"ideal" memory usage

Lars Grant-West
After having 3D slicer quit several times while trying to create a model, I upped the memory (under cache settings) to use 20 gigabytes of memory. The cache free buffer is at 200 mb.

I have two questions:

1. Is there a recommended ratio between the cache and the cache free buffer? I don’t know the purpose the free buffer serves.

2. Should I instead resize the initial stack of images? My file is 16 bit, 825x724px with 1400 layers.

Thank you!

Lars

P.S. Incidentally, as it turned out the file the program was initially choking on ended up turning out a final model with over 11 million vertices, so It was pretty huge.

Re: "ideal" memory usage

Andras Lasso-2

Cropping input images to the minimum necessary size and resolution is advisable to reduce memory need and computation time. You can use the Crop volume module for this purpose.

Andras