slicer unstable

bodd
Dear Forum
I am using 3D slicer on a lenovo thinkpad carbon X1 with an Intel® HD Graphics 520. The computer has a 16BG memory and 256GB SSD HD.
I am experiencing the slicer software platform to be unstable. I am trying to do volume rendering and greyscale segmentation of the vascular system from stacks of CT images (0.65 mm x 1 mm x 1 mm) approximately up to 1000 images (516KB *1000 = 0.5 GB). The problems are either the 3D output just looks weird (has apparently been described by others) or the system simply crashes. It seems that if the number of slices is reduced I get slightly better stability. I am wondering if the problems are related to the graphics card, or problems using the memory? I also run MeVisLab and it does handle the same data with good stability and processing is pretty fast. So the computer and graphics card seems to be able to handle the amount of data. But unfortunately I only have access to the unregistered version of MeVisLab, and with that the limitations that comes with it. So I would prefer to us slicer instead. I would be very grateful for any help, that can make slicer run more stable on my system.
Best,
Jesper Carl