Warning Message While Downloading

Ziaei Torbati, Alireza
Hi,

I received the warning message while downloading Slicer (Nightly Build) on MAC OS X using download.slicer.org:

First message: “This file can harm your computer. Do you want to keep Slicer …. anyway?    DISCARD    KEEP"
Second Message: “This file may be harmful for you computer.    Cancel    Keep anyway"

Please advise.

Re: Warning Message While Downloading

Andrey Fedorov-2
Alireza, now that I had time to think and look at it from the perspective of the first time user ...

1) you probably have to enable installation of apps downloaded from anywhere in the "Preferences > Security & Privacy" settings (unless something changed recently), as shown in the screenshot below (yes, I know that for many this is very uncomfortable, and I don't blame you if you want to switch it back right after downloading Slicer, but you will need to remember to uncheck it every time you want to update Slicer). Too bad that you have to do this. To rephrase one of the hot political slogans - it appears that you cannot have both security&privacy and 3D Slicer at the same time - you have to choose one! :-D

Inline image 1

2) I am not sure about the issue you have with extensions. Perhaps you also need to turn off your firewall as in the screenshot below. Having said that, I've just tried to turn on firewall, and was still able to open extensions manager, while inside the Partners firewall, so I am not sure what is going on with your installation.

Inline image 3

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 9:42 AM, Ziaei Torbati, Alireza <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks a lot Andrey. I went ahead and installed the program; but the Extensions cannot be installed (Error Message when Extension Manager is clicked).

I uninstalled the entire program and reinstalled it again. Still Extensions cannot be installed.

Alireza

Re: Warning Message While Downloading

Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
Actually, you don't need to change your security preferences globally to run an unsigned app. When you want to run the app the first time, just control-click or right-click and select open, then choose to run the app.

-Mike

Re: Warning Message While Downloading

Ziaei Torbati, Alireza

Thanks a lot Andrey. It was helpful. The problem is solved!

Best,