slicer/na-mic web stuff upgraded, some things broken this morning

slicer/na-mic web stuff upgraded, some things broken this morning

Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
Last night, the slicer.org and na-mic.org web infrastructure was upgraded to semi-modern versions of PHP, MySQL, and MediaWiki for the first time in at least six years.

The main web sites and wikis are working, but multiple things are broken due to the sheer number of changes between the old and new versions of the software.

In particular, the Mantis bug tracker and the CLI documentation are broken.  The page styles of the wiki pages has also reverted to a default version.  I’ll be working on the fixes today.

Please report bugs to [hidden email] .

Thanks.
—Mike

Re: slicer/na-mic web stuff upgraded, some things broken this morning

Andrey Fedorov-2
Mike,

this is great news!

Does this mean any changes in terms of capabilities for the end-users
(for example, does it mean we will be able to embed YouTube videos),
or these changes will affect "the guts" of the setup to make it more
reliable and such? (on the superficial look, I don't see any visible
changes in the interface)

If there are changes in capabilities that users can leverage, what
would be a good reference of what is supposed now to work that didn't
work before?

No rush with this, I understand many things need to be sorted out.

AF

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 8:15 AM, Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Last night, the slicer.org and na-mic.org web infrastructure was upgraded to semi-modern versions of PHP, MySQL, and MediaWiki for the first time in at least six years.
>
> The main web sites and wikis are working, but multiple things are broken due to the sheer number of changes between the old and new versions of the software.
>
> In particular, the Mantis bug tracker and the CLI documentation are broken.  The page styles of the wiki pages has also reverted to a default version.  I’ll be working on the fixes today.
>
> Please report bugs to [hidden email] .
>
> Thanks.
> —Mike

> http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error
> dispose of the e-mail.

Re: slicer/na-mic web stuff upgraded, some things broken this morning

Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
Thanks.

The biggest potential win for developers and users is that contemporary mediawiki extensions can be installed. Previously, our obsolete mediawiki version limited us to the point that we had to hack the source of several extensions just to get them to function.

Several people have suggested improving the editing experience in our mediawikis, and that should be possible now that we’re running the current version.

Once these two sites are cleaned up, I’ll be working on the rest of the SPL’s web sites to get them current and modularized so we don’t have version drift again.

—Mike

On Dec 10, 2015, at 9:25 AM, Andrey Fedorov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> this is great news!
>
> Does this mean any changes in terms of capabilities for the end-users
> (for example, does it mean we will be able to embed YouTube videos),
> or these changes will affect "the guts" of the setup to make it more
> reliable and such? (on the superficial look, I don't see any visible
> changes in the interface)
>
> If there are changes in capabilities that users can leverage, what
> would be a good reference of what is supposed now to work that didn't
> work before?
>
> No rush with this, I understand many things need to be sorted out.
>
> AF
>
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 8:15 AM, Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Last night, the slicer.org and na-mic.org web infrastructure was upgraded to semi-modern versions of PHP, MySQL, and MediaWiki for the first time in at least six years.
>>
>> The main web sites and wikis are working, but multiple things are broken due to the sheer number of changes between the old and new versions of the software.
>>
>> In particular, the Mantis bug tracker and the CLI documentation are broken.  The page styles of the wiki pages has also reverted to a default version.  I’ll be working on the fixes today.
>>
>> Please report bugs to [hidden email] .
>>
>> Thanks.
>> —Mike

>> The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is
>> addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail
>> contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance HelpLine at
>> http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error
>> but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and properly
>> dispose of the e-mail.

Re: slicer/na-mic web stuff upgraded, some things broken this morning

Johan Andruejol
Hey Michael,

First of all thanks for the upgrade !
I have been trying to create an account on the na-mic wiki [1] to enter a project for the na-mic week.
Unfortunately I get the following error:

Error sending mail:

Unknown error in PHP's mail() function.

Do you think it's related to the update ?

Thanks !
Johan

[1]: http://www.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/Special:RequestAccount

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 9:34 AM, Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks.

The biggest potential win for developers and users is that contemporary mediawiki extensions can be installed. Previously, our obsolete mediawiki version limited us to the point that we had to hack the source of several extensions just to get them to function.

Several people have suggested improving the editing experience in our mediawikis, and that should be possible now that we’re running the current version.

Once these two sites are cleaned up, I’ll be working on the rest of the SPL’s web sites to get them current and modularized so we don’t have version drift again.

—Mike

On Dec 10, 2015, at 9:25 AM, Andrey Fedorov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> this is great news!
>
> Does this mean any changes in terms of capabilities for the end-users
> (for example, does it mean we will be able to embed YouTube videos),
> or these changes will affect "the guts" of the setup to make it more
> reliable and such? (on the superficial look, I don't see any visible
> changes in the interface)
>
> If there are changes in capabilities that users can leverage, what
> would be a good reference of what is supposed now to work that didn't
> work before?
>
> No rush with this, I understand many things need to be sorted out.
>
> AF
>
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 8:15 AM, Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Last night, the slicer.org and na-mic.org web infrastructure was upgraded to semi-modern versions of PHP, MySQL, and MediaWiki for the first time in at least six years.
>>
>> The main web sites and wikis are working, but multiple things are broken due to the sheer number of changes between the old and new versions of the software.
>>
>> In particular, the Mantis bug tracker and the CLI documentation are broken.  The page styles of the wiki pages has also reverted to a default version.  I’ll be working on the fixes today.
>>
>> Please report bugs to [hidden email] .
>>
>> Thanks.
>> —Mike

>> The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is
>> addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail
>> contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance HelpLine at
>> http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error
>> but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and properly
>> dispose of the e-mail.

