registration

gabriele pasqua

Dear all

Please find attached images, showing result of registration and the T2 image I want to register with DTI.

I have some questions:

1.     Which kind of Inizialization Mode should I use for this kind of registration (I’ve used CenterOfHead), since we are talking about spinal cord MRI?

2.     When should I do the registration? Once I get the baseline image or at the end of the DTI processing (so, after the computation of FA map)?

3.     Which image should I use as moving image, since I will do the ROI for FA values calculation on FA image?

thanks

Gabriele

registration result.png (515K) Download Attachment
T2.png (977K) Download Attachment

Re: registration

Dominik Meier-2
Hi Gabriele

The 4 links below show examples of the registration library involving DTI. They should provide detailed pointers.
The basic two choices are:

 A)  register to DWI space. This has the advantage that no resampling of the diffusion data is necessary. The downside is that this space is affected by distortions and lower resolution. Also you may need to repeat the registration for all other  images of interest.
 B) register to a scalar reference, like a T2 or T1. This will bring better resolution and avoid ROI issues with distortion , but requires that the DWI is resampled. I would favor this option since Slicer does provide tools to resample DTI data. The library examples show the details.

Initialization mode depends on how good the initial alignment is. If you have not the entire head in the FOV, then Center of Head is probably not a good choice. Use Center of Geometry instead or do a manual pre-alignment if that doesn't work. Start with rigid/affine first and then proceed to higher DOF.
You can resample the DTI later, so registering after DTI processing is fine. The only caveat is resoution. If you have high anisotropy in your DWI you may have to upsample the DWI first to avoid directional bias (see examples also).

Best Regards,
Dominik