memory usage in 3DSlicer on Windows

Haiyong Xu-2
Hi there,

A quick question: how many memory could be used by "Slicer3-real.exe" process on Windows platform?

I developed a module for 3DSlicer on Windows, and found there is always a crash after "Slicer3-real.exe" process reaches about 1GByte memory. Following is from the debug console window:

ERROR: In c:\home\haxu\workspace\polypseg\3dslicer\slicer3-lib\vtk\common\vtkDataArrayTemplate.txx, line 198
vtkFloatArray (13014398): Unable to allocate 49807360 elements of size 4 bytes.

I thought this is probably due to a memory limit set by 3DSlicer because I have 6G physical memory installed and the total memory usage is only about 2G. I run Slicer 3.4 on a Widnows 7 64-bit OS.

Appreciate any hints or answers.

--Haiyong

Re: memory usage in 3DSlicer on Windows

Hi Haiyong -

Slicer's currently built as a "win32" application, so even on a 64 bit
windows it only has access to ~2G (typically less).  There are 64 bit
builds for linux for now.  Hopefully future slicer versions will support
64 bit windows too.

-Steve

On Mar/23/10 12:19 PM, Haiyong Xu wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> A quick question: how many memory could be used by "Slicer3-real.exe"
> process on Windows platform?
>
> I developed a module for 3DSlicer on Windows, and found there is always
> a crash after "Slicer3-real.exe" process reaches about 1GByte memory.
> Following is from the debug console window:
>
> ERROR: In
> c:\home\haxu\workspace\polypseg\3dslicer\slicer3-lib\vtk\common\vtkDataArrayTemplate.txx,
> line 198
> vtkFloatArray (13014398): Unable to allocate 49807360 elements of size 4
> bytes.
>
> I thought this is probably due to a memory limit set by 3DSlicer because
> I have 6G physical memory installed and the total memory usage is only
> about 2G. I run Slicer 3.4 on a Widnows 7 64-bit OS.
>
> Appreciate any hints or answers.
>
> --Haiyong

Re: memory usage in 3DSlicer on Windows

Haiyong Xu-2
Thanks Steve. I will port my Slicer module to Linux finally.

Now, I want to reduce the memory usage in my module, especially those
filters in the VTK pipeline. What's the better way to do it?

1. I set ReleaseDataFlag on for each filter as recommended in VTK faq
(How to handle large data sets in VTK).
2. I separate the vtkDataObject from the filter that generated it
(http://www.visitusers.org/index.php?title=Memory_Management).

Both work great. I just wonder is there any other method to reduce
memory usage by VTK pipeline?

--Haiyong

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Haiyong -
>
> Slicer's currently built as a "win32" application, so even on a 64 bit
> windows it only has access to ~2G (typically less).  There are 64 bit builds
> for linux for now.  Hopefully future slicer versions will support 64 bit
> windows too.
>
> -Steve
>
> On Mar/23/10 12:19 PM, Haiyong Xu wrote:
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> A quick question: how many memory could be used by "Slicer3-real.exe"
>> process on Windows platform?
>>
>> I developed a module for 3DSlicer on Windows, and found there is always
>> a crash after "Slicer3-real.exe" process reaches about 1GByte memory.
>> Following is from the debug console window:
>>
>> ERROR: In
>>
>> c:\home\haxu\workspace\polypseg\3dslicer\slicer3-lib\vtk\common\vtkDataArrayTemplate.txx,
>> line 198
>> vtkFloatArray (13014398): Unable to allocate 49807360 elements of size 4
>> bytes.
>>
>> I thought this is probably due to a memory limit set by 3DSlicer because
>> I have 6G physical memory installed and the total memory usage is only
>> about 2G. I run Slicer 3.4 on a Widnows 7 64-bit OS.
>>
>> Appreciate any hints or answers.
>>
>> --Haiyong

>> subject

Re: memory usage in 3DSlicer on Windows

Hi Haiyong -

Those look like good ideas to me.  The only other thing I've seen people
to is run each step in the pipeline as a standalone operation (so you
don't keep all the intermediate volumes in memory while the whole
pipeline exectutes).

Best of luck,
Steve