changing default config file

Thomas Ballinger
Hello,
I'm keeping a copy of Slicer which has many users on a network somewhat up to date.  Every time I update slicer, every user has to change their application settings so their temp directory is no longer in their home folder, since on this network home folders have very small quotas.  Is there a way I could solve this problem with one of the following solutions, or something else?
-change the default settings for when a user opens slicer the first time
-tell slicer to inherit settings from the previous .3D Slicer Version x.x Alpharc file in a user's direcory

Thanks,
Thomas Ballinger

Re: changing default config file

swallace
Just to increase the number of folks seeing this question, I'm cc'ing the
devel list.

> Hello,
> I'm keeping a copy of Slicer which has many users on a network somewhat up
> to date.  Every time I update slicer, every user has to change their
> application settings so their temp directory is no longer in their home
> folder, since on this network home folders have very small quotas.  Is
> there
> a way I could solve this problem with one of the following solutions, or
> something else?
> -change the default settings for when a user opens slicer the first time
> -tell slicer to inherit settings from the previous .3D Slicer Version x.x
> Alpharc file in a user's direcory
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas Ballinger
> subject

Re: [slicer-devel] changing default config file

I like the idea of looking for (and importing) older versions of the
config file when a new version runs.  This will probably be easier to do
in the context of slicer4 (Qt has a nicer interface - doesn't use the
registry on windows).

Can you add this as a feature request in the bug tracker?

On Jul/11/10 4:25 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Just to increase the number of folks seeing this question, I'm cc'ing the
> devel list.
>
>> Hello,
>> I'm keeping a copy of Slicer which has many users on a network somewhat up
>> to date.  Every time I update slicer, every user has to change their
>> application settings so their temp directory is no longer in their home
>> folder, since on this network home folders have very small quotas.  Is
>> there
>> a way I could solve this problem with one of the following solutions, or
>> something else?
>> -change the default settings for when a user opens slicer the first time
>> -tell slicer to inherit settings from the previous .3D Slicer Version x.x
>> Alpharc file in a user's direcory
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Thomas Ballinger
>> subject

Re: [slicer-devel] changing default config file

Thomas Ballinger
That sounds like a good idea, I'll do that.
Does anyone have an idea for a hack that would temporarily solve this problem?  Could I try to build my own Slicer and change a header file somewhere that defines the defaults, or is that more trouble than its worth?   As I read over my initial question, it sounds like I was proposing a change to the software, which is great, but I'd settle for a hack at the moment if it were possible.
Tom

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Isaiah Norton
It sounds like your users are all running whatever is default in the path anyway, so how about putting a wrapper around the real (err, meta..) binary which would either

- set the default tempdir in ~/ to instead be a symlink to something more appropriate
- pre-emptively change the Slicer temp directory key setting in the ".3D Slicer vblah" file
- programatically modify the setting

You could probably do number three directly with an "--exec" statement, and this might be the best if you want it to be cross-platform. If it's just in linux on the SPL accounts you can do the other two with an easy bash script. Just remember to pass "$@"

-Isaiah