problems with colors

Paul Meurice
Hello everybody,

I use slicer since at least one year and that is a great piece of software even if I use just a few of all functionalities.

However I encounter problems with color on label maps. I try to add my own color file in the color module and there is no problems here. Then I apply it to my label map in the Volumes module. Label maps are either 8bit or 16bit files.
And here I have big troubles on slice layouts:
- sometime it works,
- sometime a few colors are false but the label name is good for these colors,
- sometime I can't even manage to change the label map and put my own one,
- when I save the scene and load it on a new computer the colors are not displayed and I usually can't manage to apply my own color file.

I tried to find errors in my color file but I haven't seen any one.
Is there any thing I may do badly?
Has any body had such troubles and found ways to solve that? Or is it a known bug (I haven't seen it on mantis)?

By the way I work on the MacOS/intel 3.4.2 release, but had troubles with all the releases I used.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english level.

Paul

Re: problems with colors

swallace
Hi Paul,

Could you send me your colour table? I will try to reproduce and
troubleshoot your problem.

Thanks,

Stuart Wallace
[hidden email]

> Hello everybody,
>
> I use slicer since at least one year and that is a great piece of software
> even if I use just a few of all functionalities.
>
> However I encounter problems with color on label maps. I try to add my own
> color file in the color module and there is no problems here. Then I apply
> it to my label map in the Volumes module. Label maps are either 8bit or
> 16bit files.
> And here I have big troubles on slice layouts:
> - sometime it works,
> - sometime a few colors are false but the label name is good for these
> colors,
> - sometime I can't even manage to change the label map and put my own one,
> - when I save the scene and load it on a new computer the colors are not
> displayed and I usually can't manage to apply my own color file.
>
> I tried to find errors in my color file but I haven't seen any one.
> Is there any thing I may do badly?
> Has any body had such troubles and found ways to solve that? Or is it a
> known bug (I haven't seen it on mantis)?
>
> By the way I work on the MacOS/intel 3.4.2 release, but had troubles with
> all the releases I used.
>
> Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english level.
>
> Paul
> subject

Re: problems with colors

Aucoin, Nicole
Hello Paul,

Could you send me a sample 16 bit label map and your custom colour file?
If you go to the Volumes module, display tab, in order to change the
colour node associated with a label map, you need to double check that
the label map volume is selected from the Active Volume drop down menu.
There are some known bugs about using the editor module with any colour
node other than the default, unfortunately you have to set the Lookup
Table in both the Volumes Display pane as well as in the Editor module.
If you're using a custom colour table, you  have to make sure that you
save it to disk in order to be able to use it the next time you open
Slicer or a scene using it, you can do so either using the Save button
in the Colors module, or via the File Save pop up window. Then use the
Application Settings, Module Settings pop up to set the User defined
color file paths to tell Slicer where to look for your colour files on
start up.
For more specific help, I'd need to see a step by step list of how
you're using Slicer, including all button clicks so that I can reproduce
and debug your problems.

Nicole

Paul Meurice wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I use slicer since at least one year and that is a great piece of software even if I use just a few of all functionalities.
>
> However I encounter problems with color on label maps. I try to add my own color file in the color module and there is no problems here. Then I apply it to my label map in the Volumes module. Label maps are either 8bit or 16bit files.
> And here I have big troubles on slice layouts:
> - sometime it works,
> - sometime a few colors are false but the label name is good for these colors,
> - sometime I can't even manage to change the label map and put my own one,
> - when I save the scene and load it on a new computer the colors are not displayed and I usually can't manage to apply my own color file.
>
> I tried to find errors in my color file but I haven't seen any one.
> Is there any thing I may do badly?
> Has any body had such troubles and found ways to solve that? Or is it a known bug (I haven't seen it on mantis)?
>
> By the way I work on the MacOS/intel 3.4.2 release, but had troubles with all the releases I used.
>
> Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english level.
>
> Paul

Re: problems with colors

swallace
Hi Paul-

I was unable to reproduce your problem, but wanted to pass along a couple
of suggestions; try these and please let us know if they don't work.

1. In the slice viewer, click on your label map. Go to edit properties. In
the Display tab on the left hand side, make sure that your colour table of
choice is selected.

2. In the Editor module, under 'Edit Selected Label Map', make sure that
when you click on the label box (the one with the colour), it has the
correct colour table referenced (this is the 'Color Select' box).

Making sure that these things were properly selected for my colour table
got me correct results.

Please let us know if you run into more problems.

Stuart