Johan Andruejol
R&D Engineer, Kitware Inc.
http://www.kitware.com/
Phone: (919) 869-8860

Re: slicer/na-mic web stuff upgraded, some things broken this morning

Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D.
Thanks for the bug report.  Please try again now.

I believe the problem is fixed, so new project week accounts can move forward!

—Mike

On Dec 10, 2015, at 12:22 PM, Johan Andruejol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> The main web sites and wikis are working, but multiple things are broken due to the sheer number of changes between the old and new versions of the software.
>>
>> In particular, the Mantis bug tracker and the CLI documentation are broken.  The page styles of the wiki pages has also reverted to a default version.  I’ll be working on the fixes today.
>>
>> Please report bugs to [hidden email] .
>>
>> Thanks.
>> —Mike

>> The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is
>> addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail
>> contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance HelpLine at
>> http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error
>> but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and properly

Johan Andruejol
R&D Engineer, Kitware Inc.
http://www.kitware.com/
Phone: (919) 869-8860

Re: slicer/na-mic web stuff upgraded, some things broken this morning

Johan Andruejol
I managed to submit my account.
Thanks for the quick response !

Johan

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Halle, Michael Wilfred,Ph.D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> The main web sites and wikis are working, but multiple things are broken due to the sheer number of changes between the old and new versions of the software.
>>
>> In particular, the Mantis bug tracker and the CLI documentation are broken.  The page styles of the wiki pages has also reverted to a default version.  I’ll be working on the fixes today.
>>
>> Please report bugs to [hidden email] .
>>
>> Thanks.
>> —Mike

>> The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is
>> addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail
>> contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance HelpLine at
>> http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error
>> but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and properly

Johan Andruejol
R&D Engineer, Kitware Inc.
http://www.kitware.com/
Phone: <a href="tel:%28919%29%20869-8860" value="&#43;19198698860" target="_blank"> (919) 869-8860

--
Johan Andruejol
R&D Engineer, Kitware Inc.

Re: slicer/na-mic web stuff upgraded, some things broken this morning

Michael, this is awesome. This can improve wiki pages a lot.

Just one example: It has been always quite annoying that when you clicked on an image it took you to the page of the image instead of a relevant target page. Now we can specify a link for an image (with the ‘link’ attribute). I’ve updated the project template page and fixed our project page to jump to the project list page when somebody clicks on the project week’s logo:

http://www.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/2016_Winter_Project_Week:TrackedUltrasoundStandardization

Andras

> [...]

>> The main web sites and wikis are working, but multiple things are broken due to the sheer number of changes between the old and new versions of the software.
>>
>> In particular, the Mantis bug tracker and the CLI documentation are broken.  The page styles of the wiki pages has also reverted to a default version.  I’ll be working on the fixes today.
>>
>> Please report bugs to [hidden email] .
>>
>> Thanks.
>> —Mike

>> The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is
>> addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail
>> contains patient information, please contact the Partners Compliance HelpLine at
>> http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error
>> but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and properly

Johan Andruejol
R&D Engineer, Kitware Inc.
http://www.kitware.com/
Phone: (919) 869-8860

Re: [slicer-devel] slicer/na-mic web stuff upgraded, some things broken this morning

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin
Hi Mike,

This is outstanding ! Thanks for working on upgrading mediawikis, php, mysql, issue tracker and many other components.

Could you consider installing the Variables extension. See below for the rational.
See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Variables

> rest of the SPL’s web sites to get them current and modularized so we don’t have version drift again

+100

Hi Andras,

> can specify a link for an image

Very good point. This has been a problem for quite some time.

I started updating the Annoucements page. Before updating the full page, I would suggest to install the Variables mediawiki extension.

That would allow to avoid duplicating the url. By having this:

{{#vardefine:link|https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC11x1iQ7ydSIFYw4L6wveXg?view_as=public}}

Image:SlicerYouTube.png| [{{#var:link}} 3D Slicer YouTube channel] has been reorganized, new videos developed by the 3D Slicer community added to the channel {{new}}|link={{#var:link}}

instead of:

Image:SlicerYouTube.png| [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC11x1iQ7ydSIFYw4L6wveXg?view_as=public 3D Slicer YouTube channel] has been reorganized, new videos developed by the 3D Slicer community added to the channel {{new}}|link=https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC11x1iQ7ydSIFYw4L6wveXg?view_as=public

Thanks
Jc

+1 919 869 8849