+13193568255">319-356-8255 Fax: <a href="tel:319-353-6275" value="+13193536275">319-353-6275

________________________________
Notice: This UI Health Care e-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is confidential and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the sender that you have received the message in error, then delete it.  Thank you.

Re: Vtk to stl convertion

Aucoin, Nicole
It needs a special storage node to read the Freesurfer format, write
support was minimal due to the closed source constraints and it hadn't
become necessary to support writing out anything other than vtk.

Gonzalo: the work around is to save your model into .vtk format, reload
that file and then you'll get the .stl save option.

Nicole

On 01/27/2012 12:31 PM, Julien Finet wrote:

> [...]
>     >>>  Sincerely,
>     >>>
>     >>>
>     >>> Gonzalo Rojas Costa
>     >>>
>     >>>
>     >>> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Daniel Haehn
>     >>> wrote:
>     >>> > .stl export is easy: just do File->Save and switch the
>     output format
>     >>> > for the model to .stl
>     >>> >
>     >>> > Cheers,
>     >>> > Daniel
>     >>> >
>     >>> > On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Gonzalo Rojas Costa
>     >>> > <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     >>> >> Hi:
>     >>> >>
>     >>> >> How can i convert a model in vtk to stl format ?...  And

Re: Vtk to stl convertion

Julien Finet
Hi Gonzalo,

I just pushed a fix (r19142) that adds STL support when saving FreeSurfer model nodes.
It will be available in the next (unstable) nightly builds: http://download.slicer.org

Thanks for reporting the issue, let us know if you still encounter the problem. Meanwhile, you can do as Nicole suggest (save as vtk file, reload as model and save as stl).

Julien.

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Magnotta, Vincent A <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

   On my version of Slicer 3.6.1 I get options to save surface
   (models) in 3
   formats including STL. This works both under Linux and the Mac. I
   don't
   have a windows machine available for testing.

   Vince

   --
   Associate Professor
   Department of Radiology
   0453-D JCP
   200 Hawkins Drive
   Iowa City, IA 52242
   E-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
   Phone: <a href="tel:319-356-8255" value="+13193568255" target="_blank">319-356-8255 <tel:<a href="tel:319-356-8255" value="+13193568255" target="_blank">319-356-8255> Fax: <a href="tel:319-353-6275" value="+13193536275" target="_blank">319-353-6275
   <tel:<a href="tel:319-353-6275" value="+13193536275" target="_blank">319-353-6275>

   <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> [...]

Re: Vtk to stl convertion

Gonzalo Rojas Costa
Hi Julien:

   Ok... thanks you very much... I will test the next nighlty build...
But, I couldn't save in STL format some models I created using 3D Slicer
saved in VTK... For example, F8.vtk that appeared in ths screen that I
sent you in a previous e-mail...

   Sincerely,

Gonzalo Rojas Costa

--
Gonzalo Rojas Costa
Laboratory for Advanced Medical Image Processing

Re: Vtk to stl convertion

Steve Pieper
Hi Gonzalo -

Can you describe how you created the F8.vtk model?  I'm not clear on why it's behaving differently from what I see.

For instance, if you try the following steps are you able to save in .stl format:
- download the MR Head data using the Sample Data module
- go into the editor
- select paint or draw and make some small segmentation
- pick the Model Maker and build the model
- use File->Save
this should get you to the point in my screen shot sent earlier.  I'm just curious what steps led to the point in your screenshot.

Thanks for your help debugging this,
Steve

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

   It needs a special storage node to read the Freesurfer format, write
   support was minimal due to the closed source constraints and it
   hadn't become necessary to support writing out anything other than vtk.

   Gonzalo: the work around is to save your model into .vtk format,
   reload that file and then you'll get the .stl save option.

   Nicole

   On 01/27/2012 12:31 PM, Julien Finet wrote:

       My guess is that it's because the model is a freesurfer model,
       and its storage node doesn't support stl:
       see:
       vtkMRMLFreeSurferModelStorageN__ode::__InitializeSupportedWriteFileTy__pes

       Nicole, do you know what is the motivation behind a special
       storage node ?

       Julien.

       On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Magnotta, Vincent A
       <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
       <mailto:[hidden email]__uiowa.edu

       <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:

           On my version of Slicer 3.6.1 I get options to save surface
           (models) in 3
           formats including STL. This works both under Linux and the
       Mac. I
           don't
           have a windows machine available for testing.

