debug versus release version of Slicer3-real.exe and Slicer3.exe

debug versus release version of Slicer3-real.exe and Slicer3.exe

Haiyong Xu-2
Hi list,

I have built Slicer3-real.exe for both debug and release versions. The
are located at directories: Slicer3-build/bin/Debug/ and
Slicer3-build/bin/RelWithDebInfo/. However, only one of them is
working with the Slicer3-build/Slicer3.exe. I use cygwin on Windows to
run the Slicer3 in the following way:

$ ./Slicer3.exe --launch rxvt&

and in the rxvt term:

$ ./bin/Debug/Slicer3-real.exe

I guess this is because Slicer3.exe set PATH environment variable to a
pre-defined version, either Debug or Release. My question is that how
Slicer3.exe is built (compiled and linked)? I couldn't find a C/C++
source file which is used to build Slicer3.exe. Thanks

Regards,
Haiyong Xu

Re: debug versus release version of Slicer3-real.exe and Slicer3.exe

Hi Haiyong -

Yes, that makes sense - the launcher code goes through the options
(Debug, RelWithDebInfo, Release, MinSize,Rel) and uses the first one it
finds.  In your case, it always finds the Debug since that's the first
on the list.

For your debugging you can hack around this by editing
Slicer3-build/lib/Slicer3/launch.tcl and setting the ::BUILD_SUBDIR
explicitly to whatever you want it to be.  Look at around line 310.

Slicer3.exe is just a staticly linked interpreter that runs launch.tcl
to set up the paths:

http://www.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Slicer3:Launcher

-Steve