continued prbms with Slicer crashing

Hoppe, Anna L
Hi,

I run 3D Slicer on a 64-bit linux machine with Intel's i7 quad-core CPU (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU, 860  @ 2.80GHz). I have had a lot of trouble with Slicer being sluggish and crashing. Through this mailing list I was told that if I upgrade to either a Radeon 6xxx or 7xxx series graphics card Slicer will perform better. However, after looking into these graphics cards it seems that they all require power supplies greater than 260 watt. I only have a 260 watt power supply available. Does anyone know of a graphics card that will work better with a 260 W power supply than my current card which is the Radeon HD 4650? Has anyone encountered a similar problem as this?

Thanks for all the help. It is appreciated.
Anna

Re: continued prbms with Slicer crashing

Murat Maga
Anna,

When does Slicer crash or where do you experience the sluggishness? How big
are your datasets?

If it crashes during 3D renderings, then yes, your problem is most likely
related with your GPU and/or lack of hardware acceleration or proper OpenGL
support in your graphics driver. I don't think you'll be able to power (and
potentially fit) a decent graphics card with 260W power supply. At work we
have these i7 Dells, which run great for everything else, but not for 3D
renderings (we have the Nvidia equivalent of your 4650). They don't have
adequate power, moreover I cannot physically fit a full-size GPU in there. I
expect you'll face similar problems. Since you have a decent CPU, you can
try and see if switching to CPU based rendering helps you at all.

However, if Slicer is sluggish in general and crashes while loading a
dataset without doing any 3D rendering, then you are facing other issues
which may not have anything to do with your GPU.

I am not a Linux person, but usual suspects are incompatible
libraries/library locations. Is there an error message when it crashes? I am
sure someone here can suggest a Linux distribution that is known to work
with Slicer right of the box. I would start with that and see if you still
encounter issues.

Good luck.