           Vince

           --
           Associate Professor
           Department of Radiology
           0453-D JCP
           200 Hawkins Drive
           Iowa City, IA 52242
           E-mail: [hidden email]
       <mailto:[hidden email]>
       <mailto:[hidden email]__uiowa.edu
       <mailto:[hidden email]>>
           Phone: <a href="tel:319-356-8255" value="+13193568255" target="_blank">319-356-8255 <tel:<a href="tel:319-356-8255" value="+13193568255" target="_blank">319-356-8255> <tel:<a href="tel:319-356-8255" value="+13193568255" target="_blank">319-356-8255

       <tel:<a href="tel:319-356-8255" value="+13193568255" target="_blank">319-356-8255>> Fax: <a href="tel:319-353-6275" value="+13193536275" target="_blank">319-353-6275 <tel:<a href="tel:319-353-6275" value="+13193536275" target="_blank">319-353-6275>
       <tel:<a href="tel:319-353-6275" value="+13193536275" target="_blank">319-353-6275 <tel:<a href="tel:319-353-6275" value="+13193536275" target="_blank">319-353-6275>>

           Website: http://www.healthcare.uiowa.__edu/Radiology

       <http://www.healthcare.uiowa.edu/Radiology>

           On 1/27/12 10:56 AM, "Gonzalo Rojas Costa"
       <[hidden email]
       <mailto:[hidden email]>
       <mailto:[hidden email]__gmail.com

       <mailto:[hidden email]>>>

--
Gonzalo Rojas Costa
Laboratory for Advanced Medical Image Processing
Department of Radiology
Las Condes Clinic
Lo Fontecilla 441, Las Condes, Santiago, Chile.
Tel: <a href="tel:56-2-2105170" value="+15622105170" target="_blank">56-2-2105170
Cel: 56-9-97771785
www.clc.cl

Re: Vtk to stl convertion

Gonzalo Rojas Costa
Hi Steve:

   I tested an idea... I loaded the F8.vtk and lh_pial.vtk using
File-->Add Data  in a new Scene, and then I select File-->Save and
then it appeared the three formats: vtk, vtp and stl... Strange...
???...

  Sincerely,

Gonzalo Rojas Costa

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM, Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:e

> [...]
>>>         >>>
>>>         >>>
>>>         >>> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Daniel Haehn
>>>        <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>>        <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>__>
>>>

>>>         >>> wrote:
>>>         >>> > .stl export is easy: just do File->Save and switch the
>>>            output format
>>>         >>> > for the model to .stl
>>>         >>> >
>>>         >>> > Cheers,
>>>         >>> > Daniel
>>>         >>> >
>>>         >>> > On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Gonzalo Rojas Costa
>>>         >>> > <[hidden email]
>>>        <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>>        <mailto:[hidden email]
>>>
>>>        <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>>>         >>> >> Hi:
>>>         >>> >>
>>>         >>> >> How can i convert a model in vtk to stl format ?...  And

Re: Vtk to stl convertion

Julien Finet
Hi Gonzalo,

What you did is exactly the work around we suggested.
Based on the origin  (generated by a filter or loaded from a file), the models don't have the exact same behavior.
Again, this is a work around until the next stable release, this has been fixed in the nightly builds.

Regards,
Julien.

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Gonzalo Rojas Costa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>>         >>>
>>>         >>>
>>>         >>> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Daniel Haehn
>>>        <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>>        <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>__>
>>>

>>>         >>> wrote:
>>>         >>> > .stl export is easy: just do File->Save and switch the
>>>            output format
>>>         >>> > for the model to .stl
>>>         >>> >
>>>         >>> > Cheers,
>>>         >>> > Daniel
>>>         >>> >
>>>         >>> > On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Gonzalo Rojas Costa
>>>         >>> > <[hidden email]
>>>        <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>>        <mailto:[hidden email]__gmail.com
>>>
>>>        <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>>>         >>> >>
>>>         >>> >> How can i convert a model in vtk to stl format ?...  And

Re: Vtk to stl convertion

Gonzalo Rojas Costa
Hi Julien:

  When you will have a nightly build for Linux that include the r19142
fix ?... I asked that because you have newest nightly build only for
Windows and Mac, and not for Linux....