very basic question about models

Anka Kochanowska
Hi!
I am a little bit confused and cannot find Slicer's definition of model so, my questions are:

What is model?
What is it for?
How is it used?

Is there a document that will tell me this?
I am using Slicer 3.4 and it is not in the Documentation 3.4.

Anka

Re: very basic question about models

Isaiah Norton
Hi Anka,

Please see the Slicer Minute Tutorial for some example uses, available
here:

http://www.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Slicer3.4:Training

Also see Part 3 of the Slicer Visualization Tutorial from the same page
for a demonstration of model creation and modification tools

"Models" are used to represent various 3D structured data - most often
surfaces (ie: organ, bone, cortex, or tumor border). Internally, models
are represented as VTK datatypes specifying various fundamental geometry
such as point clouds, hyperstreamlines, or simple polygon vertices.
There are links to VTK documentation sources on the Slicer.org developer
orientation page.

-Isaiah

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 11:58 -0400, Anka Kochanowska wrote:

> Hi!
> I am a little bit confused and cannot find Slicer's definition of
> model so, my questions are:
>
> What is model?
> What is it for?
> How is it used?
>
> Is there a document that will tell me this?
> I am using Slicer 3.4 and it is not in the Documentation 3.4.
>
> Anka

Re: very basic question about models

Anka Kochanowska
Thank you very much!

I think, that my confusion is caused by the fact that some of the loaded data shows as model, some does not.

I went through tutorials before I sent the question.
I understood model as representation of data...

Anka