installing Slicer3.6.2 on redhat 5.5 - GLIBCXX_3.4.9 not found

installing Slicer3.6.2 on redhat 5.5 - GLIBCXX_3.4.9 not found

Tina Kapur
Hi, I just tried to install Slicer 3.6.2 (64 bit) on a 64-bit Redhat
Enterprise 5.5 box for a collaborator at U Michigan.  When I try to
launch Slicer, I get an error message saying GLIBCXX_3.4.9 not found.
When I do "rpm -q glibc", I get glibc-2.5-49 as the installed version.
Any suggestions on what to do?  Should I download a later version of
glibc from somewhere into a local directory, or is a more invasive
solution needed?

Thanks.
-Tina

Re: installing Slicer3.6.2 on redhat 5.5 - GLIBCXX_3.4.9 not found

Hi Tina -

This is probably an unfortunate byproduct of our switch to Ubuntu 8.04
as the build machine for the nightly and release builds of slicer3.6.  I
had thought that a 2 year old Ubuntu would be pretty generally
compatible, but I guess not.

Did you have luck installing the newer glibc?  If not, I guess we'll
need to see about building on redhat/centos or installing the older
glibc on ubuntu.

FWIW, slicer 3.4 should work on the redhat machine.

-Steve

On 02/07/2011 09:52 PM, Tina Kapur wrote:

> Hi, I just tried to install Slicer 3.6.2 (64 bit) on a 64-bit Redhat
> Enterprise 5.5 box for a collaborator at U Michigan.  When I try to
> launch Slicer, I get an error message saying GLIBCXX_3.4.9 not found.
> When I do "rpm -q glibc", I get glibc-2.5-49 as the installed version.
> Any suggestions on what to do?  Should I download a later version of
> glibc from somewhere into a local directory, or is a more invasive
> solution needed?
>
> Thanks.
> -Tina

Re: installing Slicer3.6.2 on redhat 5.5 - GLIBCXX_3.4.9 not found

Daniel Haehn
Hi Tina, Hi Steve,

I ran into the same error here at the SBIA cluster at UPENN. The systems run CentOS 5.5. I don't think an upgrade is planned.

Did you find a solution? What about installing the older glibc?

We can not use Slicer 3.4 because we leverage the new BRAINSfit tools in the Atlas Creator which we want to run on the cluster.

Thanks,
Daniel

On Feb 8, 2011, at 9:13 AM, Steve Pieper wrote:

> Hi Tina -
>
> This is probably an unfortunate byproduct of our switch to Ubuntu 8.04
> as the build machine for the nightly and release builds of slicer3.6.  I
> had thought that a 2 year old Ubuntu would be pretty generally
> compatible, but I guess not.
>
> Did you have luck installing the newer glibc?  If not, I guess we'll
> need to see about building on redhat/centos or installing the older
> glibc on ubuntu.
>
> FWIW, slicer 3.4 should work on the redhat machine.
>
> -Steve
>
> On 02/07/2011 09:52 PM, Tina Kapur wrote:
>> Hi, I just tried to install Slicer 3.6.2 (64 bit) on a 64-bit Redhat
>> Enterprise 5.5 box for a collaborator at U Michigan.  When I try to
>> launch Slicer, I get an error message saying GLIBCXX_3.4.9 not found.
>> When I do "rpm -q glibc", I get glibc-2.5-49 as the installed version.
>> Any suggestions on what to do?  Should I download a later version of
>> glibc from somewhere into a local directory, or is a more invasive
>> solution needed?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> -Tina

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.

Re: installing Slicer3.6.2 on redhat 5.5 - GLIBCXX_3.4.9 not found

Tina Kapur
Daniel, We are upgrading the Michigan system with new glibc this weekend.

-Tina