screenshots for video automatically...

Gonzalo Rojas Costa
Hi:

  How can I get screenshots automatically to create a rotating movie ?...

  Sincerely,

Gonzalo Rojas Costa

Re: screenshots for video automatically...

Steve Pieper
Hi Gonzalo -

We typically suggest using platform-specific tools for this purpose.  For example, recordMyDesktop on linux works very well for this.  On mac and windows PCs there are similar free and commercial solutions.

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Gonzalo Rojas Costa <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi:

 How can I get screenshots automatically to create a rotating movie ?...

 Sincerely,

Gonzalo Rojas Costa

Re: screenshots for video automatically...

Attila Nagy
Hi,

Steve, there did exist a tcl script you put together sometime maybe two years ago (maybe around 3.2), that rendered and captured every computed 3D view frame as a PNG file. That worked quite well. It even had a button down around the view controls, to the left. Does this still exist?

That was quite useful, maybe would worth a review.

Attila

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: screenshots for video automatically...

Steve Pieper
Hi Attila -

Saving a screen capture (one frame) is described here:

http://www.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Modules:MainApplicationGUI-Documentation-3.6#Screen_Captures_.28.22Screenshots.22.29

Also, with a simple command you can make this happen every frame - here's a recent thread with some discussion:

http://massmail.spl.harvard.edu/public-archives/slicer-users/2011/004207.html

Lately I've been using the recordMyDesktop approach because the quality is good and it captures the GUI and the cursor.  On the other hand, saving the render window each frame allows you to exactly control the frames that are captured so they both have uses.

-Steve

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Attila Nagy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Steve, there did exist a tcl script you put together sometime maybe two years ago (maybe around 3.2), that rendered and captured every computed 3D view frame as a PNG file. That worked quite well. It even had a button down around the view controls, to the left. Does this still exist?

That was quite useful, maybe would worth a review.

Attila

Re: screenshots for video automatically...

Attila Nagy
Thanks for the pointers!

Yes, I do believe that having a similar tool (that's just as platform-independent as Slicer itself is) a great idea!
On the other hand: it serves different purposes than te whole desktop recording approach - which is actually very good too, given the amount of free tools available (recordmydesktop is available on Solaris too! :))

Thanks,